ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parent Visa Extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nara1309
Newly Registered

Parent Visa Extension

Post by Nara1309 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi

I am a British Citizen and my parents visited me (Visitor Visa) this year. Their visa expires on 5th July but unfortunately we have been told the flights are cancelled and we have been told to re book and it becomes difficult with current restrictions due to Covid 19.

I have checked in the home office website and can see that they can get an extension till 31st July by filling up an online application form, but looking at the situation where they need to travel, it is getting worsening every day and there are more restrictions around incoming travel into the country where they reside in. Also based on the statistics, they fall under highly vulnerable category due to their age factor.

Considering both of them are above 70 years, is there any visa that I can apply for them so that they can stay with me in the near future till the uncertainty on travel restrictions plus risks associated to travel due to their age is in control. Is there any visa I can apply for them so that they can stay with me longer here in UK? Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Regards

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Parent Visa Extension

Post by JB007 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Nara1309 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:19 pm
Their visa expires on 5th July but unfortunately we have been told the flights are cancelled and we have been told to re book and it becomes difficult with current restrictions due to Covid 19.
What country are your parents from? If you are from the same country as your wife, India, there are flights to get Indian citizens home.

Air India International Flights: For Indians stranded in Europe, Air India will operate special flights to India from June 15 to 30. The booking will begin today at 8 AM GMT (1.30 PM IST). This is under the third phase of Vande Bharat Mission. “Please note that the applicant should be registered with local Indian Embassy/High Commission,” the Air India tweeted.

https://www.india.com/business/air-indi ... y-4053722/
Last edited by JB007 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Hello

You can watch this page in case they add an extra delay:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents

But if they don't, there are no viable options to turn a visitor visa to something else from within the UK. Worst case scenario, if they overstay, it will be difficult / impossible for them to get visitor visas in the future. That's the administrative risk really.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:40 pm

India is getting their citizens home under their vande-bharat-mission.
https://www.gulf-times.com/story/666060 ... 7-000-home

Flying from London too.
https://www.mea.gov.in/vande-bharat-mis ... lights.htm

Nara1309
Newly Registered

Post by Nara1309 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks for your response. Certainly I have time to check through these options but considering their age and associated risk due to travel, my question was more towards the possibility of having any route for Visa Extension. It is question of life / death, hence exploring for options.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Nara1309 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:00 pm
Thanks for your response. Certainly I have time to check through these options but considering their age and associated risk due to travel, my question was more towards the possibility of having any route for Visa Extension. It is question of life / death, hence exploring for options.
The extension published by the Home Office doesn't go case per case or considers specific circumstances such as age and health.

Unless the UK Government or the WHO issue a statement recommending to elderly people not to travel, you won't have any option really.

If a mask is worn, a plane is less risky than a bus or your typical supermarket. But the choice is yours really. If you strongly take the view that they would risk their lives if they travel, keep them in the UK until it's safe for them to go. They are not going to send the police to deport them or anything. But you will be taking 2 risks:

1 - Most certainly, they won't be able to come back to the UK as they would have overstayed.

2 - If they get ill and need medical assistance then go the NHS, this may compound the situation and create another aggravation factor.

Nara1309
Newly Registered

Post by Nara1309 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Thank you, I would certainly not go in the over stay option. So if there is no other option, I will have to plan their travel prior to 31st July. Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.