ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I book in advance more than one Life in the UK test?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Gary3000
Belarus

Can I book in advance more than one Life in the UK test?

Post by Gary3000 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Hey all,

I would like to book in advance two Life in the UK exams. The reason is that I need a safety net if I don't pass for some reason on the first time (I'm extremely busy with urgent matters now), that I have enough time to pass before my visa expires, and given that these days exams slots are booked for two months ahead.

Question:
1) Is it possible?
2) Note that booking an exam is done via your UKVI account, through the home office website. So if I pass the first time, I need to cancel/not-show-up for the second one. Would this nullify my pass mark for the first exam, or something?

Thanks!

PS. I don't care for the money the exam costs by the way.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Can I book in advance more than one Life in the UK test?

Post by zimba » Thu May 07, 2020 12:46 am

As far as I know you cannot book two exams. The LIUK exam is very easy and a few hours of online practice should let you pass with ease.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks for your encouraging words!

I do think that it is possible---and the people from the test center have just confirmed that it is!

Xiongmao
Newly Registered
China

Post by Xiongmao » Thu May 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Yes I have booked several exams from the end of May to June.

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks Xiongmao, for your confirmation!

Gary3000
Belarus

"life in the UK" book: where can I download a PDF?

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello,
I need to have a quick read of this book. I don't mind paying, but the Royal Mail does not supply it fast enough.

Where can I find the third edition preferably online for download? Free or not.

Question 2: Is the following website an official version of the book:
Weblink removed by moderator?
In other words, is the content the same as the book UKVI refers to?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: "life in the UK" book: where can I download a PDF?

Post by CR001 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:53 pm

No the weblink is not an official link. The book is not downloadable as a PDF as far as I am aware. You need to buy the actual official book and read it.

WH Smith sells it. Go to a store near where you live.

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/life ... 89719.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paul911
Newly Registered

Post by paul911 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 pm

you can get an ebook on amazon

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Interesting. I already paid £20 for the Life in the UK book I was referred to by UKVI. So I am surprised that there is more than one official book.

In any case I am waiting for the Royal Mail now, but it is of course very inefficient so I need to get hold as soon as possible of an online available book.

I do think that the URL I supplied before is legal and possibly even official, hence I believe it was a mistake to censor it.
I am also not convinced it is not identical to the book recommended by UKVI.

In general, I am somewhat surprised that this book is being copyrighted, since this is in the interest of the UK to supply it to prospective citizens or even any person to know about the UK (the book portrays the UK in a very positive way).

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:24 pm

paul911 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 pm
you can get an ebook on amazon
Thanks Paul!
I will try to buy this one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Interesting. I already paid £20 for the Life in the UK book I was referred to by UKVI. So I am surprised that there is more than one official book.
There is only ONE official book. All the others that people claim are official are in fact not official ukvi issued books.
I do think that the URL I supplied before is legal and possibly even official, hence I believe it was a mistake to censor it.
I am also not convinced it is not identical to the book recommended by UKVI.
The URL you posted is NOT an official link. It is one of many that random people start.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 pm

The link you supplied by WH Smith does *not* seem identical to the book recommended directly by UKVI (which is the 3rd edition), hence, this seemingly contradicts the claim:
"There is only ONE official book."

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Is this the official book?

I was asked by UKVI to buy this one. But it seems different than the one mentioned above?? :oops: :cry:
Life in the United Kingdom
A Guide For New Residents

Author: Great Britain Home Office
Publisher: TSO (The Stationery Office)

Ensure you are fully prepared for your Life in the UK test with the only official handbook on which the Life in the UK test is based. This essential handbook contains all the official learning material for the test and is written in clear, simple language - making it easy to understand.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 pm

If you are a member of any public library at any borough/council then you can study the relevant material online with practice questions free of cost at following website:

https://gocitizen.co.uk/

Note: Above link is not related to third party.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Gary3000
Belarus

Is there only ONE official version for the Life in the UK book?

Post by Gary3000 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 pm

When booking a life in the UK test on UKVI website, one is directed to a link wherein they can purchase the book.

This is the link UKVI supplies:
https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp ... 7&AF=A3000

And this is the book one can buy from the above website:

Life in the United Kingdom
A Guide For New Residents

Published: 04 Feb 2013

Author: Great Britain Home Office
Publisher: TSO (The Stationery Office)

QUESTION: Is this the only official book to read? (Note it is from 2013).

