ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice to fill the gap/ Visa expired in mid June and Switching to PHD in October

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

car
Newly Registered
Nepal

Need advice to fill the gap/ Visa expired in mid June and Switching to PHD in October

Post by car » Sun May 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi all,

My Tier-4 visa will be expired on 3rd week of June 2020 and I'm continuing my studies in the same university. My university will be giving the offer letter to start the PHD in October 2020.

With this COVID situation I am clueless what will happens.

I saw that home office is not working at the moment and due to current travel restrictions in both countries (Uk and home country), I'm not able to leave the country.

Seeking your expertise ideas:

A.)Is there any possibility to extend my tier -4 Visa without leaving the country due to COVID situation? My Tier-4 visa will be expired on 3rd week of June 2020

B.) My university will be giving the offer letter to start the PHD in October 2020. Can i suggest the university to bring forward my starting date Ex: July/ September? if possible on what grounds.

Seeking your expertise ideas.

stay safe

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Need advice to fill the gap/ Visa expired in mid June and Switching to PHD in October

Post by sah10406 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:03 am

car wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:38 pm
A.)Is there any possibility to extend my tier -4 Visa without leaving the country due to COVID situation? My Tier-4 visa will be expired on 3rd week of June 2020
At the moment the Home Office is only offering someone who cannot leave a free extension to 31 May. It seems likely this scheme may be extended for people who still cannot leave the UK after that, but there has been no announcement yet.

Whether you can make a Tier 4 application depends on whether you are still unable to leave the UK and using these free extensions 28 days before the start of your course. This is a requirement for applying in the UK which has not been removed or conceded. For you that will be sometime in September. This seems unlikely, and you should be prepared for leaving the UK when you can, then making the Tier 4 application in your home country.
car wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:38 pm
B.) My university will be giving the offer letter to start the PHD in October 2020. Can i suggest the university to bring forward my starting date Ex: July/ September? if possible on what grounds.
It depends, but it is worth asking. Sometimes PhD start dates are very flexible, sometimes they are not. It depends how your university manages that kind of thing.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.