ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion on CSI and Settled Status. Big issues for people on the EEA-Applications Routes

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cost Manager

Re: General discussion on CSI and Settled Status. Big issues for people on the EEA-Applications Routes

Post by Cost Manager » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:56 am

I am in the same situation. I starter to fill online application form. I have chosen the divorced box and havent got any questions about my ex wife sponsor.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: General discussion on CSI and Settled Status. Big issues for people on the EEA-Applications Routes

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:08 am

askmeplz82 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 am
I am worried. in the application form it's still asking for applicant employment not EU sponsor. is it seperate document you upload ? i don't have anything from my ex so i don't know what to do
The naturalisation application is personal to you so you will have to provide details relating to yourself only.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Xmz12x
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by Xmz12x » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:44 am

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share with you that today I have received an email saying my naturalisation application was successful. I've applied on the 3rd February 2020. I wanted to let you know that I was a full time student throughout the last 6 years. I had absolutely no idea about the CSI so I never had one and I was getting quite worried, but I wanted to reassure you that if you have applied before the new guidelines, I believe you shouldn't have any problems regarding to this. I wish you all good luck! :)

Bebu2019
Newly Registered
France

Post by Bebu2019 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to reassure some of you as well. My application has been successful despite me applying with Settled Status and not providing any information whatsoever about CSI (not even sure I had that the whole time). I have been a student since 2013 and only worked part-time here and there... It is true that I have been married for 4 years and my husband is a naturalised citizen. But he was only naturalised last September so I'm not sure it had any bearing on the CSI requirement.

Don't despair!

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:17 pm

Can you please share the details about the timeline of your application

Naphtha
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by Naphtha » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:55 am

I was about to apply for BC when found about the requirement of proof of CSI :roll:

I read the new guidance but found it very confusing. I got a PR document las year. In your opinion will I require to show proof of CSI if I go via the PR route?

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Naphtha wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:55 am
I was about to apply for BC when found about the requirement of proof of CSI :roll:

I read the new guidance but found it very confusing. I got a PR document las year. In your opinion will I require to show proof of CSI if I go via the PR route?
To my understanding, the CSI is only required for the Settled Status route. You're fine.

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has been asked for CSI?
I haven’t heard anything yet from home Office after submitting my application on 24/02 and Biometrics on 18/03 without CSI.
Thanks

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:48 pm

U Aziz wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:01 pm
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has been asked for CSI?
I haven’t heard anything yet from home Office after submitting my application on 24/02 and Biometrics on 18/03 without CSI.
Thanks
Yes, they did.
Some people posted the letters they received from HO when they request additional documents to prove certain years where the applicant didn’t provide enough evidence.
It’s a generic letter mentioning csi to provide for all students and self sufficient applicants.
However I haven’t seen anyone yet receiving a particular request on csi.
Also I haven’t seen anyone posting their application had any problems when not having csi or even being refused.

So if that’s the case I really hope those you have would share their experiences.

Also it appears very random.
Some in the last weeks without csi (where needed) weren’t asked and only should provide more evidence of residence. Others got that generic letter listing csi.

We have also seen applicants being approved recently without csi.

That’s not to explain with the fact applying before the new guidance been published on 14th May, as HO claims it always has been a requirement.

However at this stage the whole issue is still very confusing and if someone has a pending application can only rely on luck as it seems when not having csi in the past.

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Many thanks for you reply!
Any idea what will be the alternative if you cannot provide CSI? I mean you have to spend another 5 years before getting approved or that will be the end of getting a citizenship.
Thanks

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 am

U Aziz wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Any idea what will be the alternative if you cannot provide CSI? I mean you have to spend another 5 years before getting approved or that will be the end of getting a citizenship.
Thanks
It should also be possible to rely on residence since being granted pre-settled or settled status without supporting evidence. The policy says that “once granted pre-settled status, [citizenship applicants] will not need to demonstrate that they were exercising a treaty right”. Compliance with the EEA Regulations is relevant to “residence prior to the grant of pre-settled status, or settled status”.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:11 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 am
U Aziz wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Thanks
It should also be possible to rely on residence since being granted pre-settled or settled status without supporting evidence. The policy says that “once granted pre-settled status, [citizenship applicants] will not need to demonstrate that they were exercising a treaty right”. Compliance with the EEA Regulations is relevant to “residence prior to the grant of pre-settled status, or settled status”.

So how long one should wait after getting settled status? Plz advise

cdyz5
Pakistan

Post by cdyz5 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi All I am applying for citizenship. I am holder of settled status Non-EU family member but i am confused to tick this option in application.

"If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy"

since last 5 years i am in job no gaps. apart from change of job once without breaking the employment gap.wife does not work she is house wife. i had CSI in year 2017 to 2018. kindly please help how to tackle this. do not want to wast £1,300 if its going to refuse.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:22 pm

cdyz5 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm
Hi All I am applying for citizenship. I am holder of settled status Non-EU family member but i am confused to tick this option in application.

