ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by ShellySA » Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 pm

It's a pleasure - blame it on the pressure to get it right after all the work that goes into getting the documents, it makes for high levels of anxiety. Next comes the self doubt that everything was, in fact done correctly - we have all been there 🤣

I received the wonderful news that my FBR has been approved today, and is waiting for me at the Embassy of Ireland in Pretoria. It must have been sent off right before lockdown.

Good luck everyone, holding thumbs that they start processing applications again soon.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Congrats!!!
Didnt know the FBR office is working. At least we feel a progress by now

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ShellySA » Tue May 12, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm not sure that they are processing again - in South Africa, all correspondence is received from our Embassy, and not directly from Dublin. It is very likely that it was sent back to SA before they stopped processing applications.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Department of foreign affairs is currently hiring for positions in Dublin (with a closing date of June 4)... hoping that’s a good sign of the FBR office returning in June....

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Sun May 17, 2020 2:14 pm

cdfly wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm
Department of foreign affairs is currently hiring for positions in Dublin (with a closing date of June 4)... hoping that’s a good sign of the FBR office returning in June....
Well the first stage of the Irish coronavirus reopening starts tomorrow May 18, so we'll see. If the office doesn't open tomorrow, the next stage of openings is on June 8th. In that second stage, public libraries will be open and businesses will be allowed to open with 'consideration for safety of staff', which seems to make it likely that government offices would return by that point.
Obviously, it's not just about whether it's safe to return to work, but also whether the passport office employees are needed elsewhere in the health emergency.
But we'll see!

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm

cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:14 pm
cdfly wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm
Well the first stage of the Irish coronavirus reopening starts tomorrow May 18, so we'll see. If the office doesn't open tomorrow, the next stage of openings is on June 8th. In that second stage, public libraries will be open and businesses will be allowed to open with 'consideration for safety of staff', which seems to make it likely that government offices would return by that point.
Obviously, it's not just about whether it's safe to return to work, but also whether the passport office employees are needed elsewhere in the health emergency.
But we'll see!
Crossing fingers and toes for either of those as my sister is due to give birth on August 23!

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ShellySA » Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm

There is a post on the Irish passport Service Twitter page about FBR's, maybe you can reply to that to find out about what can be done re getting her citizenship before the baby is born. @PassportIRL

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by cordatum » Thu May 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi everyone

Quick question -do we know what date the FBR office stopped processing applications? Trying to figure out how many months in I was if they received my application in May 2019.

Thanks!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu May 28, 2020 12:53 pm

cordatum wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Hi everyone

Quick question -do we know what date the FBR office stopped processing applications? Trying to figure out how many months in I was if they received my application in May 2019.

Thanks!
Exact date...no, but early to mid-March as I recall. I'm a June 2019 applicant . Maybe they'll complete mine later this year. Maybe

Lainyb1
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Lainyb1 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 am

Finally, I received the good news yesterday that I am now an Irish Citizen! I applied through the New Zealand consulate which re-opened last week.

Application received confirmation 15 July 2019
Received FBR 30 May 2020

I didn't receive an email checking my address so I was really shocked when it arrived! FBR is actually dated 12 Jan 2020 so it took a while to get here.

Now the long wait for a passport it would seem. :)

Good luck to all those still waiting. :)

ShellySA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ShellySA » Sun May 31, 2020 6:43 pm

Congratulations!

MattStuart
Newly Registered

Post by MattStuart » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 am

Hi everyone.

Been following this forum for a while now so I though it would share my application status with you all.

Email confirming that Foreign Birth Registration application was received: Tue, Apr 23, 2019

Still nothing back since then, I think it was very close to being processed before the department stopped processing the applications due to Covid 19. Hopefully they start up soon because we now have a baby on the way (due early Jan 2021) and really need to make sure he/she gets EU citizenship!

Does anyone have any idea when they will start processing again?

Fingers crossed.

mrtea99
Newly Registered

Post by mrtea99 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 pm

I received my FBR certificate last Saturday, it seems like it was all done and dusted but didn't quite make it into the post box before the lockdown started. Here's my timeline:

2019-03-29 - Online application submitted
2019-03-30 - Physical application sent by post from England to Balbriggan
2019-04-05 - Received email confirming documents received
2020-03-02 - Confirmation of address email
2020-03-05 - Address confirmed email - told 4-5 weeks for delivery
2020-03-13 - Application Approved email - told certificate had been posted
2020-03-13 - Added to FBR
2020-05-30 - Received certificate

Interestingly I didn't have to sign for the letter, it was just bent a little and put through my post box. Presumably Royal Mail aren't worrying too much about signatures given the current situation.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:24 pm

Congrats!!

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Congrats, you are very, very lucky!
re signature: due to covid, all postal services are urging us to authorise (release) signatures, hence why. one other reason might be due to home office which means maybe there is a personnel who sends them from his home (haha!) hence lack of attention to postal service?

