ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am a HCSW, in a carehome. Can I work full time during this lock down period.

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ansonkuriakose
Newly Registered
India

I am a HCSW, in a carehome. Can I work full time during this lock down period.

Post by Ansonkuriakose » Sat May 02, 2020 10:12 am

Hello,

I am a MBA student at Northampton University. Currently am a HCSW (part time) in a nursing and mental Healthcare. Currently, most of our residents and nine of our staffs are tested positive for covid-19. Due to this our carehome is running sort of staff and the carehome manager want us to work full to overcome the crisis.

So can you let me know whether we(tire-4 visa students) can work full time, if are front line workers.

Kind Regards
Anson

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Re: I am a HCSW, in a carehome. Can I work full time during this lock down period.

Post by wikki » Sat May 02, 2020 10:59 am

No one here can say, really. You might want to shoot an email to the Home Office or five them a call.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: I am a HCSW, in a carehome. Can I work full time during this lock down period.

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 am

Ansonkuriakose wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:12 am
So can you let me know whether we(tire-4 visa students) can work full time, if are front line workers.
No. I am not sure why the other answer says that no-one knows and you must contact the Home Office directly. You can contact the Coronavirus Immigration Helpline if you wish, but the situation is clear.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... m-students > Tier 4 migrants > Working hours. It confirms that working hours are as normal except

3.10 Tier 4 students who have work rights and are employed by an NHS trust as a doctor, nurse or paramedic will not be restricted to 20 hours work per week during term time and may work without limit on the number of hours permitted.

3.11 Tier 4 students with work rights whose sponsor suspends all study as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak will be considered to be in vacation time and so will be permitted to work full-time during this period.

See also UKCISA's guide to all matters related to the pandemic, as they affect Tier 4 migrants:
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... layer-6726

They confirm that

Employers should not employ you full time unless your education provider confirms that you are on vacation (including suspension of study, which means you are not studying your course online), or have completed your course or are undertaking a work placement as an assessed part of your course.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

lad 14
Wales

Post by lad 14 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm

There is no limit now on number of hours a student work, you can work fulltime...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 pm

lad 14 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm
There is no limit now on number of hours a student work, you can work fulltime...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents
This guidance (last updated 12 May 2020) is not very easy to understand, but it is not saying all Tier 4 migrants can work more than 20 hours a week. It seems to be saying that people with Tier 4 leave doing those specific front-line healthcare roles for the NHS or independent listed can work more than 20 hours a week. The separate guidance for Tier 4 students (last updated 20 April 2020) says that only doctors, nurses and paramedics can work more than 20 hours.

I would recommend that any employer checks directly with the Home Office before allowing a Tier 4 student to work more than 20 hours a week in a healthcare role that is not a doctor, nurse or paramedic.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.