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat May 09, 2020 3:17 am

DO NOT start new posts. :!: :!: :!:
YES the LIUK book has not changed since the 3rd edition.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Dear Sir,

My question was *different*, hence merits a new post.

I find the treatment of the question and the decision to delete it unjustified, and shows lack of respect.
The tone of your comments is also quite patronizing and I find it inadequate and disrespectful.

As for the answer itself, it contradicts the answer of a previous moderator who recommended the following:

WH Smith sells it. Go to a store near where you live.

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/life ... 89719.html

This is a different publisher as far as I can tell. (Let alone that her suggestion is impossible to adhere to since we are currently in lockdown and hence the bookshops are closed.)

Regards,
Gary

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Anyway, again, this is quite a strange circumstance in which different publishers publish different material.

And answers for my questions have provided different, seemingly contradictory answers.

And I would like to solicit a formal reply, or at least to reach some consensus of users.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm

Gary3000 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:33 pm
I find the treatment of the question and the decision to delete it unjustified, and shows lack of respect.
The tone of your comments is also quite patronizing and I find it inadequate and disrespectful.
First of all remember this is a free forum and we are all unpaid volunteers answering questions. If you do not like it, you should stop visiting as you are not entitled to any response or answer to begin with. :?
Gary3000 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Anyway, again, this is quite a strange circumstance in which different publishers publish different material.

And answers for my questions have provided different, seemingly contradictory answers.

And I would like to solicit a formal reply, or at least to reach some consensus of users.
You are wasting your time and confusing yourself on this minor issue. There are many many books sold under the title of life in the UK but they are NOT the official book. You are advised to get the official book which has the title 'Life in the United Kingdom, A Guide For New Residents' 3rd Edition (ISBN 9780113413409) published in 2013.

This is where you should get it from: https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/Society/Life- ... kID=002353
If you choose to buy from another outlet (WHSmith, Amazon, ect) you need to check you are getting the aforementioned book :!: :!:

IGNORE OTHER BOOKS

BootaKHAN

Post by BootaKHAN » Sat May 09, 2020 8:42 pm

Instead buying eBay amazon , get it from smith or other local store online . It nice to support UK businesses even if it is small purchase .

PM74Juve

Post by PM74Juve » Sun May 10, 2020 8:30 am

I wouldn't even bother with the book... you can get the text online on various sites. But importantly at least one site has exams in the actual test format that cover a high percentage of facts tested. Passing the test should be very easy by focusing on those tested facts. As above a few hours effort should be enough. The text itself is horribly outdated with now falsity in it as a result.

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Hello everyone,

So I am finally set to submit my ILR application, after passing the LiUK and English exams (yes, I've read the official LiUK book, and used the informal website that provides all 45 sample exams).

The application website asks me to check the following bullets and submit the documents for:

- Current biometric residence permit;
- Evidence of immigration status in the UK.

Question1: It is unclear, should I check *both* bullets, but only submit my BRP?

Thank you for your assistance.

Gary3000
Belarus

Post by Gary3000 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm

A different question: does anyone know whether there is a prospect for opening soon the Premium route/centers for fast ILR applications?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Gary3000 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Hello everyone,

So I am finally set to submit my ILR application, after passing the LiUK and English exams (yes, I've read the official LiUK book, and used the informal website that provides all 45 sample exams).

The application website asks me to check the following bullets and submit the documents for:

- Current biometric residence permit;
- Evidence of immigration status in the UK.

Question1: It is unclear, should I check *both* bullets, but only submit my BRP?

Thank you for your assistance.
Either. It is the same thing. Some people don't have a BRP and were issued with a 5 year visa vignette, which is what the second question refers to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 pm

Gary3000 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm
A different question: does anyone know whether there is a prospect for opening soon the Premium route/centers for fast ILR applications?
Priority and Super Priority service is not a UKCVAS centre service, which is only for identity check and biometrics. UKCVAS is a third party agent, not UKVI staff. It is a UKVI service and is also not a guaranteed service. There is no indication as yet of when these UKVI services will resume. They are still working through a massive backlog.
Char (CR001 not Casa)