ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Covid 19: Issues switching from Tier 4 dependent visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aty
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Covid 19: Issues switching from Tier 4 dependent visa

Post by Aty » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:54 pm

Hello,
My sister is currently in the UK on a tier 4 dependent visa which expires by the end of May,however she is going through a divorce with her husband and is expected to report that to the home office and then switch visas.

She has admission to start a programme at a University in May but due to the current pandemic is considering deferring the admission to September.(hence she can't get her CAS to process her tier 4 visa till then).
What visa can she request for in the interim till she can start her course in September?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Covid 19: Issues switching from Tier 4 dependent visa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 am

She can't switch within the UK. She has to apply for tier 4 from her home country.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/ ... -this-visa

There is also no "bridging visa".
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Aty
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Aty » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Ok..thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:36 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 am
There is also no "bridging visa".
True, but in these strange times it's possible there may end up being such a thing, although it is purely theoretical right now.

There is currently a provision for free extensions to 31 May for people with visas expiring between 24 Jan and 31 May, but who cannot leave the UK as planned because of the pandemic. It seems likely that this provision itself might be extended until who-knows-what date, maybe 30 June or 31 July (I am guessing), in which case OP could claim their free extension(s).

If these free extensions happen to take OP to within 28 days of the start of their course, they could make their Tier 4 application in the UK. While Tier 4 dependants cannot normally apply for Tier 4 in the UK at all, there is a separate current concession to allow people to apply for Tier 4 in the UK who cannot normally do so. They must meet all the eligibility, including a max 28-day gap between the end of their leave and the start of the course.

See UKCISA's guide to the various current concessions:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... layer-6726
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Nicko Shulz
BANNED
Ecuador

Post by Nicko Shulz » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 am

At the moment, all borders are closed. And there is no point in getting a visa, because you still can’t leave the country

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am

Nicko Shulz wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 am
At the moment, all borders are closed. And there is no point in getting a visa, because you still can’t leave the country
OP is not asking about applying for a visa. They are already in the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.