ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK First Time Passport Application after Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kankerot

UK First Time Passport Application after Naturalisation

Post by kankerot » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:17 pm

I just called the Passport service and was advised that unless there was an urgent requirement my partner could not apply for a first UK passport after naturalisation as all the offices were closed for interviews.

She became a naturalised UK citizen just over 3 years ago. But we had no need for a UK passport. Her US passport is running out so we thought we may as well get the UK passport now.

So just to confirm you cannot currently apply for a first Adult passport after naturalisation via the post office or online.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: UK First Time Passport Application after Naturalisation

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:37 pm

The web page here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Says:

It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus.

Do not apply unless you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons, for example if a family member has died, or for government business.

It seems they don't want new applications.
Her US passport is running out
As a British citizen, she can live in the UK without a valid passport. She can use her driving license as ID until things go back to normal again.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 pm

It seems most of them are working from home at the moment. They have been asked to come in (to the offices), but there is some resistance to that. So I would not be surprised if they have focused on reducing non-essential applications.

BBC News: Coronavirus: Passport Office staff told to go back to work (9th April 2020)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kankerot

Post by kankerot » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:04 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:37 pm
The web page here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Says:

It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus.

Do not apply unless you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons, for example if a family member has died, or for government business.

It seems they don't want new applications.
Her US passport is running out
As a British citizen, she can live in the UK without a valid passport. She can use her driving license as ID until things go back to normal again.
But don't you need a UK Passport to confirm your right to work? My wife isn't expecting to work anytime soon but everytime I have applied for a job I have been asked for my passport.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:28 am

There is a variety of documents which are acceptable:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... yers-guide
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 am

But don't you need a UK Passport to confirm your right to work? My wife isn't expecting to work anytime soon but everytime I have applied for a job I have been asked for my passport.
Because they assume she is foreign. Passport is not compulsory for British citizens. There are other ways to prove right to work as stated above.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:44 pm

PO would not admit that they stopped "regular" passports processing altogether, but it seems they did. See for example:
https://www.civilserviceworld.com/artic ... ter-outcry
My passport application is at Liverpool PO from 11/03, and I actually might need my non-UK passport soon (not for travel)
When called/twitted to ask if I can at least get back my "overseas passports", they recommended writing to the PO where my documents are, explain the reasons I need them, and supply self-addressed return envelope.