ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Financial Requirements Query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Options for the immigration of my Ukrainian fiance

Post by mythrowaway » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi there,

I recently (June 2019) received my British Citizenship, and currently reside & work in the UK.

I proposed to my girlfriend (who is a Ukrainian national, currently residing in Ukraine) and would like for her to move to the UK to live with me.

Having browsed through the visa & immigration government site, I realised that she can apply on using a family visa as my fiancé:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

If we were to get married in Ukraine however, would that make this process easier/ cheaper? Is there a limit on how long we must've been married (or have lived together at least) before applying for the visa?

On the above linked site, it says that she must meet one of the following options:

- you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
- you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
- you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

So if we're already married, we don't have to have lived together for 2 years in the past? Or are there further complications somewhere else.

I noticed something about having to have lived together for 2 years after marriage before she can apply on a spouse visa, but I'm unable to find that page on the government website anymore - perhaps in the confusion of it all, I made it up.

Can anyone shed light on our options please?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Options for the immigration of my Ukrainian fiance

Post by seagul » Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 am

mythrowaway wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm
If we were to get married in Ukraine however, would that make this process easier/ cheaper?
Yes correct. An astute applicant/sponsor will always be inclined over this option.
mythrowaway wrote:

Is there a limit on how long we must've been married (or have lived together at least) before applying for the visa?
No limit. Once you have all documents ready then can proceed to the application even next day of wedding.
mythrowaway wrote:

On the above linked site, it says that she must meet one of the following options:

If you both are free to marry then a legally performed overseas wedding will be recognized in UK.
mythrowaway wrote:
So if we're already married, we don't have to have lived together for 2 years in the past? Or are there further complications somewhere else.
No. That is required for unmarried partners or those applying extensions.
mythrowaway wrote:
I noticed something about having to have lived together for 2 years after marriage before she can apply on a spouse visa, but I'm unable to find that page on the government website anymore - perhaps in the confusion of it all, I made it up.
There are various discussions and threads which you can search yourself.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Spouse visa requirements

Post by mythrowaway » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am

I am a British Citizen, currently residing in the UK while my fiancé lives in Ukraine.
We have met lot's of times throughout the years, in constant communication throughout the day via the internet but have never actually lived together.

Our plan was for her to move to the UK to live with me.

Having read through the fiancé visa requirements, we decided it may be better to get married first - in Ukraine, before she applies for her visa to move to the UK.

I checked the requirements on the UK government website for a spouse visa and wasn't able to determine whether we have had to live together in the past, for her to qualify for a spouse visa.

The rules (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse) state what we need to prove:
What you’ll need to prove
You must be able to prove one of the following:

- you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
- you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

You also need to prove you:

- have a good knowledge of English
- can financially support yourself and your dependants
Which to me sounds like as soon as we get legally married in Ukraine, (providing she has met the other above listed requirements) she is fully qualifiable for a spouse visa?

Is there anything else that we might need to prove? I would really appreciate any clarification on the requirements if anyone has any knowledge of them.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa requirements

Post by CR001 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am

Topics merged.

There is NO requirement to have lived together for two years to qualify for a spouse visa. That requirement is for an unmarried partner visa as already advised 2 days ago when you asked the same question.

You need to prove she meets the english requirement. You have to prove you meet the financial requirements and adequate accommodation. You also have to prove subsisting relationship, ie evidence of holidays and communications such as WhatsApp messages etc.

Anything not in English must be officially translated.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Financial Requirements Query

Post by mythrowaway » Thu May 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Having checked through the financial requirements on the government website for a spouse visa, I just wanted to double check if my wife (which currently resides in Ukraine) and I would have the sufficient requirements.

Would my:
- Bank statements from the last 3 months (showing a minimum of £18,000 in savings + income from wage)
- Payslips from the last 6 months

and my wife's:
- Bank statements from the last 3 months (translated & notarised)

be sufficient for her to be granted a visa?

She is not currently employed in Ukraine so will not be able to provide proof of income from her end.

Will my finances be sufficient enough to fulfil the requirements?

Additionally, do I have to notarise my UK bank statements in any way for my wife's application? My bank doesn't offer any 'stamp of approval' that the statement is in fact genuine.

Casa

Re: Spouse Visa Financial Requirements Query

Post by Casa » Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Savings must have been held in an accessible bank account for a minimum of 6 months.

The first £16,000 in savings is disregarded, so only £2,000 will be considered towards meeting the minimum income level. What are your earnings (before tax & NIC deductions) during the last 12 month period?

