ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 redundancies

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vtox_g

Re: Tier 2 redundancies

Post by vtox_g » Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm

@Waseem432000 which forum as we talking about where Tier-2 visas should be extended for 12-18 months? I think we should come together and support this. When we pay an equal amount of tax we deserve a fair chance during this unprecedented situation. No one has seen anything like this, with this whole situation they should ease the gen tier 2 rule giving a chance to stay a little longer and work in a different area till you find the right job.

ds2016

Post by ds2016 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm

vtox_g wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm
@Waseem432000 which forum as we talking about where Tier-2 visas should be extended for 12-18 months? I think we should come together and support this. When we pay an equal amount of tax we deserve a fair chance during this unprecedented situation. No one has seen anything like this, with this whole situation they should ease the gen tier 2 rule giving a chance to stay a little longer and work in a different area till you find the right job.
Tier 2 migrants are such a tiny minority here in the UK that I don't think we will be ever listened to... We could try writing a petition though or something like that

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:12 am

I dont see how its practical to give a blanket extension to Tier 2 migrants for 12 -18 months. The best we could hope for is an extension of a month or two to the curtailment period or some relaxation in the visa process (again unlikely given that many EEA workers will also be looking for jobs in this period).

Tier 2 migrants dont have recourse to public funds. So how can someone be there without a job for a year in a high cost of living country. Very few people have that level of savings.

ds2016

Post by ds2016 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 am

rubyracer2 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:12 am
I dont see how its practical to give a blanket extension to Tier 2 migrants for 12 -18 months.
Tier 2 migrants dont have recourse to public funds. So how can someone be there without a job for a year in a high cost of living country. Very few people have that level of savings.
I don't agree. Many of us here on Tech 2 are in tech and have decent savings. Having my visa extended for 12-18 months would personally bring me massive amounts of peace of mind.

I have now found the article where Gerard Grech (the Tech Nation chief executive) urges the Home Office to extend Tier 2 visas for 18 months (I think this is what was mentioned above):
https://workpermit.com/news/extend-uk-t ... n-20200406

Does anyone know what this Tech Nation is? They seem to have at least some connection to the HO. But can they have any influence over HO decisions or Gerard's address to the Home Office can be merely seen as a modest attempt to change things?

Waseem432000
Mood:

Post by Waseem432000 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm

ds2016 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:37 pm
Waseem432000 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:49 pm
I hope things improve quickly and as soon as lockdown is over, the economy takes a big turn for the good
So far this seems extremely unlikely.
Waseem432000 wrote:
common sense would say that HO may want to give skilled people a fair chance to get new employments
Why would they? They have designed their whole immigration system around the idea that it should be as difficult as possible for people to stay, and they clearly don't want to see immigrants making the UK their home. Now is a perfect chance for them to kick many people out of the country and finally make their electorate happy
Waseem432000 wrote:
there are voices and forums in the country who want the government to extend all Tier-2 visas for 12-18 months and let people do other employment but sadly, can't see that happen.
Haha yes this will never happen. Not in this country
There are a lot of credible financial institutions who are predicting UK economy should recover more than half of its losses at end of this year and full in middle of next year unless there is a severe second wave. You can image financial institutions and hospitality recovery slowly as they are dependent on lots of other countries and services.

I am not saying that HO will give the extension for all, just saying that it makes life sense especially for skilled immigrants who are/were working on occupations which are in dire need of more experienced professionals once things go back to normal.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:04 pm

ds2016 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 am
rubyracer2 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:12 am
I dont see how its practical to give a blanket extension to Tier 2 migrants for 12 -18 months.
I don't agree. Many of us here on Tech 2 are in tech and have decent savings. Having my visa extended for 12-18 months would personally bring me massive amounts of peace of mind.

