ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiting for ceremony but want to change my name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

GoldenS
Newly Registered

Waiting for ceremony but want to change my name

Post by GoldenS » Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi I want to change my name and I'm wondering what is the best way to do it. Im currently waiting to book my ceremony. At what stage should I apply for the name change between now and when I apply for a passport and will the name on the citizenship certificate change?
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Waiting for ceremony but want to change my name

Post by CR001 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm

If you change your name, the name on your certificate will NOT change.

You should wait until you have a British passport and then change your name and foreign passport and apply for a new British passport again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 17, 2020 4:21 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm
You should wait until you have a British passport and then change your name and foreign passport and apply for a new British passport again.
Totally agree. Now is the wrong time to change your name.

Keep in mind that you will need to change your name in all foreign passports that you have before applying for a first British passport in your new name.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

GoldenS
Newly Registered

Post by GoldenS » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Thank you for your replies.
Just to clarify I don't have any other passport. The passport I came to the UK with had expired about 8 years ago and I can't apply for another one as there is no way to do that from the UK.

Is it not possible to change the name after the ceremony before I apply for the passport to save my self the fees? And if I have to apply for a second passport to change the name how much it will be and how long it will take?

Thank you very much for your help

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:15 pm

HMPO will not issue you a first british passport in a different name to that in your foreign passport. Even if your passport is expired, it still has to be submitted with your British passport application and your names must match.

The passport costs the same each time you apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

GoldenS
Newly Registered

Post by GoldenS » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 pm

I see. So I should change my name after getting the first passport. Will I have to submit my expired passport that I entered the UK with when applying for the 2nd passport?