ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Polka909
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Polka909 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:56 pm

Reply I received from Barnet council:
Thank you for your email. We are aware that following the announcement by the Government, there is an intention to potentially enable small ceremonies from the 1st June, however this will be conditional on other factors being met. At this time, the guidance provided to us from the General Register Office has not changed. Services at the Town Hall will return at an appropriate time that ensures customer and staff safety is achieved, which is of paramount importance to us. This may mean we are not able to facilitate all requests immediately when we are able to open to the public and we appreciate your understanding at this time. Due to the many and varied measures that need to be put in place, at present we are unable to provide a date for when ceremonies will resume.

Once we are able to hold postponed ceremonies safely, we will make contact with you to advise of this. We will of course follow the national guidance as it is released and updated, and we will keep our website as up to date as possible.

I do think that it’s time they open the ceremonies at least private ones if not virtual. Because the government has clearly allowed non-essential shops to open from 15th June. Don’t understand how people can be allowed to shop but not complete essential registrar services. Councils are just being lazy.

ummalido
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ummalido » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 pm

From Surrey County Council, dated yesterday:

"Presently we are still waiting for directives from the Government and clearance from the Home Office before we can resume citizenship ceremonies. To date we haven't had any further updates."

pimlicollb31
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by pimlicollb31 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 pm

Polka909 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:56 pm
Thank you for your email. We are aware that following the announcement by the Government, there is an intention to potentially enable small ceremonies from the 1st June, however this will be conditional on other factors being met. At this time, the guidance provided to us from the General Register Office has not changed. Services at the Town Hall will return at an appropriate time that ensures customer and staff safety is achieved, which is of paramount importance to us. This may mean we are not able to facilitate all requests immediately when we are able to open to the public and we appreciate your understanding at this time. Due to the many and varied measures that need to be put in place, at present we are unable to provide a date for when ceremonies will resume.

Once we are able to hold postponed ceremonies safely, we will make contact with you to advise of this. We will of course follow the national guidance as it is released and updated, and we will keep our website as up to date as possible.

I do think that it’s time they open the ceremonies at least private ones if not virtual. Because the government has clearly allowed non-essential shops to open from 15th June. Don’t understand how people can be allowed to shop but not complete essential registrar services. Councils are just being lazy.

Yes it’s getting ridiculous and unjustified quite frankly. Yes citizenship is a privilege but at the end of the day it is essential for many people at this point when waiting for our certificates. It has a huge impact on our lives just to be left in limbo like that. I find is insulting that they just take their time with this as if our livelihood and the meaning something important like naturalisation has for us count for nothing and now be put at the back of the queue.

Registrars services should be the first to resume as it impacts some of the most fundamental rights of people, such as birth, naturalisation, marriage. Pubs and non essential businesses can wait really. It is even more unacceptable that we received no news whatsoever since the beginning of the lockdown, no news whatsoever about when ceremonies will resume even tho now most things are reopening.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am

pimlicollb31 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:44 pm
Polka909 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:56 pm

Yes it’s getting ridiculous and unjustified quite frankly. Yes citizenship is a privilege but at the end of the day it is essential for many people at this point when waiting for our certificates. It has a huge impact on our lives just to be left in limbo like that. I find is insulting that they just take their time with this as if our livelihood and the meaning something important like naturalisation has for us count for nothing and now be put at the back of the queue.

Registrars services should be the first to resume as it impacts some of the most fundamental rights of people, such as birth, naturalisation, marriage. Pubs and non essential businesses can wait really. It is even more unacceptable that we received no news whatsoever since the beginning of the lockdown, no news whatsoever about when ceremonies will resume even tho now most things are reopening.
I am not sure why the government is not publishing any updates till the moment! Every time I call my council, the answer is " We don't know". So, who should know?

By suspending the service till moment, they are basically building a very long queue that will be very difficult to be cleared. I understand the ceremonies was not that essential during March-May, but with easing the restrictions, HO could easily reintroduce at least private ceremonies which will comply with social distancing!!

Definitely, that delay is impacting on people lives. I would encourage everybody who is awaiting their ceremonies to send an email to furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
If people are not raising concerns, HO will not realize that there is any! Good luck everybody.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am

rozearo wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am
Definitely, that delay is impacting on people lives.
pimlicollb31 wrote:
It has a huge impact on our lives just to be left in limbo like that.
I don't think the Home Office sees it this way.

Applicants for naturalisation already have ILR, which means that they have most of the rights of British citizens within the UK. So can you elaborate on what huge impact would naturalisation being delayed by a few months have on your lives?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

silverocks
Bangladesh

Post by silverocks » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am
rozearo wrote:
pimlicollb31 wrote:

Applicants for naturalisation already have ILR, which means that they have most of the rights of British citizens within the UK. So can you elaborate on what huge impact would naturalisation being delayed by a few months have on your lives?
@ secret.simon, I have to compliment you for this comment, I like the way you hit on the head as always. Your comments are always to the point and knowledgable.

