ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retaintion of Irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Goodman2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Retaintion of Irish citizenship

Post by Goodman2019 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

I am an Irish citizen by naturalisation and living in UK for 3 years, and about to fill out form 5 for Irish citizenship retaintion.
Do you think that DOJ will frown at it since I supposed to have done this on yearly basis.
Some of us just became aware of this only recently.
Please, any ideas, or recent experience on this, am a bit concerned.
Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Retaintion of Irish citizenship

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 am

According to Irish Times, there are only 5 persons who have their citizenship stripped in the state. I don’t expect you to be the 6th.

They can only consider revoking a certificate if you have lived out of state for more than 7 years without declaring your intention to retain your citizenship.

Goodman2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Goodman2019 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 am
According to Irish Times, there are only 5 persons who have their citizenship stripped in the state. I don’t expect you to be the 6th.

They can only consider revoking a certificate if you have lived out of state for more than 7 years without declaring your intention to retain your citizenship.
Thanks for your reply, please on what grounds were those certificates revoked?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Goodman2019 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm
littlerr wrote:

Thanks for your reply, please on what grounds were those certificates revoked?
Mostly fraud I would say. It’s impossible to keep track on every single naturalised Irish person to see where they live, and whether they are just abroad for a holiday or college or taking up permanent residency there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... 5?mode=amp

nojoyfrominis

Post by nojoyfrominis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Iam U.K. citizen and living in Ireland for 7 years. I don’t need to tell home office as U.K. considers cta acceptable . I’m surprised Ireland doesn’t reciprocate

Goodman2019
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Goodman2019 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 pm

nojoyfrominis wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:27 pm
Iam U.K. citizen and living in Ireland for 7 years. I don’t need to tell home office as U.K. considers cta acceptable . I’m surprised Ireland doesn’t reciprocate
Unfortunately, Ireland does not consider common travel area in the respect.
Am a bit curious to hear from someone who has recently done the Irish citizenship retaintion process.

loyozlr
Newly Registered
China

Post by loyozlr » Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm

littlerr wrote:

Hi, should people fill out the Form5 in the 2nd year after Citizenship obtained or as long as it’s within 7 years.

Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm

loyozlr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm
littlerr wrote:

Hi, should people fill out the Form5 in the 2nd year after Citizenship obtained or as long as it’s within 7 years.

Thanks.

Legally speaking, only from the 7th year. As I previously mentioned, I don’t even think they are keeping a record of how long you have been out of the state. After all, there is no official process for the Irish government to check the whereabouts of an Irish citizen all the time.
There’s no harm for you to do this from the 2nd year though. I would probably do it from the 2nd year if I need to live abroad.

loyozlr
Newly Registered
China

Post by loyozlr » Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm
loyozlr wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Thanks.

Legally speaking, only from the 7th year. As I previously mentioned, I don’t even think they are keeping a record of how long you have been out of the state. After all, there is no official process for the Irish government to check the whereabouts of an Irish citizen all the time.
There’s no harm for you to do this from the 2nd year though. I would probably do it from the 2nd year if I need to live abroad.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I will do the same in future.
:mrgreen:

hako
Turkey

Post by hako » Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am

littlerr wrote:
loyozlr wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Thanks.

Lets say you got your citizenship and left the island 10 years after and after that you need fill out form 5 for the rest of your life even if you are 70 or 80 years old? Or is it valid only after a certain period?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 am

hako wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 am
littlerr wrote:
loyozlr wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Thanks.

Lets say you got your citizenship and left the island 10 years after and after that you need fill out form 5 for the rest of your life even if you are 70 or 80 years old? Or is it valid only after a certain period?
I think as far as the legislation is concerned, you have to fill it out for the rest of your life, although it is simply unenforceable by the government and unrealistic for a senior citizen to do that every year.