I have now found the article where Gerard Grech (the Tech Nation chief executive) urges the Home Office to extend Tier 2 visas for 18 months (I think this is what was mentioned above):
https://workpermit.com/news/extend-uk-t ... n-20200406

Does anyone know what this Tech Nation is? They seem to have at least some connection to the HO. But can they have any influence over HO decisions or Gerard's address to the Home Office can be merely seen as a modest attempt to change things?
Tech nation has nothing to do with tier 2 as such. Tech nation is the organisation that endorses migrants for the global talent visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm

ds2016 wrote:
It would bring me peace of mind too.. But that doesnt mean its going to happen.

A blanket increase in visa period for Tier 2 employees means the government has to allow them to work any job. This is unlikely due to the upcoming economic climate where EEA migrants would be desperate to get any available work.

It is wishful thinking.

ds2016

Post by ds2016 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:41 pm

rubyracer2 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm
ds2016 wrote:
A blanket increase in visa period for Tier 2 employees means the government has to allow them to work any job. This is unlikely due to the upcoming economic climate where EEA migrants would be desperate to get any available work.
Yeah... classic. The new point-based system was meant to make everyone equal, yet non-EEA people are obviously going to continue being treated as second rate citizen.

Tier 2 has always been a complete misery but it only took a couple of months of the COVID crisis in order for it to become an absolutely devastating shitshow

vtox_g

Post by vtox_g » Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm

ds2016 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm
vtox_g wrote:
Tier 2 migrants are such a tiny minority here in the UK that I don't think we will be ever listened to... We could try writing a petition though or something like that
Someone has shared the article, I think that makes sense. there might be 100s or may even 1000s of tier 2 visa holders will lose their job during this crisis I am sure it will have some impacts on the UK economy if they save these skilled workers. I think we should come together at this time and support or maybe file a petition.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am

Picku wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:35 am
Few of my mates have got laid off from different firms. They surprisingly received the letter in couple of weeks. I think since visa processing is not happening the visa office seems to be sitting around with no work and are making this as priority which is bad for us
That's bad news!

I have some friends in risk of being made redundant and they asked me for advice on this, since I was in this situation last year. In my case, I never received a curtailment letter from the HO after 5 months and a half of being laid off.

But now the situation has changed, which is not good for Tier 2 workers.

ds2016

Post by ds2016 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am
In my case, I never received a curtailment letter from the HO after 5 months and a half of being laid off.
Well, looks like it is a lottery...

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

vtox_g wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm
ds2016 wrote:
vtox_g wrote:
Someone has shared the article, I think that makes sense. there might be 100s or may even 1000s of tier 2 visa holders will lose their job during this crisis I am sure it will have some impacts on the UK economy if they save these skilled workers. I think we should come together at this time and support or maybe file a petition.
vtox_g, you seem to forget that a Tier 2 visa is to allow UK companies to employ people with skill they cannot currently find in the UK. If there are no jobs available, then those people who lost their jobs have to go home, and when the companies are employing again, because things have got better and they need to go overseas to find the skills needed, then those people are free apply for the jobs again and return, or if they believe they are better off where they are, stay. It's a buyers market, and the UK can afford to be choosy.

There will be skilled UK workers being laid off as well don't forget, and those people should fill the available jobs first. The UK does not owe anyone from other countries a job and safe place to live, after all, I expect there are next to no British citizens desperate to move to the countries the T2 visa holders are arriving from, and you only want to be here because it is better than where you came from, otherwise you would not even come here in the first place.

So, please do not say the UK govt is just trying to get people out of the country, it is not true and is somewhat disrespectful, the UK govt has to manage population growth and the economy.

quoala
Mood:

Post by quoala » Tue May 19, 2020 10:41 am

You certainly forgot to mention T2 workers have built a life in the UK.

