ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Universal Credit claim confusion

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

leon2019

Universal Credit claim confusion

Post by leon2019 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi to all members and and sorry if I start this new topic. I have been in touch with citizen advice burea today and also with one immigration solicitor today regarding UC claim. I also spoke to Jobcentre / DWP team member yesterday about it. I have read government guideline on it as well. All of them use the word 'might affect' / 'could affect' spouse extension or ILR application; which means there are grey areas. Nothing is black and white.

The actual authentic information from Gov.uk guideline on UC says that a British citizen can claim all benefits however, UC is claimed in joint names with partner and whatever amount of money is claimed, is also calculated based on non-british partner's financial details. On that basis, the HO 'might' refuse their application.

Again, it's everyone personal decision to go ahead with. As far as covid-19 is concerned, I think the HO will relax their rules, however, there is no mention about it anywhere. This is just our own positive thinking.

If a British citizen can claim UC on their own in single name, then there is no affect on partner immigration applications whatsoever. However, UC is impossible to claim in single name if you are married and living togehter. therefore, chances are that you might get caught by HO caseworker who will either refuse, put you on 10 years route or simple give you appeal rights... hope it helps... I am going to wait until my wife gets ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Universal Credit claim confusion

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 pm

You submit with both names or a joint claim. You will only get the single person (YOURS) element!! You really are overthinking this completely!!!

Can I also ask you to please read the forum rules, which you are persiatently ignoring!!!

Multiple topics rule link below.

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html

See your exiting topic from 28 march link below.

claiming-benefits/ilr-in-2022-and-benef ... l#p1891181

Top 25 FAQs of the forum rules, see point 12 specifically!!!

announcements/read-me-getting-started-t ... 24804.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.