ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MKCG

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MKCG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:55 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm
Notice on DFA FBR page:

"Please note that we have stopped processing Foreign Birth Registrations. If you have already sent an application for Foreign Birth Registration, your application is safe and will be processed once we resume services.

Passport Service staff have been redeployed to assist public service delivery during this public health emergency.

Our phones lines are also closed during this time."

So to paraphrase

If you have received a confirmation email from dfa-ie that your docs have arrived, then don’t worry. They have them and will process when things calm down.
And if you haven’t posted them as yet, don’t bother until things clear

Does That about sum it up?

Mines was received 25/3/20, just in time.
I’m expecting a year wait now if I’m honest

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:16 pm

MKCG wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:55 pm
fvigaud wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm
Notice on DFA FBR page:

"Please note that we have stopped processing Foreign Birth Registrations. If you have already sent an application for Foreign Birth Registration, your application is safe and will be processed once we resume services.

Passport Service staff have been redeployed to assist public service delivery during this public health emergency.

Our phones lines are also closed during this time."

So to paraphrase

If you have received a confirmation email from dfa-ie that your docs have arrived, then don’t worry. They have them and will process when things calm down.
And if you haven’t posted them as yet, don’t bother until things clear

Does That about sum it up?

Mines was received 25/3/20, just in time.
I’m expecting a year wait now if I’m honest

Expecting A 2 year wait
I meant to Say

Adminme
Newly Registered

Post by Adminme » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Greetings. I am a Brit, born and raised in England applying to register my foreign birth in Ireland (due to having had an Irish born maternal Grandmother) prior to applying for an Irish passport (mainly due to Brexit).
My question is: Can I send my completed printed and signed application and accompanying documents directly to Dublin (which I understand is where they will end up anyway), rather than to my nearest Irish Embassy (in London), so as to avoid delay in getting my application processed?
If so, what is the full address (relevant department etc.) I should post my paperwork too?
Thanks in anticipation for any help you can give.

Kmui
Newly Registered

Post by Kmui » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Adminme wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:02 pm
Greetings. I am a Brit, born and raised in England applying to register my foreign birth in Ireland (due to having had an Irish born maternal Grandmother) prior to applying for an Irish passport (mainly due to Brexit).
My question is: Can I send my completed printed and signed application and accompanying documents directly to Dublin (which I understand is where they will end up anyway), rather than to my nearest Irish Embassy (in London), so as to avoid delay in getting my application processed?
If so, what is the full address (relevant department etc.) I should post my paperwork too?
Thanks in anticipation for any help you can give.
There should be an address on your application form to send this to. It's a PO box in balbriggan. If you are in the uk it has to be sent directly to Dublin not taken to an embassy. Hope this helps.

Adminme
Newly Registered

Post by Adminme » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Yes, that helps. Thank you very much Kmui.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:30 am

Hope all are well.

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 am

Hello,

I am just looking for some clarifications on one major thing, I am currently a Canadian Citizen (My father was also born in Canada) but my grandfather was born in Northern Ireland in 1927 - Do I qualify for Irish Citizenship? From everything I'm reading I believe I do - is this correct?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 am

circlethewagons12 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 am
Hello,

I am just looking for some clarifications on one major thing, I am currently a Canadian Citizen (My father was also born in Canada) but my grandfather was born in Northern Ireland in 1927 - Do I qualify for Irish Citizenship? From everything I'm reading I believe I do - is this correct?
Yes you qualify. Births in NI are not treated any differently to those elsewhere in Ireland.

The only problem could be if either your grandfather or parent made a declaration of alienage prior to the birth of the next person in the chain of descent. I very much doubt this will be the case, as so far on this board, we have never heard of anyone doing that.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:26 pm

circlethewagons12 wrote:
Hello,

Hey!

Canadian here. My grandfather was also born in NI. I've been able to successfully get my Irish citizenship and passport without any prejudice or issues in that regards.

Good luck!

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:06 am

kmosfet wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:26 pm
circlethewagons12 wrote:
Hello,

Hey!

Canadian here. My grandfather was also born in NI. I've been able to successfully get my Irish citizenship and passport without any prejudice or issues in that regards.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response, I was under the belief this was the case but just wanted to double check I have been doing some reading since we can't leave the house and it just made me second guess myself - I actually sent in my application in August 2019 but I imagine it will be awhile before I hear anything

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 am

Sulla wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 am
circlethewagons12 wrote:
Hello,

Yes you qualify. Births in NI are not treated any differently to those elsewhere in Ireland.

