ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU settlement scheme: cover letter, sponsor in prison

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

IndianSummer123
Newly Registered

EU settlement scheme: cover letter, sponsor in prison

Post by IndianSummer123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of applying for the EU settlement scheme. It's quite straightforward, however, hoping those of you who've done it could help me with a couple of things:

1) is it acceptable to attach a cover letter as one of the documents? My case is a bit complicated (sponsor is in prison and we are separated), so wanted to give some background to my situation to the caseworker
2) with sponsor being in prison- what are the chances of getting settled status for me? I'm residing in the UK for over 5 years, and my sponsor had been also resident for over 5 years before the imprisonment.

Many thanks in advance.

Obie
Ireland

Re: EU settlement scheme: cover letter, sponsor in prison

Post by Obie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm

At the time of his incarceration, had you been residing in the UK as a married couple for 5 years at that period.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello

Anything they don't ask you about, is not relevant for application.

There is no box asking "is your sponsor in prison? YES - NO". So no need to tell them about this.

I am more concerned about the separation. What kind of relationship is it? Are you married or some family member?

IndianSummer123
Newly Registered

Post by IndianSummer123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Obie wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm
At the time of his incarceration, had you been residing in the UK as a married couple for 5 years at that period.
Hi, thanks for your replies !

We separated after residing together in the UK for 2.5 years as married. He got sentenced about 6 months after the separation..but he completed his 5 years of residence before that. So basically, our 5 year residence periods do not coincide , if that makes sense

As for the fact of imprisonment - I had to give his address on the application, which is a HMP address.. don't think it's appropriate to be dishonest here?

ChugaLuvMe
Malta

Post by ChugaLuvMe » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:45 am

IndianSummer123 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Obie wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm
Hi, thanks for your replies !

We separated after residing together in the UK for 2.5 years as married. He got sentenced about 6 months after the separation..but he completed his 5 years of residence before that. So basically, our 5 year residence periods do not coincide , if that makes sense

As for the fact of imprisonment - I had to give his address on the application, which is a HMP address.. don't think it's appropriate to be dishonest here?
Are you relying on his residence to get your own settled status? If not, it doesn't matter what's going on with him.

IndianSummer123
Newly Registered

Post by IndianSummer123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 pm

I am relying on our relationship in my application

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Are you still married?

You can give his address at HMP but no need for a letter.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm

You will not qualify for Settled Status if you have been married for less than 5 years.

Prison sentence breaks residence for the purposes of Settled status.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IndianSummer123
Newly Registered

Post by IndianSummer123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:51 pm
Are you still married?

You can give his address at HMP but no need for a letter.
Yes, we're still married and no divorce proceedings in place
Overall we're married for over 5 years, and were married for the whole time I am relying on for my application.

But his imprisonment started during this time too, and separation - just before then.
Sorry , i know my case is quite confusing, which is why thought about a cover letter to accompany my documents.

But if the case worker is not clear about anything - will they get in touch? Perhaps you're right that no need to do a letter then

soul101
Newly Registered

Post by soul101 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 am

use the app is you have a BRC ,
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE ,
and l got settle status without my husband valid id

then call home office after 2 weeks , and explain your husband is in prison , and you don't have his valid id , cause it has expired , they will ask you to upload your marriage certificate , if you still married , it faster if you still married , cos you get settle status , send an email on your application profile page online a week later explaining your situation , about your husband ,
this was what l happen to do , and l got my settle status ,
my application took 5-6weeks , applied feb and got result in march to GOD BE THE GLORY

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 am

Obie wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 pm
You will not qualify for Settled Status if you have been married for less than 5 years.

Prison sentence breaks residence for the purposes of Settled status.]
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

IndianSummer123
Newly Registered

Post by IndianSummer123 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:52 pm

soul101 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 am
use the app is you have a BRC ,
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE ,
and l got settle status without my husband valid id

then call home office after 2 weeks , and explain your husband is in prison , and you don't have his valid id , cause it has expired , they will ask you to upload your marriage certificate , if you still married , it faster if you still married , cos you get settle status , send an email on your application profile page online a week later explaining your situation , about your husband ,
this was what l happen to do , and l got my settle status ,
my application took 5-6weeks , applied feb and got result in march to GOD BE THE GLORY
Hi, thanks for your reply ! Genuinely delighted you got your settled status.
Have you completed 5 years of residence before the imprisonment ?