ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation when partner gets BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

malvar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Philippines

Naturalisation when partner gets BC

Post by malvar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:40 am

Hi,

My husband and I currently have ILR from our Tier2 - General route. His application for citizenship has already been approved but ceremony was postponed because of the coronavirus.

Once he's able to take his ceremony, I can immediately apply for citizenship, right? Since I will be married to a british citizen by then. I won't have to wait for my 1 year eligibility in Nov 2020. (My ILR was granted in Nov2019, not been out of the country for more than 450 days in 5 years or 90 days in the year - coronavirus made sure of that)

Thanks!

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation when partner gets BC

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 am

Yes, you can apply as the spouse of a British citizen on or after the date of your spouse's citizenship ceremony. You'd need to meet the 3 year absence and physical presence requirements if you apply on that basis.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am

Once he's able to take his ceremony, I can immediately apply for citizenship, right?

Yes.
Since I will be married to a british citizen by then. I won't have to wait for my 1 year eligibility in Nov 2020. (My ILR was granted in Nov2019, not been out of the country for more than 450 days in 5 years or 90 days in the year - coronavirus made sure of that)
Correct. Note that as a spouse of British citizen, your application is made under Section 6(2) of the National Act, which is based on 3 years residence. The absence limits are less, i.e. no more than 270 days in the 3 years preceding date of citizenship application and then the same 90 days limit in the last 12 months. You also need to have been physically present in the UK exactly 3 years before the date you apply online.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

malvar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Philippines

Post by malvar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Got it! Thanks for pointing out the '3 year' clauses. Was going to calculate 5 years.