ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing name two times before my application for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

londoncitizen22
Newly Registered

Changing name two times before my application for Citizenship

Post by londoncitizen22 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has been in the same position as me.

So I have changed my name once and I will have to change it again. I would be able to align it on my passport. However I am planning to apply for British citizenship and I am scared there is going to be a problem regarding proving the residency period (because I would have lived in three names in the UK, name A, B and C).

Has anyone been in the same situation?

Would the Home Office recognise the fact I lived under 3 names? I have evidence of deed poll from name A to B and a name change document from my country of birth. I also have birth certificates issued at birth (in name A) and the recent birth certificate (in name B). Do you think this would be enough? If I do go through with the change of name again, I would of course provide deed poll and name change documents from name B to C.

I contacted the Home Office over the phone however their advice was not very detailed. I sent them an email so hopefully they will reply.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Changing name two times before my application for Citizenship

Post by zimba » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:55 pm

This has no effect on your application. For British passport, HMPO will only issue passport if your name matches your current passport
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:23 am

Zimba wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:55 pm
This has no effect on your application. For British passport, HMPO will only issue passport if your name matches your current passport
While a name change does not necessarily have an impact on the application. I think a fundamental question is why does the OP keep changing names? Again this is not an issue as long as the OP can show the required documents to explain. And I also don't think you can be issued a second birth certificate just to match a name change. So that doesn't sound right to me. Birth certificates should have the names given at birth, even when reissued. Any future name changes should be backed up with other documents. Except if this is different in other countries.
I might be wrong, but I think having two birth certificates with different names raises more questions than answer.

From the OP's profile flag, the OP is an EU citizen, I guess. Has the OP made any previous application to the UKVI and if yes, in what name? What is the name on the current EU passport? is this name A, B or the new name?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

londoncitizen22
Newly Registered

Post by londoncitizen22 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:23 am
Zimba wrote:
While a name change does not necessarily have an impact on the application. I think a fundamental question is why does the OP keep changing names? Again this is not an issue as long as the OP can show the required documents to explain. And I also don't think you can be issued a second birth certificate just to match a name change. So that doesn't sound right to me. Birth certificates should have the names given at birth, even when reissued. Any future name changes should be backed up with other documents. Except if this is different in other countries.
I might be wrong, but I think having two birth certificates with different names raises more questions than answer.

From the OP's profile flag, the OP is an EU citizen, I guess. Has the OP made any previous application to the UKVI and if yes, in what name? What is the name on the current EU passport? is this name A, B or the new name?
Thank you for your reply.

I changed my forenames from A to B to shorten my name as it was difficult to pronounce in English (they are not very different though but I got rid of my middle name). I now will have to change my name due to family reasons.

The Home Office knows about my situation but I am still waiting for their reply regarding what they think the best course of action is.

I don’t know about the UK but in my country it works like this:
1. You apply for a name change (due to important reasons such as embarrassing name, marriage, family reasons or using different name in real life) to the officials
2. They send you a reply whether the decision is positive or negative. They send this decision to the registrar (I mean the place that issued your birth certificate, not sure how it is called in English)
3. The registrar issues you a new abridged version of birth certificate.
4. Only with the new birth certificate you can apply for a new passport.

So they issue the birth certificate with the new name so you can apply for a new passport. Only with the birth certificate you can apply for a passport with the new name.

So with the change from name A to B I’ve passed the step 3. I have never applied for the passport because I work outside of London and now coronavirus. However I’m not sure if there is a point in applying (and paying) for a new passport if I will have to change the name from B to C. That’s why I’m asking the Home Office.

The name on the current passport is A (this is the name I got my EU settlement in). The Home Office know about the name change from A to B though. I also sent them a query about this

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:11 pm

londoncitizen22 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Djsuccess wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:23 am
Zimba wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I changed my forenames from A to B to shorten my name as it was difficult to pronounce in English (they are not very different though but I got rid of my middle name). I now will have to change my name due to family reasons.

The Home Office knows about my situation but I am still waiting for their reply regarding what they think the best course of action is.

I don’t know about the UK but in my country it works like this:
1. You apply for a name change (due to important reasons such as embarrassing name, marriage, family reasons or using different name in real life) to the officials
2. They send you a reply whether the decision is positive or negative. They send this decision to the registrar (I mean the place that issued your birth certificate, not sure how it is called in English)
3. The registrar issues you a new abridged version of birth certificate.
4. Only with the new birth certificate you can apply for a new passport.

So they issue the birth certificate with the new name so you can apply for a new passport. Only with the birth certificate you can apply for a passport with the new name.

So with the change from name A to B I’ve passed the step 3. I have never applied for the passport because I work outside of London and now coronavirus. However I’m not sure if there is a point in applying (and paying) for a new passport if I will have to change the name from B to C. That’s why I’m asking the Home Office.

The name on the current passport is A (this is the name I got my EU settlement in). The Home Office know about the name change from A to B though. I also sent them a query about this
Your explanation is clear now. You shouldn't have issues applying for citizenship. The issue is that the HMPO will only issue you a British passport with same name as on your current EU passport
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.