Specially I can't thank you all enough what you do in this forum and this for all the moderators.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm

secret.simon wrote:
rozearo wrote:
pimlicollb31 wrote:

We complaint about lack of update mainly plus the delay of completing the citizenship process when you see that there is an update about opening the pub but no mention of restoring such an important services. No single mature would tell that pubs are more important than such an important event (registration and citizenship ceremonies).

I don’t mind being delayed, but what I am concerned about, and I’m sure many are, the lack of information and ambiguous situation.

All we ask for is an update, when service is going to be restarted. You can argue as you wish that this has no impact on people live, but you see things only from your angle.

People are risking their lives every day with that COVID 19 virus and they would like their families to secure their citizenship just in case if they pass away, they don’t need to worry about their kids. You might not understand what others concerns when you actually don’t face it. But please try to put yourself in people shoes.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm

I found this resource from June 9, where Valerie Vaz, Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department:
  • How many citizenship ceremonies have been cancelled as a result of the covid-19 outbreak?
  • How many people are waiting for citizenship ceremonies?
  • What plans does she have to extend the three month period for people who have been issued with letters confirming citizenship ceremonies?
  • Will she make a statement?
She was responded by Kevin Foster, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department, the following:

"Following Government guidelines and social distancing measures, normal arrangements for citizenship ceremonies have been suspended at present. The volume of individuals awaiting citizenship ceremonies is a matter for Local Authorities and figures are not recorded centrally by the Home Office.

The time allowed for people to arrange a citizenship ceremony has already been extended to 6 months. Local Authorities are currently liaising with applicants and exploring alternative options to resume ceremonies"

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you, @Lopand, for the excellent spot.
Lopand wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm
She was responded by Kevin Foster, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department, the following:

"Following Government guidelines and social distancing measures, normal arrangements for citizenship ceremonies have been suspended at present. The volume of individuals awaiting citizenship ceremonies is a matter for Local Authorities and figures are not recorded centrally by the Home Office.
This is of course a completely foreseen impact of the Freedom Of Information Act, which requires the government to disclose all written records of specific requests, unless exempted under very specific measures.

The simple way around that rule is; don't create any written records!!! That will make history poorer (as there will be much less written documentation of how and when government decisions were taken), but gets the government off the hook for FoI purposes (it can't release records that it does not have).
rozearo wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm
please try to put yourself in people shoes.
I thank you for your advice and am so in agreement with it that I suggest that you take it yourself. Put yourself in the Home Office and government's shoes (indeed, as an aside, I always say that for your application to succeed, think as a Home Office caseworker, who is not hostile to you, but indifferent. You are another stat to them. Think like them, not like a migrant). Look at the larger picture, not just your own circumstance.

Let's look at it objectively and dispassionately (passion is the enemy of reason).

Adults and children born outside the UK applying for naturalisation/registration already have ILR (which already has most of the rights of British citizens within the UK) before applying. Therefore they are not negatively impacted by a delay if they remain in the UK.

Children born in the UK have an autonomous right to apply for British citizenship after 10 years of continuous residence (5 years in some cases) anyway. So their rights are also relatively secure.

So you can see that the children are mostly provided for in either circumstance.

The only people who I think would be impacted negatively are people on ILR who are due to have children born to them abroad and who were expecting to be British citizens before the child's birth (thus making the child a British citizen by descent). But relativel to the larger society, the number of such applicants is miniscule (numbering at most in the hundreds, but likely in the tens).

The only other set of people that it would likely impact is people who are looking to travel on their British passports soon. But given the exceptional circumstances (as mentioned in another thread) of this year, global travel is likely to be much lower on most people's priorities and certainly on the Home Office's.
rozearo wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm
No single mature would tell that pubs are more important than such an important event (registration and citizenship ceremonies).
Again, put yourself in the government's shoes.

Pubs being shut impacts the economy far more than you think. Pubs are shutting down at an alarming rate for the government anyway (I think there was a recent statistic that about 52 pubs were closing a week in 2019, so before the pandemic) and pubs are a major source of employment and services, especially in rural areas, where the pub is also likely to be the local store and sub-post-office. So the government is hit by a double whammy of both losing out on VAT (from the sale of food, drinks and other products) and paying unemployment benefits to those who have lost their jobs when the pubs shut down.

By contrast, applicants for naturalisation and registration have already paid their fees, the number of applicants is far smaller than those employed by the pubs and the most impact that it would have for most applicants is that they get to apply for their passports after a longer period of time, which given the dire travel situations of the day, likely does not matter that much.

So, in the grand scheme of things, you can see why the government would prioritise pubs over registration and naturalisation ceremonies.
silverocks wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm
Your comments are always to the point and knowledgable.
Thank you for your compliment, @silverocks. I am flattered and flummoxed by it, as it is not usual to be complimented on these forums, especially when one takes a critical and analytical approach.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ukcitizenapp
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Ukcitizenapp » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Hello everyone.

Can someone answer this. Citizenship certificates have been extended 6 months. Does this mean someone sent a letter on 13 January has to have ceremony by 13 July?

Ceremony was booked for 8 April (there were circumstances why it wasn't sooner). Anyway the ceremony was going to take place within 3 months. If ceremonies are not back by the 13 July what is the situation?

