ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COVID-19 lost employment

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wen0511
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

COVID-19 lost employment

Post by wen0511 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I applied my EU1 form in September last year, was supposed to get my result by March but still haven't received anything yet. My temporary visa is due to expired in 29th of June and the EU Treaty Right said the result should be sent before that.

Me and my EU partner are receiving the Unemployment emergency payment at the moment and it seems like it will stop from June 8th. I will be back to work next week but my EU partner's employer still couldn't give an answer about when is the store going to reopen and if they are going to rehire her again. She is doing a part time course at the moment, and we are trying to find and secure a job at the moment as well.

However, if we couldn't find a job for her before my result was sent, does anyone have any advice or anything that we could do in that case?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MantisToboggan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: COVID-19 lost employment

Post by MantisToboggan » Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm

While free movement rights are only exercisable by EU citizen workers the definition of worker is flexible - if the EU citizen was working then they retain the status of worker for 6 months after losing employment sinking as they are seeking work.

So for the short term that shouldn't be a problem

wen0511
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by wen0511 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:36 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm
While free movement rights are only exercisable by EU citizen workers the definition of worker is flexible - if the EU citizen was working then they retain the status of worker for 6 months after losing employment sinking as they are seeking work.

So for the short term that shouldn't be a problem
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your respond! I’m just wasn’t sure if we should inform the DOJ about the situation now, as my EU partner’s employer still couldn’t make sure about the shop reopening. Do we need to sign up for any jobseeker etc for proof? Again thanks so much for this.

MantisToboggan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MantisToboggan » Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm

I'll have to read the Tarola case again, I'm not sure you have to be registered with Jobseekers or whether looking for work itself is enough.

But being on Jobseekers is evidence in of itself that a person is seeking work.

wen0511
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by wen0511 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:48 pm

MantisToboggan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm
I'll have to read the Tarola case again, I'm not sure you have to be registered with Jobseekers or whether looking for work itself is enough.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot! It’s just at this point COVID19 does affect a lot, and everything is kind of case by case now so we don’t want to mess up anything when the result is supposed to come out so soon

MantisToboggan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MantisToboggan » Fri May 29, 2020 10:40 pm

wen0511 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:48 pm
MantisToboggan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi there,

Thanks a lot! It’s just at this point COVID19 does affect a lot, and everything is kind of case by case now so we don’t want to mess up anything when the result is supposed to come out so soon
I looked at the FAQ that was put out and the impression I got was the Department were not going to use Covid as a reason to refuse to applications - but particularly renewals of non EU permissions and citizenship.

I wouldn't have much faith in the EUTR section getting things right to be honest - I'd say nothing for now and hopefully you're partners job situation resolves itself. If it doesn't then fall back on Tarola in any correspondence with them. My experience has been it can take a legal threat before common sense is applied with the EUTR section. I know the Department hired some lawyers last year so I'm guessing if legal threats come in they get escalated to those lawyers who then tell the EUTR section to cop on.

Capico
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Capico » Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 am

I hope this info will help.
It is written clearly on the link below that:

ISD will continue to send permission letters and temporary permission letters during this period.

If your EU citizen family member has lost their job because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this will not affect your immigration status

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... tml#lf29ab

People who lost job were asked to be laid off from their job
.so it is not your partner's fault.

wen0511
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by wen0511 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:15 am

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your time to reply and solving the questions for me, very appreciate that and it's been helpful!

For what we will do for now I think we will wait until my EU partner's job confirmed with her if they will rehire her or not, as for now she is still counted 'temporarily laid off' with the employer. If things don't turn out well we will inform DOJ about losing job and provided more documents, I think that's the best we can do for now.

If there's any updates will let everyone know, thanks again for your help!

wen0511
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by wen0511 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 am

Hi all,

So after two months, still no sign for my final decision and we have an update for my EU partner’s job and would love to have some help.

My partner got employed back by her company before the lockdown happened, the only thing is they only employ her back as part time at the moment and asking her to apply for the short time work support scheme.

Just wondering do we need to update DOJ about this regarding that I still have no sign for my final decision? And if so when do we need to tell them? By the time we send out application or when the application is approved?

Would appreciate for any help as we never wanted to get any social welfare before and with the situation now we are a bit confused..

Thanks in advance with all the help!