T2 workers have been "invited" to help the economy, at times like this the least expected is for the gov not to worsen their situation especially that they have NRPF.
THO wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am
vtox_g wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 pm
ds2016 wrote:
vtox_g wrote:
vtox_g, you seem to forget that a Tier 2 visa is to allow UK companies to employ people with skill they cannot currently find in the UK. If there are no jobs available, then those people who lost their jobs have to go home, and when the companies are employing again, because things have got better and they need to go overseas to find the skills needed, then those people are free apply for the jobs again and return, or if they believe they are better off where they are, stay. It's a buyers market, and the UK can afford to be choosy.

There will be skilled UK workers being laid off as well don't forget, and those people should fill the available jobs first. The UK does not owe anyone from other countries a job and safe place to live, after all, I expect there are next to no British citizens desperate to move to the countries the T2 visa holders are arriving from, and you only want to be here because it is better than where you came from, otherwise you would not even come here in the first place.

So, please do not say the UK govt is just trying to get people out of the country, it is not true and is somewhat disrespectful, the UK govt has to manage population growth and the economy.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:46 am

ds2016 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm
Well, looks like it is a lottery...
Yeah, it seems like that. The problem is that I tried to give some hope to my friends when they asked me about the ETA of the letter coming from the HO... but the current situation is very extraordinary.
THO wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm
There will be skilled UK workers being laid off as well don't forget, and those people should fill the available jobs first
That's true... for sure, there are skilled UK workers losing their jobs during this pandemic and they will be ready to take any job available. In fact, I won't be surprised if the government modify the Tier 2 criteria until the economy returns back to normal.

Some countries are advising foreign citizens and workers to go back to their home countries, e.g. Australia, they say there's no jobs or financial aid available for everyone.

We can't blame governments for this, nobody expected to be in a global pandemic and destroy their own economy.
Last edited by lolo2 on Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

seeking advice
Newly Registered

Post by seeking advice » Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am

Hi
I came here in 2017 on tier 2 with my 4 kidz.2 of them are still under 18(16+ and 15) and are studying in schools here.
I am also most likely to be made redundant shortly.
Do the HO will consider educational disruption of children as one of the factors for curtailment of leave.
Can they extend the leave to remain beyond current visa expiry which is June 2021? allowing children to complete the statutory educational grade of A level.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm

quoala,

People are not invited anymore than people want to come here. It's a fact that not one worker here has arrived because it did not suit them more than staying in their own country. Not one of them looked at the UK and said, I think I will go there because they really need my help to build a better country.

And not one of them would stay in they UK if they got offered a great job with enough money and prospects and schooling for the kids and healthcare and police that don't take bribes and a clean and tidy low pollution environment with safe food etc.

If the T2 worker has been here for long enough to have built a life, then they would have applied for residency. The T2 visa is one that allows them to stay to work, no work, no visa, they knew the score when they got the visa and should have expected they may need to go home.

And as I pointed out, there will be lots of skilled UK people who will need jobs, should they be unable to get that "skilled job" because it is now being done by someone who was not born and bred here? It is a harsh World we live in, and now with the likely collapse of the British economy, we might well need to downsize our immigration potential.

JohndoesUK
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nambia

Post by JohndoesUK » Tue May 19, 2020 2:00 pm

seeking advice wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
Hi
I came here in 2017 on tier 2 with my 4 kidz.2 of them are still under 18(16+ and 15) and are studying in schools here.
Do the HO will consider educational disruption of children as one of the factors for curtailment of leave.
Can they extend the leave to remain beyond current visa expiry which is June 2021? allowing children to complete the statutory educational grade of A level.
I am not an immigration expert but I highly doubt the UK will consider the educational disruption of your children at all. The issuance of the curtailment letter will be completely independent of anything your dependants are doing.

If your employer has plans to make you redundant, please make them aware that they could just put you on furlough instead and you can get 80% of your salary which they can then claim back from the UK government. It does not count as public funds, so migrants on T2 visas are still eligible for this scheme. This scheme will continue all the way until October to my understanding so it could provide you with a source of income for a little while.

ds2016

Post by ds2016 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm

THO wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm
And not one of them would stay in they UK if they got offered a great job with enough money and prospects and schooling for the kids and healthcare and police that don't take bribes and a clean and tidy low pollution environment with safe food etc.
Not true.
THO wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm
If the T2 worker has been here for long enough to have built a life, then they would have applied for residency.
Not true. You don't just suddenly start "having a life" in the UK after being here for 5 years.