Your wife's bank statements are irrelevant unless you are using these as proof of joint savings.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Thu May 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Casa wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 pm
Savings must have been held in an accessible bank account for a minimum of 6 months.
Thanks. That's good to know. I assume my regular bank account is fine for this? It's just in my name, and my partner does not have access to it (it's not a joined bank account).
Casa wrote:
The first £16,000 in savings is disregarded, so only £2,000 will be considered towards meeting the minimum income level. What are your earnings (before tax & NIC deductions) during the last 12 month period?
Is there a reason why the first £16,000 is disregarded?

I'm on a £34,000 annual salary with approximately £20,000 in accessible savings (immediate spending money).
Casa wrote:
Your wife's bank statements are irrelevant unless you are using these as proof of joint savings.
Does joint savings mean a joint bank account?

I was under the impression that we could show that both of our savings combined + my annual salary would be sufficient. Is that possible?

Sorry for so many questions

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa requirements

Post by CR001 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am
Topics merged.
Topics merged again. Please do not post new topics in other parts of the forum. Keep ALL your questions in ONE topic, this one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Thu May 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Oh, sorry, I didn't know. I just thought I should make a new post because it's off topic from the previous ones.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

mythrowaway wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm on a £34,000 annual salary
With above salary if from UK paye employment then there is no need of showing any savings as it is alone sufficient.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Does this also mean that I have to get a letter from my employer?

I assume wages (payslips) from the last 6 months are fine?

I recently (in April) changed jobs, moving to a different company - will that affect it at all?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 pm

mythrowaway wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 pm
Does this also mean that I have to get a letter from my employer?

I assume wages (payslips) from the last 6 months are fine?

I recently (in April) changed jobs, moving to a different company - will that affect it at all?
Yes you will need a recently dated employer letter giving all key information about your job. Also if you have recently changed the employer then you will have to rely on category B, for which you will need the payslips covering the last 12 months even from different employer along with corresponding bank statements.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 am

seagul wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 pm
along with corresponding bank statements.
Do they have to be 'verified'/ notarised? My bank doesn't provide anything to say that 'this is a legitimate statement' sort of thing.

They just send me an electronic PDF where you can see my:
- Name
- Address
- IBAN
- Branch identifier code
- Account number
- Sort code
- Branch address
- Contact details of the bank

Will this be sufficient? Or do I have to go to a lawyer and ask them to notarise it?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 am

mythrowaway wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 am
seagul wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 pm
along with corresponding bank statements.
Do they have to be 'verified'/ notarised? My bank doesn't provide anything to say that 'this is a legitimate statement' sort of thing.

- Name
- Address
- IBAN
- Branch identifier code
- Account number
- Sort code
- Branch address

Will this be sufficient? Or do I have to go to a lawyer and ask them to notarise it?
There is no requirement to notarize. The electronic copy you get should be a replica of what original and covering the relevant period.
What you described above appears to reflect the necessary.

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Fri May 29, 2020 12:44 pm

My partner says that just a regular bank statement will not suffice, and my bank does not offer any type of 'verification' that the document is in fact legitimate. I receive electronic bank statements.

Are there details of what the bank statement evidence document should contain?

As for meeting the requirements for living arrangements, I am currently residing at my parent's home where there are 2 bedrooms + a living & dining room downstairs. I do not own the property, nor do I pay rent. They have agreed to let my spouse and I stay until we find a home of our own.

What evidence must I provide as sufficient proof of adequate accommodation?

Is a letter addressed from my parents sufficient?
Do we need to provide anything else for the visa?

mythrowaway
Newly Registered

Post by mythrowaway » Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I apparently can get a signed visa letter from my bank, which contains my balance, when my account was opened and my address. But they cannot sign or stamp the actual statements. Will this be fine to submit?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri May 29, 2020 1:56 pm

mythrowaway wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Are there details of what the bank statement evidence document should contain?
mythrowaway wrote:
- Name
- Address
- IBAN
- Branch identifier code
- Account number
- Sort code
- Branch address
That format & details on bank statements are sufficient
mythrowaway wrote:
As for meeting the requirements for living arrangements, I am currently residing at my parent's home where there are 2 bedrooms + a living & dining room downstairs. I do not own the property, nor do I pay rent. They have agreed to let my spouse and I stay until we find a home of our own.

What evidence must I provide as sufficient proof of adequate accommodation?

Is a letter addressed from my parents sufficient?
Do we need to provide anything else for the visa?
Title deeds, mortgage statement & parents noc (permission) letter should be suffice.