The only problem could be if either your grandfather or parent made a declaration of alienage prior to the birth of the next person in the chain of descent. I very much doubt this will be the case, as so far on this board, we have never heard of anyone doing that.
Appreciate the response, I don't believe that is the case of my grandfather making a declaration of alienage so I should be all right, I actually sent in my application I August 2019 so I'm just waiting back to hear but after reading a few things was just getting a bit confused and second guessing myself

moredoor
Newly Registered

Post by moredoor » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi,

Hoping somebody can clear up a question for me.

I'm seeking FBR through my Grandmother on my mothers side.

Now I have all the relevant documents pertaining to myself and parents but am struggling with my Grandmother.

My Grandmother was a Widow when she married my Grandfather. On their Marriage certificate it states her name from her previous Marriage. If she was divorced I'm supposed to provide a divorce decree but as she was widowed does anybody know a relevant document I need to provide? If any?

I have marriage certificates from both of her marriages. Birth and Death Certificate.

Thanks!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:12 pm

moredoor wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Hi,

Hoping somebody can clear up a question for me.

I'm seeking FBR through my Grandmother on my mothers side.

Now I have all the relevant documents pertaining to myself and parents but am struggling with my Grandmother.

My Grandmother was a Widow when she married my Grandfather. On their Marriage certificate it states her name from her previous Marriage. If she was divorced I'm supposed to provide a divorce decree but as she was widowed does anybody know a relevant document I need to provide? If any?

I have marriage certificates from both of her marriages. Birth and Death Certificate.

Thanks!
I'd say as long as you have documents showing how her name changed(i.e. -marriage certs) you are fine.
Does her 2nd marriage certificate say "widow" by any chance.That would be good. You could also try to find the death certificate of her first husband. Even just an index would be good with his same name and year of death before 2nd marriage.You can also include a letter explaining that she was widowed not divorced. It's the kind of thing you could just submit the basic documents and see if they ask for anything more.Just my thoughts.

jgclancy

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:21 pm

My FBR application was delivered on March 4th, 2020 according to USPS. I have not received an email confirming its receipt yet.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 pm

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:21 pm
My FBR application was delivered on March 4th, 2020 according to USPS. I have not received an email confirming its receipt yet.
Right now they're just piling them up I'm sure. I was into my 10 month of waiting expecting another 2-3 months until completion.Now, I have no expectations of getting it done this year. Maybe later this year but
who knows. Gonna be backlogged getting all the new ones alone acknowledged.
jgclancy

PD9
Newly Registered

Post by PD9 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:20 pm

My wife and I had the excellent news that she is pregnant in February, with the way the scans work out it won’t be till later this week until we receive formal letter of pregnancy / sex etc.

I am planning to use this letter to make case urgent as I’d love for our child to have the privilege of Irish citizenship also. As my application was received in Sept 19; pre COVID I was expecting this back Sept 20, however, it now seems a like this will run into 2021. All things being well (hopefully) in July / August, is it possible for this to be turned around in 1 month if it’s escalated? Does anyone know the process for pregnancy cases?

Thanks and hope everyone is safe and well.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:08 am

PD9 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:20 pm
My wife and I had the excellent news that she is pregnant in February, with the way the scans work out it won’t be till later this week until we receive formal letter of pregnancy / sex etc.

I am planning to use this letter to make case urgent as I’d love for our child to have the privilege of Irish citizenship also. As my application was received in Sept 19; pre COVID I was expecting this back Sept 20, however, it now seems a like this will run into 2021. All things being well (hopefully) in July / August, is it possible for this to be turned around in 1 month if it’s escalated? Does anyone know the process for pregnancy cases?

I'm sorry but I don't have a great answer for this. Obviously, the optimal solution in cases of pregnancy would be to request expedition at the time of application and to clearly mark the need for this on your application documents.

However, as this happy event has transpired during the application process (approximately midway) all i can suggest is contacting the FBR department via phone or email once they reopen. I am pretty sure that they will be able to locate and pull your ongoing application for expedition based on the pregnancy. Of course, preparing the documents attesting to the pregnancy and parentage prior to this will be necessary. You will probably have to mail these documents to the FBR section and once they receive them, then they will move your application forward more rapidly. I know that they are closed at present, but I cannot imagine that this situation will endure for more than another 2-3 weeks. Since I am in China and have been through a lockdown and come out of it, I can tell you that government officials were one of the first groups to return to work. I can only hope that the FBR section is back up and running soon.

