ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship application/ gap period

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

denisaric
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

citizenship application/ gap period

Post by denisaric » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:09 pm

hi guys
I am applying for citizenship thro naturalization in few weeks time, just wanted to ask about my gap few years back where i spent almost 2 month back home while waiting for my new green card to be issued.
In application says to provide all periods above 6 weeks per year spent abroad and detailed reasons why it happened.
what could i include in the explanation letter ? i thought ,copy of that green card , proof that i continued paying my rent for those two month and plane tickets. Neither did I or my employer know it could take that long to process the card. unfortunately. no i find myself in trouble because of this gap , anyone has similar experience .? cheers

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: citizenship application/ gap period

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:08 pm

I don't know much about citizenship in Ireland but there is something that bothers me here : I don't know what would be the effect of flashing a US Permanent Residence (Greencard) while applying for citizenship in Ireland.

Can it be argued that you are a US permanent resident keeping a footprint in Ireland for the sake of citizenship only?

denisaric
Mood:
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by denisaric » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:08 pm
I don't know much about citizenship in Ireland but there is something that bothers me here : I don't know what would be the effect of flashing a US Permanent Residence (Greencard) while applying for citizenship in Ireland.

Can it be argued that you are a US permanent resident keeping a footprint in Ireland for the sake of citizenship only?
Hi

this has nothing to do with US green card!

Irish Critical skills employment permit (formerly green card permit)

cheers

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:08 pm

The OP is talking about the Green Card Employment Permit (now known as Critical Skills Employment Permit, or CSEP), not the Green Card for United States.

As for the OP, you should really just wait for 2 extra months before applying for the citizenship, because the absence of a work permit is not really the state's fault. I would think that it is good for you to leave the country while waiting for the new permit to be issued, as that proves that you were not abusing or overstaying your permission. You can use the designated space in the application form to explain the reason you left the state, and also explicitly mention that you have waited for an extra 2 months before you make your application.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you @littlerr ! I was in the mindset that the OP travelled to the US to maintain a Greencard. Please disregard my previous posts then.