ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage notice period - 70 days

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SylarGray
BANNED

Marriage notice period - 70 days

Post by SylarGray » Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 pm

Hello there,

My fiancée is in the UK on a YMS visa (tier 5), this visa ends in September. Once married we will apply for FLR(M) visa.

We gave notice of marriage at our local council offices for a Church of England ceremony, one week before lockdown began. The Home Office are supposed to send us a letter during the 28 day period to let us know if they are extending the notice period to 70 days. Since giving notice, we’ve not heard anything and it has been 55 days now. Not letters or anything since giving notice.

I know marriage ceremonies are banned currently, but does anyone know the legal position of the marriage notice period? As far as I’m aware, these haven’t changed and the legal limit is still 70 days for those without a relevant visa. However I’m worried we still won’t have heard anything by 70 days. What action should we take if this is the case? Will we need a lawyer to contact the Home Office?

I contacted the council and they just said they don’t know what the situation is, their registrars are preoccupied with registering deaths at the moment (understandable) so they can’t help.

Clearly we want to get married as soon as possible and would like to receive our Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate soon so we can start planning.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Marriage notice period - 70 days

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri May 08, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't think it's an automatic extension to 70 days. They may extend it to 70 days if they want to.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Marriage notice period - 70 days

Post by seagul » Fri May 08, 2020 3:48 pm

SylarGray wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 pm

I know marriage ceremonies are banned currently, but does anyone know the legal position of the marriage notice period?
In addition of marriages ceremonies the marriage notices won't be processed as well.
You cannot give notice at a register office or hold a wedding or civil partnership ceremony at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-part ... ive-notice
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.