ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nmpapa
Newly Registered

Citizenship

Post by nmpapa » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi ,

I came into UK in the year June 2011 on an ICT tier 2 latter at the time of 5 year expiry I applied for tier 1 entrepreneur visa and got them in the year Aug 2016 , again at the time of renewal after 3 years I applied for an ILR based on accelerated route and got them in Jan 2020.

My question—- As per the guidelines I cannot apply for citizenship after 3 years as I got my ILR under accelerated route and have to wait for an additional 2 years to complete 5 years to get citizenship but here I have come into the country in 2011 and had been continuously living till now based on that can’t I apply for citizenship in Jan 2021 as I have been here for more than 5 years under 2 categories of visa.

Look forward hearing on this .

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 am

If you received ILR in Jan 2020 you can apply for naturalisation after 12 months, in January 2021. Unless you are married to a British citizen in which case you could apply now. Your previous immigration history (pre-ILR) is not relevant for the timing of your naturalisation application..
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:27 pm

nmpapa wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 pm
As per the guidelines I cannot apply for citizenship after 3 years as I got my ILR under accelerated route
Where did you get that from?

The rules for naturalisation are unrelated to the rules for immigration.

To apply for naturalisation, you need to
a) have been in the UK exactly five years before the date of application.
b) be absent no more than 450 days in the five years and no m0ore than 90 days in the year before the date of application
c) have not been resident illegally in the UK at any time in the last ten years.
d) meet the the other (LITUK, English, good characer, etc) requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.