ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New 14 day quarantine for arrivals in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ivetalopes

New 14 day quarantine for arrivals in UK

Post by ivetalopes » Sun May 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I can't find any information online.

I am a British citizen travelling to Heathrow on 17th June. I will not be staying in UK. I will plan to catch another flight from Gatwick airport on the same day 4 hours later and travel to Bulgaria. I have to pass border control to collect my suitcase. I am considered a landside transit passenger. Will I be quarantined?

I can only find information online about airside passengers with connecting flights who do not pass border control. But it says nothing about landside passenfers who are also in transit but must pass border control in order to collect their suitcases.

Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: New 14 day quarantine for arrivals in UK

Post by seagul » Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 pm

ivetalopes wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:05 pm
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I can't find any information online.

I am a British citizen travelling to Heathrow on 17th June. I will not be staying in UK. I will plan to catch another flight from Gatwick airport on the same day 4 hours later and travel to Bulgaria. I have to pass border control to collect my suitcase. I am considered a landside transit passenger. Will I be quarantined?

I can only find information online about airside passengers with connecting flights who do not pass border control. But it says nothing about landside passenfers who are also in transit but must pass border control in order to collect their suitcases.

Thanks
Unfortunately the guidance is very limited and equivocal as it doesn't cover different situations/scenario which might arise later including the one you will have. But in strict sense of that new guidance you will be subjected to this new enforcement because you will actually have to cross the airport and enter the city, however, the authorities might exercise discretion if you will satisfy them with your subsequent travel arrangements.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ivetalopes

Post by ivetalopes » Sun May 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Yes you are right they might. But they might not and so it is very difficult to know what to do :(

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 pm

I would try to find different arrangements for the suitcase. You can FedEx to any location in the world.

If you go past the border, they are not supposed to see you 4 hours later.

You can take the risk to talk your way out of it or hope that it won't be strictly enforced, but you won't know until the day.

ivetalopes

Post by ivetalopes » Sun May 24, 2020 6:32 pm

How do you mean they are not supposed to see me 4 hours later?

The flight I will catch is on the same terminal. So If I get off the airplane and walk to connections I can just check in for the other flight, right? No need to go to passport control.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun May 24, 2020 6:39 pm

I am extremely sure that to reach Bulgaria there must be a lot of other alternative routes too even at more cheaper cost. So better to travel stress freely by changing your route. Furthermore, since you are a British national so apart of Europe you might not even need the visa if you travel/stay/transit from most of the none-EU countries.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ivetalopes

Post by ivetalopes » Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't have many options right now because of the new quarantine they are imposing from 8th June. I can't leave the airport

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm

No need to go to passport control.
If you need to go out to get the suitcase from someone who is waiting in the terminal hall, then you have to go through passport control. In such scenario, they are not supposed to see you again before 14 days.

But honestly, it seems you are making your route to complicated for the sake of this suitcase.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Are there no direct flights from wherever you are currently to Bulgaria? If not, would it be easier for you to fly to Istanbul or Kiev and then take a connecting flight from there?
ivetalopes wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:05 pm
travelling to Heathrow on 17th June. I will not be staying in UK. I will plan to catch another flight from Gatwick airport on the same day 4 hours later and travel to Bulgaria.
ivetalopes wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:32 pm
The flight I will catch is on the same terminal.
If you deplane at Heathrow and travel to Gatwick for a flight, you are not even at the same airport, never mind the same terminal.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.