ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COVID 19 - British Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

matt1020
Mood:

COVID 19 - British Passport application

Post by matt1020 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:58 am

My spouse applied for her first British passport following naturalisation over 6 weeks ago. A paper form was used and the application was sent via the Post Office check-and-send service. The form states that the processing times for a first-time passport application is up to 6 weeks. She contacted the Passport Office shortly after making her application and they confirmed they had received it.

Does anyone have any up-to-date official information on how long the process is now taking in the light of COVID 19?

Many thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: COVID 19 - British Passport application

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 am

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
Passport applications and coronavirus (COVID-19)
It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus.

Do not apply unless you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons, for example if a family member has died, or for government business.

Phone the Passport Adviceline to find out what to do.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:43 am

Passport office staff are being deployed to other government departments to help with backlogs there. I would guess that naturalisation and passport processing will likely be at the bottom of the processing queue.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

matt1020
Mood:

Post by matt1020 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am

Thanks for the feedback - it doesn't sound very encouraging! :roll:

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 am

matt1020 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am
Thanks for the feedback - it doesn't sound very encouraging! :roll:
The HMPO staff are human beings whose health and well being come should be put above any passport. So yes, the updates might not be encouraging, Covid-19 is affecting everyone one way or another. we all have to be patient.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Doublestarxx
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Doublestarxx » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 am

I applied on 19/03/20. Received a call from HMPO yesterday apologising for delay in processing because of the COVID-19 and working with skeleton staff. She told me my application was approved yesterday and she will be sending out my original documents within 2 days but advised me to give some time for the passport to be printed due to skeleton staff operation but that I should receive my new British passport by beginning or end of next week. After the call, my application tracker was updated immediately to APPROVED.
So do bear with them, they are processing but slower than there average processing time before the pandemic. Mine was a first time adult application after naturalisation as well.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:57 pm

May I ask - which PO handled your application?

Doublestarxx
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Doublestarxx » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am

HMPO Newport.