ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Naturalisation happened, PLEASE Help with next steps?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sc9

UK Naturalisation happened, PLEASE Help with next steps?

Post by sc9 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi,

UK Naturalisation certificate received after Oath, couple of days before we all went into Lockdown in March. Still to apply for passport.

I believe, we have to surrender Indian passport within 3 months. It looks difficult to surrender passport within 3 months period since Naturalisation. Indian Consular and Passport helpline isn't picking up due to covid-19.

would the timeline be extended to surrender? or

if there will be any penalty fee applicable for not surrendering the passport in the given time frame?

Is there any email or phone I need to call to confirm about it?

Could somebody guide us with next steps? Many Thanks!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: UK Naturalisation happened, PLEASE Help with next steps?

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Don't surrender your Indian passport before you have the British passport in hand. HMPO won't deliver a British passport if they don't see the foreign one!

It's a major anomaly in the British system I find that for a British passport, a foreign passport is a requirement.

sc9

Post by sc9 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:30 pm

I have found this on one of the websites which is not an official government web site.

Indian passports should be surrendered for cancellation within 3 years of acquiring foreign citizenship and the person can travel on the Indian passport only within 3 months of acquiring the foreign citizenship.

Could somebody confirm If I have 3 years to surrender Indian passport since March 2020 and meanwhile I can travel to India on a visa?

Siliconductor
Newly Registered

Post by Siliconductor » Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Im in the same situation. Thoughts on when the centers may reopen?

xebec
Australia

Post by xebec » Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 am

sc9 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi,

UK Naturalisation certificate received after Oath, couple of days before we all went into Lockdown in March. Still to apply for passport.

I believe, we have to surrender Indian passport within 3 months. It looks difficult to surrender passport within 3 months period since Naturalisation. Indian Consular and Passport helpline isn't picking up due to covid-19.

would the timeline be extended to surrender? or

if there will be any penalty fee applicable for not surrendering the passport in the given time frame?

Is there any email or phone I need to call to confirm about it?

Could somebody guide us with next steps? Many Thanks!
See this government publication from the Kinshasa consular section: https://eoi.gov.in/kinshasa/?0834?000

You can travel on the passport for three months after obtaining foreign citizenship. No penalty will apply.
You have up to three years to surrender the passport without penalty.

Tip: to seach Indian government sites to obtain authentic information from the Government of India add the following text "site:.gov.in" to your Google searches.