ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Dependent working allowance

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MPreston
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Tier 4 Dependent working allowance

Post by MPreston » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:49 pm

First time here, I've been reading some other threads and have been impressed with the responses. Looking forward to hearing from others.

My situation is, my wife is applying as a tier 4 General Main Applicant, and I will be applying as the dependent. We have been hosts on airbnb in the us for several years. We are looking at living in Fulham neighborhood and are hoping to get an apartment with an extra room in our apartment to put on Airbnb.

I understand, I think, that as a dependent I can be self employed and I want to make sure that it would be legal for me to be an airbnb host,I know my wife can't be the host who is earning on paper.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Tier 4 Dependent working allowance

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Do you still have faith in Airbnb in this post Covid world? :)

As a Tier 4 dependent you have more rights and flexibility than then main visa holder. You may work full time, study full time, be self-employed or even do nothing.

Check the law in the UK. You may need an HMO licence or something from the Council. In London, there are more restrictions such as the 90 night rule.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Dependent working allowance

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 am

MPreston wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:49 pm
I understand, I think, that as a dependent I can be self employed and I want to make sure that it would be legal for me to be an airbnb host,I know my wife can't be the host who is earning on paper.
The conditions of a PBS Dependant visa, including the very few restrictions on work, are listed in paragraph 319D(b) of the immigration rules. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

Your visa in itself has no condition preventing you from being an AirBNB host but, separate from immigration issues, if you are renting the property where you will be living, your lease is likely to have a prohibition on sub-letting. You should discuss this with the landlord or owner of the property. Of course, you would also need to meet AirBNB's own criteria for UK hosts, which I'm afraid I know nothing about but which I am sure you are investigating.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.