ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Someone help me ik confused

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Imzero
Newly Registered

Someone help me ik confused

Post by Imzero » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi can someone help me. I was born on the UK. Currently I've worked for the same company for 9yrs. I'm contacted to 24hrs a week and earn around 12,000 or so a year. I know to sponser a spouse you need to earn 18,700. They told me at work I can do overtime and they'll give me 40+hrs a week which will put my income at around 19,000+.

My question is. Does overtime count when sponsering a spouse? Or is it only based on contracted hours?

Also if I started doing 40+hrs from today would I need to wait 6 months and show 6 months worth of payslips or 12months?

Also just another question. Just say I was paid £1450 a month and I spent all my money every month and that showed in bank statements. Would that be held against me when sponsering?

All help appreciated.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Someone help me ik confused

Post by geoeng » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Imzero wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 pm
Does overtime count when sponsering a spouse? Or is it only based on contracted hours?

Also if I started doing 40+hrs from today would I need to wait 6 months and show 6 months worth of payslips or 12months?
You can include overtime as "an annualised 6-month average for the overtime which will be added to the level of the gross annual salary". So you would add up the amount from overtime only over 6 months, double it, and add it to your contracted amount. Applying using Category A or B is based on length of time with current employer, so if you satisfy that aspect you can apply using 6 months payslips as soon as you are able to meet the income requirement using overtime (which sounds like it would be in about 6 months unless you're able to do even more overtime).
Imzero wrote:
Also just another question. Just say I was paid £1450 a month and I spent all my money every month and that showed in bank statements. Would that be held against me when sponsering?
No, how you spend your money or how much you spend doesn't matter, they are only interested in income.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm

The correct financial threshold is £18600 (assuming no additional dependant) instead £18700. And in addition of what geoeng has said, you can use your/your partner's six months old cash savings too (in excess of £16000) to cover the shortfall without doing & waiting further.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Imzero
Newly Registered

Post by Imzero » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:31 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:24 pm
Imzero wrote:
Does overtime count when sponsering a spouse? Or is it only based on contracted hours?

You can include overtime as "an annualised 6-month average for the overtime which will be added to the level of the gross annual salary". So you would add up the amount from overtime only over 6 months, double it, and add it to your contracted amount. Applying using Category A or B is based on length of time with current employer, so if you satisfy that aspect you can apply using 6 months payslips as soon as you are able to meet the income requirement using overtime (which sounds like it would be in about 6 months unless you're able to do even more overtime).
Imzero wrote:
No, how you spend your money or how much you spend doesn't matter, they are only interested in income.

Thank you for your reply. That went right over my head. Why would you double the amount of overtime? I wouldn't even be earning that.

Would I satisfy being with employee for 9yrs aspect?

Imzero
Newly Registered

Post by Imzero » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:33 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm
The correct financial threshold is £18600 (assuming no additional dependant) instead £18700. And in addition of what geoeng has said, you can use your/your partner's six months old cash savings too (in excess of £16000) to cover the shortfall without doing & waiting further.
No savings lol. Just a job I been stuck in since 2011 earning peanuts. So what happens if say 8 months down the line my overtime is removed does my spouse get removed from country after I already showed pay slips etc. Like do I need to keep showing every 6 months that I am still doing that overtime to sustain 18600?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:44 pm

does my spouse get removed from country after I already showed pay slips etc.
No.
Like do I need to keep showing every 6 months that I am still doing that overtime to sustain 18600?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Imzero wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:31 pm
. That went right over my head. Why would you double the amount of overtime? I wouldn't even be earning that.
Lets make it more decrypted. What geoeng has tried to say that none-salaried income including overtime/bonuses etc is counted after taking its annualized average with the following official formula and then resultant figure will be added back to the fixed wages (contractual/salaried income):

Total of the last six months none-salaried income (overtime) ×12/6 =
Imzero wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:31 pm
Would I satisfy being with employee for 9yrs aspect?
Yes because at least 6 months should have been spent with present employer under category A.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:29 am

^^ That. It is assumed that any overtime you earned over 6 months could continue to be earned over an entire year regardless of whether you actually end up earning it. You will need to show that you meet the financial requirement again when you have to apply for an extension to the spouse visa, so it's worth keeping that in mind when planning your employment over the next few years. That said, employment income your spouse earns working legally in the UK can also be used towards meeting the financial requirement for visa extensions, so that should hopefully make it a bit easier for you as well.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Imzero
Newly Registered

Post by Imzero » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for help so far guys.

Just another quick question for the newbie I am. What happens if in 3 months time I get a new job and it pays similar to this one where at 6 month point I'll have earned 9500 and would only need to show 6 months payslips, what happens if I change job though would I need to wait and show a full 12 months??

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:49 am

Imzero wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 am

Just another quick question for the newbie I am. What happens if in 3 months time I get a new job and it pays similar to this one where at 6 month point I'll have earned 9500 and would only need to show 6 months payslips, what happens if I change job though would I need to wait and show a full 12 months??
Meeting the requirements is not solely predicated on the amount earned but also on the assurance of having a job and income. The predictive or projective element that the job/employment and hence income will still be there in the near future. So the 6months minimum benchmark with an employer when using the paye route

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:36 am

Imzero wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:23 am

In that case either you will have to spend a further of 6 months with that employer unless you would have earned at least £18600 during the last 12 months with the job paying at least £18600 on the date of application to apply under category B.