Thanks

Worried spouse.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Ukcitizenapp wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:29 pm
If ceremonies are not back by the 13 July what is the situation?
Have you checked with the local council? If so, what have they counselled?

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks Secret.simon for your explanation, but it looks like you are trying not to answer the main question which is about lack of update, not the actual delay. We all understand the delay and we accept it. What we are asking about is an update! It is easy and simple. Just publish an update, nothing else! Simple like the one posted by Lopand. Thanks Lopand (Y)
Lopand wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm
I found this resource from June 9, where Valerie Vaz, Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department:
  • How many citizenship ceremonies have been cancelled as a result of the covid-19 outbreak?
  • How many people are waiting for citizenship ceremonies?
  • What plans does she have to extend the three month period for people who have been issued with letters confirming citizenship ceremonies?
  • Will she make a statement?

The time allowed for people to arrange a citizenship ceremony has already been extended to 6 months. Local Authorities are currently liaising with applicants and exploring alternative options to resume ceremonies"

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:18 pm

secret.simon wrote:
rozearo wrote:
pimlicollb31 wrote:

Surely the impact is so much less than for those that are still waiting for the outcome of their application for months or maybe a year

malvar
Newly Registered
Mood:
Philippines

Post by malvar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi,

Just want to update everyone that my partner had his citizenship ceremony this morning. Background is we booked a private ceremony last April - then Covid19 hit so we just had to wait.

Then we asked our council, Ealing, a week ago when they will resume their activities referencing our previously booked private ceremony. They then replied that they have limited slots per day due to social distancing measures. For today, they had just 4.

So ,really, it's up to the local council to restart its services. I get the impression that they prioritised other services first which are deemed more essential.

Goodluck to those who are still waiting.

Stefan Piatek
Poland

Post by Stefan Piatek » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Scotland easing lockdown. 2nd phase (probably from 18/06/2020):
https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronav ... ge-2879462
[...]Registration offices will open for high priority tasks and places of worship will be able to open for private prayer, with physical distancing and hygiene safeguards.
Marriages, civil partnerships and other types of ceremonies will also be allowed to take place with a limited number of attendees.[...]

I hope that citizenship ceremonies are these "other types of ceremonies"

Pan13

Post by Pan13 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Ceremonies fall in line with school category as people meet with others from different households. My guess is when schools fully reopen it is where ceremonies will resume. At the present moment there is no plans to open schools even in September, while is good to have a hope dont hold your breath for the next 3 months.

beaujam90
- thin ice -

Post by beaujam90 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Pan13 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm
Ceremonies fall in line with school category as people meet with others from different households. My guess is when schools fully reopen it is where ceremonies will resume. At the present moment there is no plans to open schools even in September, while is good to have a hope dont hold your breath for the next 3 months.
As for schools lessons, the oath ceremony can be done via Skype or WhatsApp .
Uk MPs are meeting online.
The Canadian citizenship ceremony is done online now.

GoldenS
Newly Registered

Post by GoldenS » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:55 am

I must say I salute the HO for sending decisions by email to ease people minds.

I hope they take the next simple reasonable step soon by either resuming one on one private ceremonies which can be done with all the safety measures needed easily or even better automate the whole process by sending ceremony letters by email then attend the ceremony via a video call.

Hopefully our long difficult and unnecessary wait, stress and anxiety will be over soon and we all can live our lives without having this matter constantly occupying a space in our minds

beaujam90
- thin ice -

Post by beaujam90 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:43 am

A ceremony by video conference would be ideal

Mayo101
Newly Registered

Post by Mayo101 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

I applied for citizenship in october 2019, no response for 7 months and i thought it would now take forever due to covid. However last month my application was successful but now a never ending wait for ceremonies to resume :(

SidiBou
Mood:

Post by SidiBou » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm

I wanted to share a good news with all. I received an email from my local register office notifying me that private ceremonies are available M-F, cost of a £100. I think that's promessing.
The only thing is my wife did not receive the document from home office yet other than a reply to my email 2 weeks ago stating "Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased." with that said I'm sensing a disconnect between home office and local authorities.

tcell88
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by tcell88 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm

SidiBou wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm
I wanted to share a good news with all. I received an email from my local register office notifying me that private ceremonies are available M-F, cost of a £100. I think that's promessing.
The only thing is my wife did not receive the document from home office yet other than a reply to my email 2 weeks ago stating "Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased." with that said I'm sensing a disconnect between home office and local authorities.
Which council is this?

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:56 pm

The HO didn’t send any communication to local councils since March. Hopefully, with easing restriction, there should be guidance and communication with local councils. Also, individuals are waiting for their Citizenship letters to arrive.

SidiBou
Mood:

Post by SidiBou » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:42 pm

tcell88 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm
SidiBou wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:57 pm
Which council is this?
Luton

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 am

Just a quick question
When the ceremony start back do we need to pay 80 pounds for group ceremony? Or it’s included in British naturalisation application? We paid £1349.20
Thanks 🙏