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:26 pm

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/speec ... vid-19.php

Update from the Passport office - they will begin taking non-essential online applications from next week

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:44 am

Thanks for the update. Still hoping to get FBR certificate sometime in 2020.
(Application received July 1 2019.)

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:56 pm

BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:44 am
Hey BigDaddy100, great name! They confirmed receipt of my application on July 2nd 2019 so we are only a day apart. Let's hope it happens soon. Just found out the Mrs is pregnant as well. Oops.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:09 am

jamiepompey wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:56 pm
BigDaddy100 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:44 am
Hey BigDaddy100, great name! They confirmed receipt of my application on July 2nd 2019 so we are only a day apart. Let's hope it happens soon. Just found out the Mrs is pregnant as well. Oops.
Congratulations to you and family. :)
Here's hoping that you're added to the FBR before the young one arrives so they will be eligible as well. (I wish I'd done this years ago, before my daughter was born.)

BecomingIrishCitizen
Newly Registered

Post by BecomingIrishCitizen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:27 am

Hi everyone. I applied for Foreign Birth Registration in April 2019 from UK, which they received as I sent it to be recorded and signed, it was sent directly to the Irish Embassy in Dublin as instructed to do. I understand that due to COVID-19, everything is at a standstill but it has now been 14 months now. I have known many people to receive their FBR in less than 12m. I am getting frustrated that it is taking this long. It says phone lines are closed so I cannot even get hold of them. This is getting quite urgent now! Who else can I contact, preferably from the UK? Thanks in advance.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 am

BecomingIrishCitizen wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:27 am
Hi everyone. I applied for Foreign Birth Registration in April 2019 from UK, which they received as I sent it to be recorded and signed, it was sent directly to the Irish Embassy in Dublin as instructed to do. I understand that due to COVID-19, everything is at a standstill but it has now been 14 months now. I have known many people to receive their FBR in less than 12m. I am getting frustrated that it is taking this long. It says phone lines are closed so I cannot even get hold of them. This is getting quite urgent now! Who else can I contact, preferably from the UK? Thanks in advance.
Doesn't look like there's anything you can do until they re-open the service. Unfortunately the Covid situation is far more urgent right now. You must have been very close to actually being granted your citizenship, how frustrating. They have my marriage certificate and I need it for my wife's visa application in August so will have to see how the Home Office deal with that. I can order a copy of course but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to get my documents back.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Update from Irish gov:
"The Government has also confirmed that the phases set out in the Roadmap will be accelerated with phases 3, 4 and 5 being merged. Under the reconfiguration of the Roadmap, there are now just two remaining phases instead of three, with Phase 3 starting on 29 June, and Phase 4 on 20 July. The domestic travel restrictions (within Ireland) will be lifted from 29 June 2020."

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Another update on the DFA website, don't have much hope of getting my citizenship this year now with the probable second wave, if there isn't one i suspect they'll maybe start re-processing apps in August?

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered

Post by tomriddle2u » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Registering a foreign birth
At present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration it takes between 12 to 18 months to process a completed Foreign Birth Registration application.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

NIELK83
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by NIELK83 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am

NIELK83 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am
Hi,

I submitted my 2 kids FBR applications in June 2019 after a long wait to get outstanding documents in order.

FBR TIMELINE:
Online Applications submitted and paid for: 24 June 2019
Applications and Supporting Documents received by Irish Embassy in Pretoria (South Africa): 27 June 2019
Email from dfat.ie stating that applications and supporting documentation have been received: 16 July 2019

I'm hoping that I receive their FBR certificates by March 2020 (7 - 8 months from receipt in Ireland). Based on other forum user's experiences, the usual timeframe seems to be 12 months in total as many UK applicants' applications take a few months to actually get to Ireland (2-3 months out of the 12).

Hopefully have some good news in the coming months as the wait continues.
UPDATE:

FBR TIMELINE:

Online Applications submitted and paid for: 24 June 2019 (2x children)

Applications and Supporting Documents received by Irish Embassy in Pretoria (South Africa): 27 June 2019

Email from dfat.ie stating that applications and supporting documentation have been received: 16 July 2019

FBR CERTIFICATE ISSUED, READY FOR COLLECTION email received for one of my kids - 6 Feb 2020

I inquired as to why only one of my kid's FBR was approved on 11 Feb 2020, reason was that Dublin HQ selected my daughters application for a random audit - subsequently received FBR approval email on 3 March 2020

Then the global pandemic hit us.

Good news is that we finally received their FBR certificates via courier service today 26 June 2020.
My kids are now officially Irish citizens! We need to apply for their passports now.

So pandemic aside, the entire process took roughly 8/9 months for us.
Good luck to the rest of you. Thanks for the great insights on this forum.