ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost BRC rejected application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Chaa
Newly Registered
South Africa

Lost BRC rejected application

Post by Chaa » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am

I have checked throughout and cannot find any responses which are specific to my situation.

My purse was stolen at Sainsburys in the trolley. My BRC card was in it. I reported it both to the police and immigration. I reapplied in Feb 2020 online. Paid the fee and paid £110 to go for biometrics. Application was submitted,along with biometrics at the centre. Less than 8 weeks i received an email stating that I hadn't applied properly. They returned my application fee and documents. Now I am trying to apply for settled status but I can't without my BRC. How can I go about it?
I wanted the BRC so my husband and I could still travel, then in December i would apply for settled status.
Please advise on how I can either apply to replace BRC or settled status without the BRC.
Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Lost BRC rejected application

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:53 am

Hello

I always recommend to never use a BRC or BRP as an ID and carry it in a wallet. If lost, the process of getting a replacement is through a new application with all the risks that it involves.

Use a driving license. Even if you don't drive and have no project to do so in the future, get a DVLA provisional license. It's accepted as ID everywhere and if lost, it's easy to get a replacement.

What did you apply for and what was the exact wording of the refusal?

Chaa
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Chaa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 am

Hi

I applied for a replacement EEA residence card, the one for family members. They rejected my application stating that I used a BRP application and not BRC. Anyway I've just rang them and they told me to use the EEA FM form. This is doing the application from scratch! This will take another 6 months off our lives whilst waiting.

I have decided to apply for the pre-settled status but when I use the app to upload my documents, it's asking for BRP or BRC, no option for passport. I have a front pic of my BRC, but not the back bit with a code. The advisor from immigration told me he can't help me with this as he doesn't know and I would need to email the settled status team through the government website. Government website states passport is accepted proof of ID but the app is not providing this option.

It's all very complicated at the moment.

Chaa
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Chaa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 am

Hi Zerubbabel

To add on to my response below, my husband has permanent residency which means less work in terms of providing supporting documentation?

I would submit proof of address, residence permit, marriage certificate and photos of us together. Any more documents that I may need?

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:53 am

You'll need to submit biometrics, and given this service is closed for now, it can easily take way longer than 6 months. There is no option for you to apply for settlement scheme until lockdown is lifted.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm

TerryGH wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:53 am
You'll need to submit biometrics, and given this service is closed for now, it can easily take way longer than 6 months. There is no option for you to apply for settlement scheme until lockdown is lifted.
I agree. There seem to be a problem with both routes: EEA card application is a physical one and they don’t seem to be accepting any papers sent by mail now. Plus biometrics isn’t possible now. EUSS can’t be done without either passport/biometrics or residency card.

I’m afraid the only option is to wait till bio centers are reopened. You can apply online (not from phone) with your passport for EUSS now, but I assume bio appointment will be not earlier than May/June (if possible at all now). Personally, I wouldn’t wait with the application as there’s going to be a backlog after the lockdown.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Chaa wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 am
Hi Zerubbabel

To add on to my response below, my husband has permanent residency which means less work in terms of providing supporting documentation?

I would submit proof of address, residence permit, marriage certificate and photos of us together. Any more documents that I may need?
Does your husband have EUSS status? These seem to be two parallel schemes: permanent residency refers to EEA law and EUSS is UK law. You’ll be asked to give his reference number within your application. If he doesn’t have it, it’s advisable for him to receive it first.

Chaa
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Chaa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:40 pm

iwolga wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm
Chaa wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 am
Hi Zerubbabel

Does your husband have EU Settlement Scheme status? These seem to be two parallel schemes: permanent residency refers to EEA law and EU Settlement Scheme is UK law. You’ll be asked to give his reference number within your application. If he doesn’t have it, it’s advisable for him to receive it first.
That's what I was concerned about. No, he doesn't have it yet. So I need to apply for him first and then do my application after, quoting his reference. Yes will do that ASAP.

Thanks for everyone's advice. It is truly invaluable.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:28 am

Yes please apply under the EU Settlement Scheme but this won't get you a new card. You still need to pursue them to replace your lost card.