ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Application - Lack of CSI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

A700
Newly Registered

Citizenship Application - Lack of CSI

Post by A700 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am

Hello,

I would highly appreciate your detailed response and advice in regards to my case and whether I can still be eligible to apply for citizenship or not based on the new changes to the Citizenship Guidance.

- I am an EU citizen who has been living continuously in the UK since 2013.

- From 2013 - 2019 I was living in the capacity of (job seeker, self-sufficient, student without CSI).

- I have been granted settled status a year ago & I already passed the Life in the UK test.
- From 2019 till now I am Employed ( Low income)
- Didn’t claim any benefits or allowances during my residency also I don’t have any debts.
- NHS & GP letters about my health problems.

Should I apply now or after 4 years once I will have a full 5 years period of exercising treaty rights after granting SS?

Wondering if applying thru a marriage to a British Citizen in Dec could be a better idea to strengthen the application ? or it should be done after further 3 years? Will the HO be asking of exercising the treaty rights in the stated 3 years then?
- Also, I am very confused of the HO requirement to go thru the 10 years residency of the applicant. I know some ppls who got naturalized although they arrived to UK in 2014. Can you explain this please?

Thank you

A700
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Application - Lack of CSI

Post by A700 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm

Any reply please ?!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:17 pm

Should I apply now or after 4 years once I will have a full 5 years period of exercising treaty rights after granting Surinder Singh route?
Impossible to give advise as to what is better. The guidance update re. CSI came in on 14 May and at this stage there has been no report of anyone's application impacted.
Wondering if applying thru a marriage to a British Citizen in Dec could be a better idea to strengthen the application ? or it should be done after further 3 years? Will the HO be asking of exercising the treaty rights in the stated 3 years then?
Marriage to a Brit. citizen in itself does not strengthen the application, except you just provide details for three years rather than five years, and you can apply the day you receive your Settled Status/PR/ILR. All periods are from the application date back 3 or five years.
- Also, I am very confused of the HO requirement to go thru the 10 years residency of the applicant. I know some ppls who got naturalized although they arrived to UK in 2014. Can you explain this please?
Residency is normally five years. The requirement is to provide your employment details for 10 years or if less than 10 years since you arrived in the UK. Employment of course is not a pre-requisite for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Where does Surinder Sigh come in when you are a EU citizen? If you were married to someone exercising treaty rights, you shouldn't have needed CSI.

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

So If will apply thru marriage in DEC the HO will ignore the fact that I wasn’t exercising the treaty rights fully in the last 3 years before submitting my application? Am I right? Or they will just take into consideration that my life partner was exercising the treaty rights fully?

Could that period before granting my SS will impact the good character requirement based on the new update of HO in May 14th?

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:25 pm

vaza wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 pm
Where does Surinder Sigh come in when you are a EU citizen? If you were married to someone exercising treaty rights, you shouldn't have needed CSI.
Sorry for the unintended mistake. Meant to write after granting Settled Status.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:13 pm

There isn't enough feedback at the moment to tell.

If the fees are not a big issue for you, submit an application now. They will either accept it (reasonable chance I think), or they tell you no need to apply before X date.

Otherwise, put the application on ice and wait until more people come forward with their feedback.

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:16 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:13 pm
There isn't enough feedback at the moment to tell.

If the fees are not a big issue for you, submit an application now. They will either accept it (reasonable chance I think), or they tell you no need to apply before X date.

Otherwise, put the application on ice and wait until more people come forward with their feedback.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have just read this article in independent that HO has started to send some applicants requests to provide an evidence they had CSI during the required qualifying period:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 27036.html

SO maybe it would be a bit risky for me to apply now? And better to wait a bit until enough feedback as you said.
I am wondering also if the applicant has the right to submit again in the future if his current application was refused. Could that refusal go permanently to the good character requirement and consequently would impact on any chances to get future approval from HO?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am

Honestly, I don't like entering into a refusal cycle with the Home Office. If I feel it's not the perfect timing for an application, I prefer to wait until I get more visibility then apply.

For citizenship, it's depends how in hurry are you. If you need it some something specific, it may still worth the try. Worst case scenario, they decline and give you a date when you can apply again. Otherwise, it's better to wait.

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Many thanks for your response.

Although I am in rush to get it, but it will be really risky as its not the perfect moment to apply. However, it's still good in general that one can apply again in the future if got declined.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:25 pm

it's still good in general that one can apply again in the future if got declined.
That's right. If you don't meet the eligibility criteria, they refuse but they don't hold it against you. The refusal letter will even tell you when you can try again.

Consider also that in immigration forums, you are likely to see unsuccessful stories rather than successful ones (successful applicants have less tendency to come and ask questions). So it may give you a biased vision that would lead you to think that the refusal is systematic.

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:40 pm

I have noticed that in the forum but still lots of ppl get it based on tracking the application processing time forum . BTW is it true that 95% of applicants get it ? I have read this information in the past.

Thank you

Phenmeson
Newly Registered

Post by Phenmeson » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:10 pm

My wife applied for the child passport/citizenship on January 2020. She applied for PR Jan 2019 and got her PR approved March 2019 but her 5yrs continous stay in UK was due October 2018.child was born in Jan 2019, child application was done based on 5yrs EU Treaty rights. Application pending now due to CSI bcos she got employed almost 4 months after arrival in the UK. Some Citizenship applications are now pending due to CSI requirements.

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Phenmeson wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:10 pm
My wife applied for the child passport/citizenship on January 2020. She applied for PR Jan 2019 and got her PR approved March 2019 but her 5yrs continous stay in UK was due October 2018.child was born in Jan 2019, child application was done based on 5yrs EU Treaty rights. Application pending now due to CSI bcos she got employed almost 4 months after arrival in the UK. Some Citizenship applications are now pending due to CSI requirements.
Thanks for sharing your case. Let's keep fingers crossed to get this unfair rule changed or scrapped soon. I have written to my MP a letter in an efforts to ask him to write to Home Secretary to complain about this sudden, unexpected and very unfair rule from the goverment. Lots of EU citizens are contacting their local MPs currently for the very same reason as above .

Phenmeson
Newly Registered

Post by Phenmeson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 pm

A700 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm
Phenmeson wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:10 pm
Thanks for sharing your case. Let's keep fingers crossed to get this unfair rule changed or scrapped soon. I have written to my MP a letter in an efforts to ask him to write to Home Secretary to complain about this sudden, unexpected and very unfair rule from the goverment. Lots of EU citizens are contacting their local MPs currently for the very same reason as above .
I hope an agreement between EU AND UK government will be made. Especially for those who paid over £1200 to get naturalized. If CSI was mandatory, many applicants will be aware of before making an application. I try contacting my MP but was told his inbox is full. People are scared of getting refusal by HO and getting ban as a result of CSI

A700
Newly Registered

Post by A700 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:33 am

Morning,

Please send a letter by post to your MP. You should be able to find all the needed details for your local MP in google.
Also, it could be a good idea to follow the three million group on FB and Tweeter. The group represents our voice & rights so hopefully they will intensify the pressure on the Government to scrap the latest changes.

Phenmeson
Newly Registered

Post by Phenmeson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 pm

For those having pending application of British citizenship due to lack of CSI, you can submit your EHIC if you have any. With EHIC, I believe your application will be granted. Best of luck to you all