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:32 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:08 am
PD9 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:20 pm

I'm sorry but I don't have a great answer for this. Obviously, the optimal solution in cases of pregnancy would be to request expedition at the time of application and to clearly mark the need for this on your application documents.

However, as this happy event has transpired during the application process (approximately midway) all i can suggest is contacting the FBR department via phone or email once they reopen. I am pretty sure that they will be able to locate and pull your ongoing application for expedition based on the pregnancy. Of course, preparing the documents attesting to the pregnancy and parentage prior to this will be necessary. You will probably have to mail these documents to the FBR section and once they receive them, then they will move your application forward more rapidly. I know that they are closed at present, but I cannot imagine that this situation will endure for more than another 2-3 weeks. Since I am in China and have been through a lockdown and come out of it, I can tell you that government officials were one of the first groups to return to work. I can only hope that the FBR section is back up and running soon.
I appreciate the optimism although I'm not sure if it's an issue of them returning to work-on the website it says the staff have been redeployed to other departments dealing with the COVID outbreak. I can only imagine this will still be the case whilst the lockdown is slowly eased, could be wrong though.

PD9
Newly Registered

Post by PD9 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am

This maybe helpful in the return to work. Comms from the Irish Government for a phased return:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taois ... =/roadmap/

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:55 am

PD9 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
This maybe helpful in the return to work. Comms from the Irish Government for a phased return:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taois ... =/roadmap/
I wonder what phase the passport office is considered my guess is either Phase 2 or Phase 5 - So the wait still could be long before the offices re-open

GerryFitzpatrick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by GerryFitzpatrick » Sat May 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi. can anyone please advise. I have tried to register online a FBR as my grandfather was born in Ireland. My understanding is that my father automatically is considered as an Irish citizen although born in Scotland. My query is this: when I try to complete the online form the Grandparent tab is greyed out when I hit the button for a Foreign Registrations Birth and yet I am applying on the grounds that my Grandfather (deceased) was born in Ireland and his parents were Irish also. So I understand that my father would, ipso facto, be an Irish citizen even though not born in Ireland and therefore my application needs to based on it being a Foreign Births Registration application based on the fact that it's an application based on my grandfather being Irish. How can I do this if that tab is greyed out. It isn't greyed out if I tick button for Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland but as my father was born in Scotland this is not applicable. It also isn't greyed out on the button Born abroad and adopted by an Irish citizen again not applicable
but it is greyed out for what I believe the correct condition for applying ie Irish Grandfather.

Please can anyone advise me?

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ShellySA » Sat May 09, 2020 3:37 pm

When you select how your parent received their citizenship (first page of form), you should select "born abroad to a parent born in Ireland". I think you have accidentally selected foreign birth registration in that selection.
Good luck!

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Sat May 09, 2020 11:27 pm

GerryFitzpatrick wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:17 pm
Hi. can anyone please advise. I have tried to register online a FBR as my grandfather was born in Ireland. My understanding is that my father automatically is considered as an Irish citizen although born in Scotland. My query is this: when I try to complete the online form the Grandparent tab is greyed out when I hit the button for a Foreign Registrations Birth and yet I am applying on the grounds that my Grandfather (deceased) was born in Ireland and his parents were Irish also. So I understand that my father would, ipso facto, be an Irish citizen even though not born in Ireland and therefore my application needs to based on it being a Foreign Births Registration application based on the fact that it's an application based on my grandfather being Irish. How can I do this if that tab is greyed out. It isn't greyed out if I tick button for Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland but as my father was born in Scotland this is not applicable. It also isn't greyed out on the button Born abroad and adopted by an Irish citizen again not applicable
but it is greyed out for what I believe the correct condition for applying ie Irish Grandfather.

Please can anyone advise me?
As Shelley says
This Is answered As to how ur parent is eligible.
I’m pretty sure it talks about this particular nuance on The page itself

Blacksheep_jo
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Blacksheep_jo » Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm

I received an email stating my application for the FBR had been received on 4th February 2019 and I am still waiting to hear if my application is successful.

I phoned them in February as it had been 12 months since my application had been received and they informed me that everything was going ok and if they required further information they would be in touch.

I'm still waiting (less patiently now) and wondered if anybody was still awaiting their successful entry from February 2019.

GerryFitzpatrick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by GerryFitzpatrick » Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi Shelley. Many thanks for the reply and to any other replies from others. My mistake. I must have read it several times and now that you pointed it out the instructions are eminently clear that I wonder how it was possible not to see my error!