ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits and spouse visa!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

milolindo
Newly Registered

Claiming benefits and spouse visa!

Post by milolindo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am

Hi everyone,
I wonder if you can help me.
My wife is on spouse visa and due to apply for her ILR in January 2022.
Due to the given situation I was let go at work and made an application for UC as a single person as my wife is not allowed to apply for any benefits.
My question is, considering I was her sponsor will applying for UC impact her ILR?
My intention to go back to work ASAP and meet the threshold of £18600 before we can apply for her ILR.
In fact, she’s still working full time and earning £26k per year.
Can someone advise please?
Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Claiming benefits and spouse visa!

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:27 am

I think she might be able to use her own wage for ILR, wait for others to confirm. How many children have you got?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:47 am

milolindo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am
In fact, she’s still working full time and earning £26k per year.
Can someone advise please?
Thanks
Your wife's salary must be used in your claim, even if she cannot take public funds. Her salary and savings will reduce any amount you might be allowed. How many children have you got?

milolindo
Newly Registered

Post by milolindo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:47 am

Yes it has been used. I’ve applied as a single person but included her earnings As part of the questions.
I don’t have any Childerns now but expecting my first born in September.
My question is, will applying impact her application for ILR?
Indeed, she can use her earnings but not sure what would happen in a year as she’s due to go on maternity.
Can I still sponsor her when it comes to applying for ILR assuming i have a full time job and earning over £18,600..
Thank you all

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:52 am

JB007 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:47 am

How many children have you got?

As you don't have don't have any children: you might not get Universal Credit as your wife earns 26k. You cannot claim as a single person as that is benefit fraud. If you have worked for the previus two full tax years, look at perhaps claiming New Style Jobseekers as that is a contribution based and therefore will not use your wife's salary in the benefit calculation. You will still be required to show you are looking for work for that benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

If you claim New Style JSA and Universal Credit, the JSA payment willl deducted pound for pound from any Universal Credit benefit calculation.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:58 am

milolindo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:47 am
My question is, will applying impact her application for ILR?
Indeed, she can use her earnings but not sure what would happen in a year as she’s due to go on maternity.
Can I still sponsor her when it comes to applying for ILR assuming i have a full time job and earning over £18,600..
Thank you all
You might need to ask that on the family board, where your question will be seen. Your wife earns 26k, but I'm not sure how that will be calculated for her sponsorship.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:20 am

Adding that your wife being pregnant will not change any benefit calculation for you and 26k is likely too high to get any low income benefits (which Universal Credit is). Look to see if you can claim New Style Jobseeker's, (contribution based benefit for those who have worked) link above.