ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost UK passport and OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vin1983

Lost UK passport and OCI

Post by vin1983 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi - looks like in last few days I have lost my UK passport and OCI. I had kept them up for opening a new bank account in India and due to all the covid related chaos, it may have been left somewhere or due to they being within the Xerox copies it may have been binned :(

I have just realised and looking for some help:
1. UK passport seems very straightforward as per the gov.uk site
2. For OCI, do I need to report to the local police station and get a reference? As I said its not stolen but lost so do I need goto the station and report it or can do it online?

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: Lost UK passport and OCI

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Are you currently in the UK or abroad?

If you are abroad, your first port of call regarding what to do about the British passport is the British High Commission/Embassy in the country you are in.

Keep in mind that British passports can take up to a year for applications from overseas (though that mainly impacts first British passports, but it could impact you as well). If you need to return to the UK urgently, you may want to speak to the British diplomatic authorities about getting an Emergency Travel Document to get to the UK and then apply for a British passport from within the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

xebec
Australia

Re: Lost UK passport and OCI

Post by xebec » Sat May 16, 2020 9:08 am

If you cannot find it, report it as lost. That way the passport cannot be misused. Governments share lost and stolen passport numbers to an international database so that its not used as fake id to cross boundaries. If you rpassport is lost, you have to by law, make a police complaint, as the passport is property of the government.

That police case will also help in getting a new OCI, but bear in mind that you might have to pay full charges for the OCI - check with VFS if this applies.