ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time job payment in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Saliabara
Newly Registered
Syria

First time job payment in Ireland

Post by Saliabara » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I applied for work as a first time work in Ireland

The Resturant told me, because it's my first time to work in Ireland i should get paid less than the minimum average

Anyone knows anything about this?

Thank you in advance

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Re: First time job payment in Ireland

Post by zaza7625 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:42 pm

No, the employer is obliged to pay you at least a minimum whatever is assigned . But sometimes it happens so that they pay less then minimum. It is not lawfull.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Under no circumstances should the employer pay you less than minimum. That is unlawful. Even with the minimum wage itself it is quite difficult to live in places like Dublin.

griffith
Mood:
Ireland

Post by griffith » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:26 pm

The employer may have said this for a reason.
Hourly rate depends on your age.

You should check this link for more information.
Hope it helps.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/e ... _wage.html
Stay strong & never Give up!

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:55 am

There was possibly miscommunication as well. Employer might tell you that you will be on emergency tax first week because you can't manage to register with revenue on time. If it is the case you can receive those money back in end of year.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pens ... index.aspx

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 am

Stanina wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:55 am
There was possibly miscommunication as well. Employer might tell you that you will be on emergency tax first week because you can't manage to register with revenue on time. If it is the case you can receive those money back in end of year.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pens ... index.aspx
It is some sort of ‘standard’ or ‘conventionalised’ process for certain takeaways/restaurants. When I applied for my first part-time job here in a pizza takeaway, I was told the exact same thing - they reduce half of the salary for the first two weeks because they need to ‘train’ me. They reduce another half because they need to provide equipment etc. They didn’t even pretend to want to pay any tax, as no one has ever asked me for a PPSN at any stage.
I was then told by a second restaurant that they only pay tax for full-time employees, which is again bs. I walked away from these employers because I understood what’s right. However, when you are a newcomer, you are more likely to be deceived.

Even right now when I open a popular local chat group, there are a number of restaurant recruitment ads that says ‘no pay for the first week’, some of these right in the Dublin city centre.

The OP should clarify with the restaurant what they actually mean. Emergency tax is possible but less unlikely than those ‘conventionalised’ way of trying to deceive newcomers and pay them less.

Saliabara
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by Saliabara » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am

Unfortunately he just wanted to use me, they don't have that good reputation where I live but that's all the opertunities for now, he wanted me to sign a year contract and to pay me 7.50~8.50 because it's my first job in Ireland As am not European, I knew that he zaying nonsense and kind of he want to make me a slave

Am 25 years