ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Naturalisation after ILR as refugee

Post by Mass » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi everyone,
I hope somebody can help with my Problem as my head been all over the place nobody seems ro give the honest straight answers. 😢

I have been here since 2005 and over stayrd during the period of 2010 and 2014 until I applied for an asylum and lasy year got my ILR.
My Question is"do I have to wait 10 years to apply for citizenship" ?? 😢😢
Is there any discretions that can be applied?? I have a cleaned record/History just over staying seems to be the hurdle. Please advice.
Thanks a lot.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation after ILR as refugee

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:16 am

Please do not spam multiple forum topics with the same post!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mass » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:39 am

Mate dont call it a Spam
Its the level of stress that caused me to post a message on few different platforms so if somebody reads it and send an honest fair reply.
If you cant help/advice then dont be horrible either.
Thanks.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:26 am

Hi Mass,
I wrote a reply for you on General Discussion but i think its been deleted by the Moderators.

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mass » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi BoyTed,

Will you please send it again share your views. It will definitely help. Thanks

Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by 0971854 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi please do through the issue of good character. The ten years to be spent are recognised from the day you were granted a decision and not from the day you entered the country.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Mass wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:44 pm
Hi everyone,
I hope somebody can help with my Problem as my head been all over the place nobody seems ro give the honest straight answers. 😢

I have been here since 2005 and over stayrd during the period of 2010 and 2014 until I applied for an asylum and lasy year got my ILR.
My Question is"do I have to wait 10 years to apply for citizenship" ?? 😢😢
Is there any discretions that can be applied?? I have a cleaned record/History just over staying seems to be the hurdle. Please advice.
Thanks a lot.
Hello
I'm exactly in same situation &same year I got status &last year ILR.I can understand it very well how stressful this waiting period is.Some people here really have issues with refugees .This forum is about helping each other.If some people are so hostile same as HO to refugees or others then such people should look inside themselves to see where they stand in humanity .I think they stand in the lowest level.
If you haven't been working during 4 years of overstaying &you can prove that somebody was helping you then a discretion can be applied as there is a chance of it.But if HO knew that you have been working illegally then better you wait.In my case I was working &have overstayed as well hence I'm not applying as I know they would refuse.Please keep posting here your future experiences .Good luck.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:04 am

Mass wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 pm
Hi BoyTed,

Hello Mass,
Iam in the same boat as i overstayed from 2004 till 2012 when i was granted FLR and second extension and the in 2018 got ILR.
I had to wait till 2022 but got advised if the over staying is the only factor HO may Apply discretion anyways i applied December 2019 i got a questionnaire from Caseworker last mont asking me 8 questions check below the questions asked and was given two weeks to complete and send back which i did and sent back.
Hope this has been some help.

Information Requested

1.What steps did you take to regularise your stay during the period in question?

Please provide copies of any available correspondence

2.Where did you live during this period and who else lived there?
Please provide all addresses in full

3.Who was responsible for paying your accommodation costs (rent, utility bills etc)?

Please provide any available supporting evidence, eg utility bills, tenancy agreements, rent statements, mortgage statements etc

4.When and where did you work during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from employers, P60s/P45s, statements of account if self-employed

5.When and where did you study during this period?
Please provide evidence eg letters from colleges, certificates/qualifications

6.What benefits did you receive during this period?

Please provide evidence eg notification or award, schedules of payment

7.Did you receive funds from any other source during this period?

Please provide evidence, eg bank statements, receipts.  If supported by partner/family member, original evidence of their ability to fund such support will also be required

8.Is there any other information that you wish to provide that may be relevant to your application and the assessment of your ability to meet the good character requirement?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:37 am

I don't recommend applying for British Citizenship unless you have 10 full years of 100% clean and compliant immigration history.

If you apply before, 2 things may happen:

1 - They refuse you outright and you lose your application fees. You will be embarrassed in front of your referees when you need to tell them your application was refused because you are not a good character.

2 - They send you a questionnaire asking you to tell everything including the names of people who lived with you, gave you shelter, gave you work... You need to list everybody by name and address. If you lie on that form, you may expose yourself to a further 10 year ban for deception.

Recommendation: don't open the can of worms. Wait 10 years since last time you were illegal before applying.

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Apply for British citizenship

Post by Mass » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 am

Hi,

My Question is I sought asylum back in 2014 now its been 10 months since I got granted ILR based on Refugee. I over stayed between 2011 until 2014.
Can I apply for citizenship or HO will refuse my application based on character requirements?
Please help

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for British citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 am

Topics merged. Your question was already answered when you asked in June.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mass » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 pm

CR001
Thanks for your reply but you never answered my Question, seems like you are holding some sort of grudges against me😑 but as you seem to know a lot about the rules it will be much appreciated if you had a word to say or give you honest opinion as I only get one shot and I would like to yet it right.
Thanks.
CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 am
Topics merged. Your question was already answered when you asked in June.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Mass wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 pm
CR001
Thanks for your reply but you never answered my Question, seems like you are holding some sort of grudges against me😑 but as you seem to know a lot about the rules it will be much appreciated if you had a word to say or give you honest opinion as I only get one shot and I would like to yet it right.
Thanks.
CR001 wrote:
Topics merged. Your question was already answered when you asked in June. Have you rechecked/revisited the answer given previously in June?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:17 pm
Mass wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 pm
CR001
Thanks.
CR001 wrote:
Topics merged. Your question was already answered when you asked in June. Have you rechecked/revisited the answer given previously in June?

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Apply for British citizenship

Post by Mass » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 pm

I have tried to see the answers but I can't see any.
If anybody can see the answer that has been given to me back in june. Please share the link or copy/paste.
Appreciate everyone's help.
Thank you.

Mass
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Mass » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 pm

Hello BoyTes,

Hope you are well,

Have you had an outcome yet on your application for naturalisation??
Thanks.

Hi BoyTed,

[/quote]

Hello Mass,
Iam in the same boat as i overstayed from 2004 till 2012 when i was granted FLR and second extension and the in 2018 got ILR.
I had to wait till 2022 but got advised if the over staying is the only factor HO may Apply discretion anyways i applied December 2019 i got a questionnaire from Caseworker last mont asking me 8 questions check below the questions asked and was given two weeks to complete and send back which i did and sent back.
Hope this has been some help.

Information Requested

1.What steps did you take to regularise your stay during the period in question?

Please provide copies of any available correspondence

2.Where did you live during this period and who else lived there?
Please provide all addresses in full

3.Who was responsible for paying your accommodation costs (rent, utility bills etc)?

Please provide any available supporting evidence, eg utility bills, tenancy agreements, rent statements, mortgage statements etc

4.When and where did you work during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from employers, P60s/P45s, statements of account if self-employed

5.When and where did you study during this period?
Please provide evidence eg letters from colleges, certificates/qualifications

6.What benefits did you receive during this period?

Please provide evidence eg notification or award, schedules of payment

7.Did you receive funds from any other source during this period?

Please provide evidence, eg bank statements, receipts.  If supported by partner/family member, original evidence of their ability to fund such support will also be required

8.Is there any other information that you wish to provide that may be relevant to your application and the assessment of your ability to meet the good character requirement?

[/quote]