Imagine someone who's been in the UK on T2 for 4.5 years and just lost their job. They would be treated in the same way as someone who just arrived a few months ago. But they would probably also have tons of friends here (and potentially none back home), they would maybe even have a mortgage here in the UK. If they had to lose all that their life would be completely destroyed. Their kids would be going to school here in the UK and have tons of friends here in the UK. Kids lives would be destroyed too.

These are harsh times indeed, but this is exactly why we need a bit more compassion from the HO these days. Even if the T2 workers are not the top priority in terms of giving people jobs, just let them stay in the country for a bit longer than you would do otherwise. The 2-month curtailment period is ridiculously short, and the fact that people are getting their curtailment letters days after getting laid off is simply appalling.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am

ds2016, You telling me that you think people would be coming to work in the UK if their own country offered them a better life in more ways than moving to the UK does? Rubbish, they would stay in their own country. Equally, if they arrived here and later decided they wanted to leave, because they got a better offer back home, they would go back. Many just come here short term anyway, with no intentions of making this country their home, they are looking for fast cash so they can pay for a better life in their country when they return.

The T2 visa is a T2 visa and any family arriving on one, knows the score, they need a sponsor company to be here and the company they work for has to have the right paperwork to employ people from non Euro countries. The company had to go through the process of advertising the position in the UK first for at least 28 days, before they can look for outside people to fulfil the role.

With lots of people available to work, what are the chances of the T2 worker being able to find a job anytime soon? If those rules are relaxed so they have much longer to look, or the UK company no longer needs to advertise for British workers, then UK workers will potentially loose out, and require financial support from the govt / tax payer while the economy recovers.

And who pays for the T2 family now the breadwinner is not working, while he/she looks for employment?

No one saw what is happening coming, and no company wants to be in a position where they have to lay people off, but it is happening, and jobs are becoming more scarce now. Those who have kept their jobs will stay, but those who sadly lost their jobs must return and try again if they want to when things get better.

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm

seeking advice wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
Hi
I doubt this. I have completed 4 years and facing redundancy now though it hasnt been confirmed. The home office is not going to make any concessions because their primary focus would be to make sure Brits get the first pick of the jobs and without jobs how can people survive for very long in a country where cost of living is high.

I hope I can make it for another year somehow but things are looking bleak for sure

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm

It may well be that even if you have to return to your home country now, in time, you will be able to return on another T2 visa, and maybe the HO will consider your previous length in UK as part of 5 years needed for ILR? Given the circumstances by which you were forced to go home, but this is obviously a guess, and not an opinion or fact.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm

THO wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm
It may well be that even if you have to return to your home country now, in time, you will be able to return on another T2 visa, and maybe the HO will consider your previous length in UK as part of 5 years needed for ILR? Given the circumstances by which you were forced to go home, but this is obviously a guess, and not an opinion or fact.
They won't. Absence of 180 days breaks continuity of residence. Tier 2 visa holders are also mostly subject to the 12 month cooling off period before they can apply for a tier 2 visa again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 pm

THO wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm
Unfortunately the moment the visa is curtailed and you leave the country, the continuous residency is broken and the next visa is subject to a 12 month cooling off period.

Lots of people are going to be in the same boat. But what can we do. c'est la vie

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

When will you know about your fate Rubyracer? Are you furloughed now?

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm

A friend of mine got redundant about 5 months ago, and he is still looking for a job. He hasn't received any curtailment letter. And once the curtailment letter arrives, it is 60 days from the date of curtailment letter. Most of the cases I have heard or know in person, it take months to arrive so I suppose those who get redundant should stay hopeful and are likely to get a good few months to try their luck!