ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Previous UK immigration applications - what qualifies

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Applying when number of dependents might change

Post by ChetBaker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 pm

I might have an unusual situation regarding my application. I hope somebody could shed some light on it.

In short: I'm about to submit my naturalization application online. Just need to pay. However, in 1-2 months I will become a dad for the very first time (yay!). In my application I didn't put any dependents as it states 'at this time'.

Normally, I would just apply, but because of COVID-19, it might get more complicated. After I hit 'pay' I'll have to make an appointment with UKVCAS to complete my application. Since it can't be done now, I'll be in a limbo where I can't edit my answers anymore, but can't send the documents too. And before it's resolved I'll be a dad. The number of dependents = 1.

I don't want this to be an issue on the application, but I also don't want to wait 2 months since the waiting time is already long. Is the application considered to be submitted before the successful appointment with UKVCAS?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying when number of dependents might change

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 pm

The application date is the day you submit/pay online - the appointment is for biometrics only and I understand that until then you may still edit the application. However, declaring a dependent is not part of the requirements you have to fulfil for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ChetBaker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:55 pm

I guess I want to be sure that everything is OK in the application, and that it won't be rejected because of something like that.

Also, on the 'pay' stage, my application says: "You should only move to the next page if you have checked your answers and you are ready to submit your application. Once you select ‘Continue to Worldpay’ you will not be able to return and edit your application."

So it seems that's the point when I can't edit anything anymore.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 pm

At the date of application (submit & pay) your statement would be correct, i.e. nil dependents. And having a child after that is not a material change for the purposes of your application, which is individual to you.
If you are still not comfortable with this particular aspect you could write an explanatory note and upload that with your other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ChetBaker » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Thank you, I might attach a note.

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Knowledge of English - confusing question

Post by ChetBaker » Sat May 02, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm going through the naturalization form again, and I find this questions very confusing:

"Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? (yes/no)"

I'm a EEA citizen, and I have ILR obtained last year via the settled scheme. But I can't answer 'yes' because there was no knowledge of English requirement in that application. So I put 'no'. But I'm feeling like I'm saying 'no' to one of the key requirements of the application. Yet putting 'yes' wouldn't be exactly true.

Just to make it clear, I answered "yes" to "Have you passed an approved English language" and "no" to "Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English? "

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Knowledge of English - confusing question

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? (yes/no)"
You answer no to the question. The question is relevant only to those who got ilr through the visa held under the UK immigration rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Re: Knowledge of English - confusing question

Post by ChetBaker » Sat May 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you, "no" seemed right to me too. Thank you for your reassurance.

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Previous UK immigration applications - what qualifies

Post by ChetBaker » Sat May 02, 2020 5:24 pm

What qualifies as a "immigration application" within the "Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad" question?

I'm assuming that ILR does, even if granted via the settled scheme. Is that correct? I'm in doubt, because they ask about the ILR later on anyway.

Also, would WRS be treated as immigration application? I'm assuming that no, since it was about the right to work, not right to live in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Previous UK immigration applications - what qualifies

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 pm

All topics merged. Please keep all your questions in one thread please.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 pm

ChetBaker wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:24 pm
What qualifies as a "immigration application" within the "Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad" question?

I'm assuming that ILR does, even if granted via the settled scheme. Is that correct? I'm in doubt, because they ask about the ILR later on anyway.

Also, would WRS be treated as immigration application? I'm assuming that no, since it was about the right to work, not right to live in the UK.
All immigration or residence applications you have made to ukvi.

Not wrs.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ChetBaker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:03 am

Sorry, have another question. I've already applied for the naturalisation and I'll have my UKVCAS appointment in a few days. My wife wants to apply for UK citizenship too. She's eligible, but if she applies now she will state that I'm not a UK citizen. However, I could be one by the time she gets the UKVCAS appointment and her application reaches Home Office.

Should she wait for the outcome of my application (but might take months...), or add a note to the application explaining that I wasn't a citizen yet when her application was submitted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:57 am

ChetBaker wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:03 am
Sorry, have another question. I've already applied for the naturalisation and I'll have my UKVCAS appointment in a few days. My wife wants to apply for UK citizenship too. She's eligible, but if she applies now she will state that I'm not a UK citizen. However, I could be one by the time she gets the UKVCAS appointment and her application reaches Home Office.

Should she wait for the outcome of my application (but might take months...), or add a note to the application explaining that I wasn't a citizen yet when her application was submitted?
If she has held ilr/settled status for 12 months, she applies in her own right and must meet all the requirements individually. There is no "dependent" concept for citizenship. Your status is therefore irrelevant.

Highly unlikely you will already be British by the time her biomterics appointment is scheduled. You are only British once you have attended your ceremony, which are currently still suspended and delayed. Citizenship applications can take many months.

If she doesn't have 12 months in ILR, she doesn't qualify to apply yet.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ChetBaker
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ChetBaker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 pm

That's great, thank you very much for your answer.

It seems I still have one more doubt. I have the referee form with a signed date before my application was sent. It was signed in March while I've sent the application in May. Will it matter? I made sure that the referee form is the same as you can download it from the website before submitting the application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:44 pm

ChetBaker wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 pm
I have the referee form with a signed date before my application was sent. It was signed in March while I've sent the application in May. Will it matter?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)