ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of English & Overseas Marriage Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PeteC
Newly Registered
Portugal

Proof of English & Overseas Marriage Certificate

Post by PeteC » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm about to press the button to apply for UK citizenship but got some qs about my proof of English and my marriage certificate.

I've done a 1-year post-grad programme at Birkbeck University of London, which isn't quite the same as a Bachelor/Master's/PhD. Would that be sufficient as the proof of English language?

Also, I'm married to a Naturalised British and will tell in the application that I'm so, but our marriage took place in Portugal about 2.5 years ago. I have an international marriage certificate issued by the Portuguese government, which comes in multiple languages, but can't find info if that's sufficient to prove that we're married.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of English & Overseas Marriage Certificate

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:57 pm

I've done a 1-year post-grad programme at Birkbeck University of London, which isn't quite the same as a Bachelor/Master's/PhD. Would that be sufficient as the proof of English language?
No, it won't meet the requirement. You need a UK degree, or a foreign degree with naric comparable and English assessment or you need the B1 English test from an ho approved test centre.

Any document that is not in English must be officially translated.

Also, presumably you hold PR or settled status??

And were physically present in the UK 3 years ago on the same date you apply?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PeteC
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by PeteC » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks @CR001.

So am I right to assume then the completion of a graduate certificate at Birkbeck, which was completed in London and therefore in English, and issued by the University of London won't meet the requirement?

The European marriage certificate is in Portuguese and all/most EU official languages including English. The language is not a concern on that one, but I'm wondering that if it'll be accepted as proof of marriage given that it was issued in Portugal and not here

And I do have settled status. Been around for nearly 7 years

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 am

So am I right to assume then the completion of a graduate certificate at Birkbeck, which was completed in London and therefore in English, and issued by the University of London won't meet the requirement?
As stated by @CR001 - it won't.
The European marriage certificate is in Portuguese and all/most EU official languages including English. The language is not a concern on that one, but I'm wondering that if it'll be accepted as proof of marriage given that it was issued in Portugal and not here
Yes acceptable - the requirement is to prove marriage, not to have been married in the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.