"If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy"

since last 5 years i am in job no gaps. apart from change of job once without breaking the employment gap.wife does not work she is house wife. i had CSI in year 2017 to 2018. kindly please help how to tackle this. do not want to wast £1,300 if its going to refuse.
It seem CSI doesn't apply to you as you were not studying or not being self-sufficient.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

cdyz5
Pakistan

Post by cdyz5 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi alterhase58,
Thanks for the reply. appreciated for getting back quick. so in my case i just check the box and that it and provide the wage slips of last 5 years. as i do not have p60/p45 only nhs wage slips. I can ask nhs to give me a letter of confirmation that i was employee there?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 pm

cdyz5 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

If you’re referring to the boxes in the end before you submit, I remember you have to click them all to get to the next page. I’ve tried to leave some which didn’t apply to me blank but couldn’t.

Unless they changed the form now as they refer in the caseworkers guidance that people when they didn’t have had csi have to explain in a box why they didn’t.
This wasn’t the case when I filled out the form awhile ago and wondering if they changed it now.

cdyz5
Pakistan

Post by cdyz5 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Frou01 yes you are right this is the same page i am talking about even though i tick all and leave this un-tick it wont let me go to next page. I dont no if this is a design issue or they did it for a purpose. it is confused me too much.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 pm

cdyz5 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 pm
Hi Frou01 yes you are right this is the same page i am talking about even though i tick all and leave this un-tick it wont let me go to next page. I dont no if this is a design issue or they did it for a purpose. it is confused me too much.
Yes, then it’s the same like with mine.

I just find it weird that the guidance mentions a question and and additional box to explain why not having csi and that the applicant MUST explain it, but obviously can’t and has to click a box without having the chance to explain. It shouldn’t be like this.

But I guess you need to click them all to get further.

anoncanon
Newly Registered

Post by anoncanon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:34 pm

I applied in May 2019 (EU settled status + BC spouse), I had to wait more than a year to get the approval letter, but it finally came this week. I was very worried about the CSI issue. I'm a stay at home parent and never had it, but luckily nobody asked. Phew!

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Dear All,

Does having an EHIC for the initial two years of my qualifying period (QP) for naturalisation, accompanied by a cover letter stating that during this period I did not have an intention to stay in the UK indefinitely, count as valid CSI?

I had private health insurance for the last 3 years of my QP. So, I will then say that, as soon as I made up my mind to stay in the UK, I bought UK-based private health insurance.

If an EHIC does count as CSI, do you think that the HO might question my future intentions because of my declaration that I did not have these intentions in the past?

Thanks,

Fred

dogcat

Post by dogcat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Just out of curiosity - how are you going to prove it was not your intention to stay in the UK ? :D

On a serious note- the fact that you held EHIC/ was insured in your home country should suffice.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 am

freddiekeller wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 pm
Dear All,

Does having an EHIC for the initial two years of my qualifying period (QP) for naturalisation, accompanied by a cover letter stating that during this period I did not have an intention to stay in the UK indefinitely, count as valid CSI?

I had private health insurance for the last 3 years of my QP. So, I will then say that, as soon as I made up my mind to stay in the UK, I bought UK-based private health insurance.

If an EHIC does count as CSI, do you think that the HO might question my future intentions because of my declaration that I did not have these intentions in the past?

Thanks,

Fred
Fred, if you’ve had an EHIC card if your origin country means you had insurance there and should be fine.
You can contact your former insurance to hand you an E104 form that would cover the times.

However, didn’t you say you called Home Office and they said they won’t take csi into account for now or exercise discretion?

freddiekeller

Post by freddiekeller » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 am

Responding the user with "dog" in their username, HO explicitly state on their website that intention not to stay in the UK is provable by means of a declaration. They don't say anything about the validity of a retrospective declaration, but that is my best guess as to how they could approve the card

Responding to Frou01, indeed that is the case but I have discovered that I have an EHIC and given that the application form asks for it, I believe it could do less harm than good

To everybody, including Frou01 and the user with "dog" in their username, is an accompanying declaration regarding my intentions not necessary then? The HO guidance that unless the applicant declares that it is not their intention to stay in the UK for the long-term, the validity of an EHIC as CSI is null. However, it is my understanding that if an applicant produces private health insurance by the time their PR or naturalisation is submitted, then the applicant's intentions may very well have been to stay in the UK at the time of the application. The applicant's intentions (might be assumed??) to have been otherwise in the earlier part of the qualifying period when their EHIC was all they had

If anybody can help separate the wheat from the chaff regarding the above, I would be appreciative

Bw,

Martin

Miss A
Newly Registered

Post by Miss A » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:54 pm

I found a campaign going on twitter called bye bye to csi, which was set up by a group called the 3million. They urge every EU citizens to write to their MP to call on government to scrap the need of csi. I think it will make a significant impact if everyone could do this.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:29 pm

Miss A wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:54 pm
I found a campaign going on twitter called bye bye to csi, which was set up by a group called the 3million. They urge every EU citizens to write to their MP to call on government to scrap the need of csi. I think it will make a significant impact if everyone could do this.
Indeed and very good to bring attention to it.
They discuss that tomorrow in the House of Commons (next to many other topics regarding immigration).
So as it’s tomorrow please write TODAY to your MP to support tomorrow the bill (NC 36).
CSI will be discussed there.