ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension English requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maggi

Spouse visa extension English requirement

Post by maggi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:38 pm

I will be applying for extension of spouse visa of a British Citizen after 2.5 years. In order to prove English language requirements, I'm opting for the route of Academic qualifications (NARIC) route.

From the https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english it says:
You can prove your knowledge of English if both:
-you have a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English
-your qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher

I have a few questions:
1) what evidence do I provide for point 1 above to prove my academic qualification was taught or researched in English? Should a letter from University letter head stating this be OK?

2) in second line it states "your qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher" and if you click the link takes to "statement of comparability". Is statement of comparability necessary her? as it contradicts with points further as below where we seem to have two choices to pick from:
it says:
When you apply, you’ll need to provide a certificate from UK NARIC. This may be either:
-a statement of comparability
-a visa and nationality statement
3) As I have understood, I have a choice to pick one of the two options for certificate from NARIC. It could be "statement of comparability" or "visa & nationality statement". The "statement of comparability" costs £59.40 while the "visa and nationality Statement" costs £168.00. Can I use any of the two for extension of spouse visa? Statement of comparability seems favorable choice with less costs.
4) However, looking forward, after completing 5 years when I'll apply for ILR, the requirement for English language at the time of ILR are AQUALS and ELPS from NARIC, which essentially seem same as "visa and nationality statement". Does NARIC certificate has any expiry date? and is it ok to spend more money now and get "visa and nationality statement" now and use same certificate during ILR application as well?

Thanks for your time and helping.
Regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa extension English requirement

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 am

The visa and nationality option is the comparable assessment statement AND the English assessment, which is what you need for visa purposes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

maggi

Post by maggi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Thanks @CR001 for your reply and I understand my question was long and confusing. My confusion is only because they have explicitly asked to provide either of the two statements (they could have asked for only one too).
- a statement of comparability
- a visa and nationality statement
While statement of comparability is less than half the price of visa & nationality statment, the instant preferable option is statement of comparability. Moreover, when "UK NARIC" is mentioned the link take you directly to "statment of comparability"
However, thinking long term (ILR), visa and nationality statement was needed anyway, therefore the question.
Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:51 am

UK NARIC is used for many purposes, not only visas applications.

If you are applying for a visa, you need to select the option for visas. Not the cheaper option because it suits you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:30 pm

maggi wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 pm
My confusion is only because they have explicitly asked to provide either of the two statements (they could have asked for only one too).
- a statement of comparability
- a visa and nationality statement
Your confusion is absolutely valid because it has been poorly mentioned there. But as per member experience they actually want to see both of these statements. Second statement is actually a NARIC confirmation that the degree was taught and obtained under English language although the same is also being confirmed in first statement (statement of comparability).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

maggi

Post by maggi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Thanks Seagul and CR001. You have been really helpful. From your feedback, I'll apply for the red route i.e. visa and nationality statement. And I believe this will include both Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) and The English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from Naric.

I know my next questions are a bit more specific but we may have members in this forum which faced these
questions already. Your guidance will be really helpful:

- How can I be sure if Naric would equate my degree to UK Bachelors. Is there any online calculator or list of universities available. I don't want to waste time+money if I end up getting a certificate from Naric which isn't the requirement. (I did 4 years BCS from Comsats, Islamabad, Pakistan)

- Also is there any way to find out if Naric will provide ELPS for my degree from Pakistan? Again, don't want to waste time+money if I end up getting something not desired e.g. Naric stating they cannot tell if it was English proficient.

Many thanks again!
Cheers.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 pm

maggi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm
Thanks Seagul and CR001. You have been really helpful. From your feedback, I'll apply for the red route i.e. visa and nationality statement. And I believe this will include both Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) and The English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from Naric.

I know my next questions are a bit more specific but we may have members in this forum which faced these

- How can I be sure if Naric would equate my degree to UK Bachelors. Is there any online calculator or list of universities available. I don't want to waste time+money if I end up getting a certificate from Naric which isn't the requirement. (I did 4 years BCS from Comsats, Islamabad, Pakistan)

- Also is there any way to find out if Naric will provide ELPS for my degree from Pakistan? Again, don't want to waste time+money if I end up getting something not desired e.g. Naric stating they cannot tell if it was English proficient.

Many thanks again!
Cheers.
Online qualifications comparability calculator has been removed from quite a long time ago especially since NARIC came to surface. Most often a 4 years of bachelor degree is equivalent to UK bachelor which unfortunately will only be confirmed after making the appropriate fee to NARIC. Also don't forget that sitting for test will cost you same while giving you more rapid result and if you will manage to pass B1 test then you might not have to pass any test till your settlmenent journey.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

kilodelta
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by kilodelta » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 pm

maggi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Many thanks again!
Cheers.
Hi,

I have just gone through this process earlier this week. Basically, for NARIC to confirm, in addition to your transcript, they need a statement from your College / University back home stating that the course you studied was taught in English. Hopefully that is something you are able to get hold off if you have any contact back home. I think they have a template of something which is required on their website.

