ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport - Next Steps

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cooloz
Newly Registered
India

British Passport - Next Steps

Post by cooloz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:00 am

Hi,

I wish to understand the next steps involved in obtaining the British passport for my kid.

My kid's position is:

1. He was born in UK in Sept 2015. At the time of birth, both parents were on T2G visa.

2. Father received his ILR in Aug 2019 and mum in Dec 2019 after completing the 5-year route in T2G category.

3. Kid applied for British citizenship in Mar 2020 and in June 2020 we received the 'Certificate of registration as a British Citizen' letter.

My questions:
1. Can he apply online for the British Passport straight away or is there any need to attend for any ceremony etc. I think not as he is 4 years old however need guidance.

2. The right time to apply for passport: Please note his current BRP (T2G dependent) expires in Sept 2020 (i believe that is irrelevant now) and passport in Dec 2020 (5 years duration for kids). Therefore when is the best time to apply or how much max I can wait given the covid situation and current government guidance not to apply for a passport if the travel in non-urgent.

3. His current nationality is India which doesn't allow dual citizenship. Therefore what is the way ahead in terms of surrendering the current Indian passport and getting the British one? whether I have to liaise with the Indian embassy separately for Indian passport surrender or British Passport issuance will take care of this aspect. Do I need to send the Indian passport as well with other documents physically or upload soft copies in some portal?

Please help me in getting these queries clarified.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport - Next Steps

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:11 am

1. You should check if HMPO has changed their advice about applying for passports unless it is an emergency. There is NO ceremony for children! You can apply for the child's passport at any time. You mention a letter has been received. Have you received the actual certificate of registration, which is proof of British citizenship and is separate to a letter?

2. Whenever. His tier 2 is irrelevant.

3. Please asked the surrender questions in the Other Countries sub forum further down the main page. These questions are not relevant in the British citizenship sub forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cooloz
Newly Registered
India

Post by cooloz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:54 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:11 am
1. You should check if HMPO has changed their advice about applying for passports unless it is an emergency. There is NO ceremony for children! You can apply for the child's passport at any time. You mention a letter has been received. Have you received the actual certificate of registration, which is proof of British citizenship and is separate to a letter?

I received 2 separate letters in the same envelope.
a. Covering letter: One which says "We are pleased to enclose a certificate of registration as a British Citizen" and advised to return the BRP within 5 days etc
b. Actual Certificate: The other is an actual certificate in a sort of hologram paper stating "Certificate of registration as a British citizen" with name, DOB, certificate no, reference no, date and section. the date in the certificate is different i.e. few days prior to the date in the above covering letter date.

There was no email approval received, just this letter arrived by royalmail post and postman dropped it through the letterbox hole i.e. no special delivery or courier.

Is this normal to receive this certificate in the post?

I presume ideally a couple of months prior to his passport expiry date?

3. Please asked the surrender questions in the Other Countries sub forum further down the main page. These questions are not relevant in the British citizenship sub forum.

Sure will ask there, Thanks for the guidance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 am

I received 2 separate letters in the same envelope.
a. Covering letter: One which says "We are pleased to enclose a certificate of registration as a British Citizen" and advised to return the BRP within 5 days etc
b. Actual Certificate: The other is an actual certificate in a sort of hologram paper stating "Certificate of registration as a British citizen" with name, DOB, certificate no, reference no, date and section. the date in the certificate is different i.e. few days prior to the date in the above covering letter date.

There was no email approval received, just this letter arrived by royalmail post and postman dropped it through the letterbox hole i.e. no special delivery or courier.

Is this normal to receive this certificate in the post?
Yes, it is normal. Why do you think it might not be??
I presume ideally a couple of months prior to his passport expiry date?
It makes no difference. Apply when you are able to based on HMPO guidance for new applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cooloz
Newly Registered
India

Post by cooloz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am

Actually I was confused between this letter, email approval or ceremony hence was not very clear of the process. Thanks for the clarification. On the timing front i believe it can be done anytime whenever its convenient as there in no restriction on stay etc - provided no travel is planned.