ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DreamerBeliever
India

Help Needed

Post by DreamerBeliever » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 am

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well and more importantly safe.

I have been researching for last 6 months and I now ready to apply for the Global Talent Visa to Tech Nation (Techno-Business role) in the next 3 weeks. My recommendation letters/ evidences are lined up. I have NOT taken any help of an immigration lawyer and am planning to do this application by myself.

Request to clear a few doubts on my Global Talent Visa application:

Background:
  • I am presently based in London. Just last month, I have just finished a 1-year full time Masters programme from a premier London Based institution
  • I am already an MBA and a BEng (from India). I have a total of 16 years experience (all of it in India), but only the last 3 years in a NASDAQ listed Travel Technology Company. Previously I have also worked in Business Development roles in Consumer Goods, Retail and Manufacturing, which had digital elements to the role, but it was primarily Business (not Tech)
Doubts:
  • Because of working in a Travel-Tech firm only within the last 5 years, I am planning to apply as Exceptional Promise (not Exceptional Talent). But I am worried that because I am 40 years and already have 16 years experience, would that be grounds for rejection for "Promise"?
  • I currently do not have a job. Actually Early March 2020, I got a verbal confirmation from a UK based Digital Transformation company that they will sponsor my Tier-2 General work Visa. But unfortunately since then, due to Covid pandemic, the hiring is now frozen.
    My current plan is to get a get a full-time job and then work on my Start-up idea which is in the Digital Technology sector - which is what I am mentioning in my Personal Statement.
    But applying for the Global Talent Visa when I DO NOT have a job, would that impact my application?
  • I am actually MENTORING Entrepreneurs on structured programmes for the Royal Academy of Engineering, UK and one more mentoring programme for my college. In my application, I am considering Key Criteria 2 - Proof of recognition for work outside your immediate occupation that has contributed to the advancement of the sector.
    But with not having a current regular job, if I mention MENTORING as my CURRENT job, would that diminish my chances because then the "outside the immediate occupation" becomes the actual job. Or would it be better if I leave the Current Role / Current Company in the application, as a student?
  • Is help from an immigration expert a must?
Request if someone can kindly help me. I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Best
Yours truly

DreamerBeliever
India

Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise

Post by DreamerBeliever » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 am

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are doing well and safe.

I have been researching for last 6 months and I now ready to apply for the Global Talent Visa to Tech Nation (Techno-Business role) in the next 3 weeks .

Background:
  • I am presently based in London. Just last month, I have just finished a 1-year full time Masters programme from a premier London Based institution
  • I am already an MBA and a BEng (from India). I have a total of 16 years multi-industry experience (all of it in India)
Doubts:
  • Because of working in a Technology firm only within the last 5 years, I am planning to apply as Exceptional Promise (not Exceptional Talent). But because I am 40 years old and already have 16 years experience, would that be grounds for rejection for "Promise"?
  • I currently do not have a job, would that reduce my chances?
  • I have a verbal agreement to join a Digital Transformation firm here in London (after this Covid crisis normalises), but nothing in writing. I also have tested the viability of a Business Idea (college accelerator) and will pursue it in the future in the UK. Can I mention these 2 points in my Personal Statement?
  • I am MENTORING Entrepreneurs on structured programmes for the Royal Academy of Engineering, UK and another mentoring programme for my college. Should I mention MENTORING as my CURRENT job? (and if I do, would that then change the meaning of the "outside the immediate occupation" (Key Criteria No. 2)?
Request if someone can kindly help me clear these doubts. I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Best
Deepak

inboxdarpan1
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise

Post by inboxdarpan1 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm

About your doubts:
1. What I have read on one blog weblink removed by moderator, that there were a lot of people who had 10 years or around of experience while applying. (I am also not sure if you have to choose 'exceptional talent' or 'exceptional promise' route, or they choose it for you. I asked a question here weblink removed by moderator
2. Read the criteria in official guide of tech-nation visa and see if you can fit your business idea and it's validation in line with any of the given criteria.
3. You don't really need to have a job, but I think this is going to be one big strength in your application that you mentor entrepreneurs for Royal academy of engineering. Try to get someone eminent from there to sign a recommendation letter for you, and you will be set. (And yes, it can be termed as doing something outside of your job as you were here for studying and you were doing this out of sheer will)

Also, for evidences and recommendations, try to find out which of your works fit which key/qualifying criteria and prepare them as evidences. It is about creating a cohesive story that shows that you are worth your salt.

JasK
Newly Registered

Re: Help Needed

Post by JasK » Mon May 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi,

I read this before as well in a forum that
“Despite applying via the exceptional promise route this application has been judged by exceptional talent criteria. This is due to the candidate has 8 years of work experience and no reasoning why they should be judged via EP criteria”
I suggest to consult an immigration lawyer and there are loads who provide free consultancy for 15-30 mins.

Regards,
Jas

JasK
Newly Registered

Post by JasK » Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi Deepak,

Re - Regarding Exceptional Promise or Exceptional Talent
I read it somewhere even if you apply for Exceptional promise, they check your work experience and can review your application on Exceptional Talent terms. I suggest to check with an immigration lawyer

I currently do not have a job, would that reduce my chances?
Re Its always recommended to have an active job
But suggest to mention your business that will enhance your application
Also, you stated you are mentoring Entrepreneurs on structured programmes for the Royal Academy of Engineering, UK and another mentoring programme for my college. This is a good point. Do specify this in your letter as this is one of the criteria'.

Regards,
Jas

krishnakumarg
- thin ice -
India

Post by krishnakumarg » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 pm

JasK wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Hi Deepak,

Re - Regarding Exceptional Promise or Exceptional Talent
I read it somewhere even if you apply for Exceptional promise, they check your work experience and can review your application on Exceptional Talent terms. I suggest to check with an immigration lawyer

I currently do not have a job, would that reduce my chances?
Re Its always recommended to have an active job
But suggest to mention your business that will enhance your application
Also, you stated you are mentoring Entrepreneurs on structured programmes for the Royal Academy of Engineering, UK and another mentoring programme for my college. This is a good point. Do specify this in your letter as this is one of the criteria'.

Regards,
Jas
"I read it somewhere - they check your work experience and can review your application on Exceptional Talent terms."

Absolutely untrue. There is no such provision anywhere in the entire guidance. You need to make the decision against the given criteria. You need to make this at the time of submitting Stage 1 endorsement application.

"Its always recommended to have an active job" - again untrue. Nowhere in the guidance states that having a job is a requisite. A lab mate from my PhD group has not held any job since her PhD graduation. She submitted a fellowship application, took a relaxing break for a few months, and her fellowship application was successful, and she got fast-track endorsed by UKRI in just 3 weeks. Even now, she still doesn't have a job.

She deferred her fellowship start to Feb 2021, and currently has no income whatsoever.