Hope this helps.

maggi

Post by maggi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm

seagul wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 pm
Online qualifications comparability calculator has been removed from quite a long time ago especially since NARIC came to surface. Most often a 4 years of bachelor degree is equivalent to UK bachelor which unfortunately will only be confirmed after making the appropriate fee to NARIC. Also don't forget that sitting for test will cost you same while giving you more rapid result and if you will manage to pass B1 test then you might not have to pass any test till your settlmenent journey.
Completely agree and passing B1 would not have been a problem really.
However, in current situation with COVID, it appears NARIC route to be more easier option.
Thanks again! really helpful.

maggi

Post by maggi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 pm

kilodelta wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi,

I have just gone through this process earlier this week. Basically, for NARIC to confirm, in addition to your transcript, they need a statement from your College / University back home stating that the course you studied was taught in English. Hopefully that is something you are able to get hold off if you have any contact back home. I think they have a template of something which is required on their website.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Kilodelta. I already acquired this letter from university earlier this month via someone back home. Its official on letterhead and signed/dated. I think I should be ok for the red route. May I ask if you already received your NARIC statements? which country was the degree from?

kilodelta
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by kilodelta » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:55 pm

maggi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 pm
kilodelta wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Thanks Kilodelta. I already acquired this letter from university earlier this month via someone back home. Its official on letterhead and signed/dated. I think I should be ok for the red route. May I ask if you already received your NARIC statements? which country was the degree from?
I had mine from Tanzania. I received the statement this week, pretty quick process - I think it took about 6/7 days overall. Much easier than doing IELTS with all centres closed. They are only sending PDF copies via email as of now due to the situation, so you won't receive anything in the post.

maggi

Post by maggi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 pm

kilodelta wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:55 pm

I had mine from Tanzania. I received the statement this week, pretty quick process - I think it took about 6/7 days overall. Much easier than doing IELTS with all centres closed. They are only sending PDF copies via email as of now due to the situation, so you won't receive anything in the post.
Thanks again. Absolutely agree that in current situation its easier and quicker option and 6/7 days is a very quick response time. Does this also means that you don't need to post any originals either? apply online and receive the PDF copy via email. Does your PDF's include both AQUALS and ELPS?

kilodelta
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by kilodelta » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 pm

maggi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 pm
kilodelta wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Thanks again. Absolutely agree that in current situation its easier and quicker option and 6/7 days is a very quick response time. Does this also means that you don't need to post any originals either? apply online and receive the PDF copy via email. Does your PDF's include both AQUALS and ELPS?
The PDF includes a page on the qualification equivalent to UK and another page stating the English level.

maggi

Post by maggi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 pm

kilodelta wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 pm
The PDF includes a page on the qualification equivalent to UK and another page stating the English level.
Thanks again. Really helpful.

lad 14
Wales

Post by lad 14 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am

Have you not fulfilled these requirements when applied initially, Can't you use the same documents ? Or maybe HO should not ask for the documents as they already been provided with the initial application.
I'm just curious as i'll be applying flr m extension for my wife soon.
Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:18 pm

lad 14 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am
? Or maybe HO should not ask for the documents as they already been provided with the initial application.
Each application is being dealt on its own merits means you have to resupply all the supporting documents and re-enroll your biometrics despite they have already in their system.

maggi

Post by maggi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:58 pm

lad 14 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am
Have you not fulfilled these requirements when applied initially, Can't you use the same documents ? Or maybe HO should not ask for the documents as they already been provided with the initial application.
I'm just curious as i'll be applying flr m extension for my wife soon.
Thanks
Agree to what Seagul mentioned. You have to submit all supporting documents again. As this thread is for language requirements, they are different for each step for spouse visa. e.g currently CEFR level A1 is required for initial application, A2 for extension, and B1 for ILR. You may or may not have that in intial application and may need to provide the required document.

maggi

Post by maggi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Can someone please guide. Married to a British Citizen and going to apply for extension after 2.5 years. What application category do I fall into? FLR(M) or FLR(FP)? I tried to search online but that just adds confusion. Do I apply by navigating from https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse and click apply online under "In the UK" heading? is this the right place to start my application? Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:12 am

maggi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:19 pm
Can someone please guide. Married to a British Citizen and going to apply for extension after 2.5 years. What application category do I fall into? FLR(M) or FLR(FP)? I tried to search online but that just adds confusion. Do I apply by navigating from https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse and click apply online under "In the UK" heading? is this the right place to start my application? Thanks in advance.
FLR M.

FLR fp is if you don't meet the English and financial requirements and is a 20 year route to ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

maggi

Post by maggi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:12 am
FLR M.

FLR fp is if you don't meet the English and financial requirements and is a 20 year route to ilr.
Thanks CR001. But from .gov site I navigate through extension of spouse visa and click on start online application and the very next page I'm presented is "Application to remain in the UK on the basis of family life or private life" which seems FLR(FP) to me.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.03 KiB) Viewed 2062 times

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 am

It is not. The same link i used to apply for different circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

maggi

Post by maggi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks @CR001.

So, its a spouse visa extension under 5 year route.
While filling the application form, got this confusing question.

Question:
What type of visa, leave to enter or remain or other permission do you have to be in the UK?
You can find out this information on the document which shows you are allowed to be in the UK
  • Visit
  • Work
  • Study
  • Family
  • EEA residence permit or card
  • Settlement
  • Other

Searching online, I got conflicting answers mostly in favour to tick either Family or Settlement. Which is the correct option?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm

maggi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am
Thanks @CR001.

Question:
What type of visa, leave to enter or remain or other permission do you have to be in the UK?
You can find out this information on the document which shows you are allowed to be in the UK
  • Visit
  • Work
  • Study
  • Family
  • Settlement
  • Other

Searching online, I got conflicting answers mostly in favour to tick either Family or Settlement. Which is the correct option?
Settlement

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm

maggi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am
Thanks @CR001.

Question:
  • Visit
  • Work
  • Study
  • Family
  • Settlement
  • Other

The correct option is "Family"

This is backed up by "Family visas: apply, extend or switch" mentioned in the link below https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

A lot of people have ticked settlement & Family and have been approved.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:29 pm

An applicant being able to fulfill the FLRM requirement in the pursuit of another 2.5 years of extension under 5 years route should never choose "Family" which has several subdivided routes. Correct option is "settlement" because FLRM intrinsically comes under it and even while choosing the NARIC red route & ielts test the same option is selected.