ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non Eu mother having pre settled status need NINO

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Leo_one
France

How can my non EU mother having pre settled status apply for national insurance number

Post by Leo_one » Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 am

Hi anyone have idea how can my mother apply for national insurance number. Her age is 80 years and never work. She came 6 months before on EU settlement scheme dependent parent visa and then got pre settled status for 5 years residence card. I have called the office of DWP NI department but they said only working age people can apply NI. Now I haven't any idea how can I apply NI number because she need that number for eye test and glasses and dental treatment. Please advise me Thanks

Leo_one
France

Non Eu mother having pre settled status need NINO

Post by Leo_one » Sat May 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi this question before I put in other topic but I couldn't got answer now I guess this one the right section. Please I need help if anyone have idea how can my mother apply for national insurance number. Her age is 80 years and never work. She came 6 months before on EU settlement scheme dependent parent visa and then got pre settled status for 5 years residence card. I have called the office of DWP NI department but they said only working age people can apply NI. Now I haven't any idea how can I apply NI number because she need that number for eye test and glasses and dental treatment. Please advise me Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: How can my non EU mother having pre settled status apply for national insurance number

Post by JB007 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Leo_one wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 am
Hi anyone have idea how can my mother apply for national insurance number. Her age is 80 years and never work. She came 6 months before on EU settlement scheme dependent parent visa and then got pre settled status for 5 years residence card. I have called the office of DWP NI department but they said only working age people can apply NI. Now I haven't any idea how can I apply NI number because she need that number for eye test and glasses and dental treatment. Please advise me Thanks
She doesn't need a NINo to visit a dentist. You pay for your mother's dental treatment as she is dependant on you. If you can only find a private dentist for her, they will have their own charges. If you can find an NHS dentist for her, you will pay one of the 3 NHS charging bands, depending on what treatment she has - either, £22.70, £62.10, £269.30. Any treatment that is not coverered under those 3 bands, you will need to pay privately for her.

There is a free eye test for the over 60s who have permission to reside in the UK, but many optiicians offer free eye tests: could find one of those for her?

I'm not sure why you need a NINo for glasses? There aren't any free glasses if that is what you were thinking? There is a voucher for some towards the costs of glasses but your mother can't have a voucher as she is not dependant on the welfare state to keep her, she is dependant on you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: How can my non EU mother having pre settled status apply for national insurance number

Post by JB007 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Basically, there is no free dentist treatment or free glasses in the UK because a person is old. Elderly Brits have to pay for their own dentist treatment and glasses.

Leo_one
France

Post by Leo_one » Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am

JB007 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:20 pm
Basically, there is no free dentist treatment or free glasses in the UK because a person is old. Elderly Brits have to pay for their own dentist treatment and glasses.
Thanks JB007 for brief reply. I thought because of old citizen she might have free treatment for dental and eye because dental surgery was asking me if she have pension credit or getting pension then she have right to claim free treatment and glasses also. Anyway i do really appreciate your reply. Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am

Leo_one wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am

Thanks JB007 for brief reply. I thought because of old citizen she might have free treatment for dental and eye because dental surgery was asking me if she have pension credit or getting pension then she have right to claim free treatment and glasses also. Anyway i do really appreciate your reply. Thanks
Sorry, no, not for the elderly. Brits use their pensions to pay for dentist treatrment and glasses. There are no free glasses, just a voucher towards the cost for those who are on welfare.

Your mother can't have Pension Credit (a Welfare payment) as her EU right to reside in the UK is based on her being continually finacially dependant on her EEA citizen sponsor. Pre settled status doesn't give access to UK benefits.

What she can have is free prescitions as she is over age 60, as she continues to have a right to reside in the UK while she is finacially dependant on you. In Wales and Scotland those with a right to reside of any age, get free prescritions under present rules.

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 am
Leo_one wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am

Sorry, no, not for the elderly. Brits use their pensions to pay for dentist treatrment and glasses. There are no free glasses, just a voucher towards the cost for those who are on welfare.

Your mother can't have Pension Credit (a Welfare payment) as her EU right to reside in the UK is based on her being continually finacially dependant on her EEA citizen sponsor. Pre settled status doesn't give access to UK benefits.

What she can have is free prescitions as she is over age 60, as she continues to have a right to reside in the UK while she is finacially dependant on you. In Wales and Scotland those with a right to reside of any age, get free prescritions under present rules.
Northern Ireland also offers free prescriptions regardless of age.