ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:17 am

@Nikamo
As you made an application to remain the answer should have been yes. Don't think this is an issue but best to send a note to correct the error. Have you submitted already? Otherwise you could just upload this with your other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:38 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:17 am
@Nikamo
As you made an application to remain the answer should have been yes. Don't think this is an issue but best to send a note to correct the error. Have you submitted already? Otherwise you could just upload this with your other documents.
Thank you. I have submitted it already. Really a stupid mistake. I have sent a cover letter and will upload it with my documents as well.

Btw, is there a link to what documents are required, I understand what's required as follows as per document checklist:

Passport - ok
CSI copy - does not apply to me as I never been a student or self-sufficient in the UK
Evidence for my 5 year qualifying period - will P60s be enough?
English certificate - ok
Proof of nationality - what is required here? Is the passport not enough?
Proof of living in the UK for 5 years - is this in addition to the P60s? Like utility bills, mortgage statement etc?
2 x referee declarations - ok

Would be great if anyone could point to where I can clarify my 3 questions. Thank you so much!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Nikamo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:38 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
@Nikamo
Thank you. I have submitted it already. Really a stupid mistake. I have sent a cover letter and will upload it with my documents as well. ok

Btw, is there a link to what documents are required, I understand what's required as follows as per document checklist: There's no separate instruction what you need to provide - the document checklist is generated based on your circumstances

Passport - ok correct
CSI copy - does not apply to me as I never been a student or self-sufficient in the UK correct - not required
Evidence for my 5 year qualifying period - will P60s be enough? No - this is your Settled Status email or reference number. See below for P60s
English certificate - ok ok
Proof of nationality - what is required here? Is the passport not enough? this is your passport
Proof of living in the UK for 5 years - is this in addition to the P60s? Like utility bills, mortgage statement etc? P60s prove your residency
2 x referee declarations - ok ok

Would be great if anyone could point to where I can clarify my 3 questions. Thank you so much!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:37 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Nikamo wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
@Nikamo
Thank you. I have submitted it already. Really a stupid mistake. I have sent a cover letter and will upload it with my documents as well. ok

Btw, is there a link to what documents are required, I understand what's required as follows as per document checklist: There's no separate instruction what you need to provide - the document checklist is generated based on your circumstances

Passport - ok correct
CSI copy - does not apply to me as I never been a student or self-sufficient in the UK correct - not required
Evidence for my 5 year qualifying period - will P60s be enough? No - this is your Settled Status email or reference number. See below for P60s
Proof of nationality - what is required here? Is the passport not enough? this is your passport
Proof of living in the UK for 5 years - is this in addition to the P60s? Like utility bills, mortgage statement etc? P60s prove your residency

That's great - thank you! so much. Will complete all my uploads this week and then just need to wait until I can book an appointment. Scotland is a bit behind. Looks like appointments become available from 20/06 again. Fingers crossed! Thanks again!

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

Nikamo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:37 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Nikamo wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
@Nikamo

Passport - ok correct

That's great - thank you! so much. Will complete all my uploads this week and then just need to wait until I can book an appointment. Scotland is a bit behind. Looks like appointments become available from 20/06 again. Fingers crossed! Thanks again!
Actually surprised it is not that many documents (for my circumstances). But then again, I have never been through a naturalisation process.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Nikamo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm
Actually surprised it is not that many documents (for my circumstances). But then again, I have never been through a naturalisation process.
Just a thought - did you provide LITUK?

I did the paper application myself a few years ago. Apart from the 32 page (most of which didn't apply) form I only provided six documents so I wouldn't worry. The application is quite straightforward, in most cases. UKVI can and sometimes do ask for further details but that's their prerogative of course. Hope all goes well. Any further questions please come back.

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:02 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Nikamo wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm
Just a thought - did you provide LITUK?

I did the paper application myself a few years ago. Apart from the 32 page (most of which didn't apply) form I only provided six documents so I wouldn't worry. The application is quite straightforward, in most cases. UKVI can and sometimes do ask for further details but that's their prerogative of course. Hope all goes well. Any further questions please come back.
I did yes, I provided a link to the result in the online application.
That's good to know. I saw myself wading through tons of paperwork! I might provide my divorce papers (divorced in Germany while already living in the UK). I have them translated already for name change purposes back then. I assume they might ask about this!

Thanks again for your help!

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello.
I have applied online for british citizenship under the EU settlement status route.

I am in the process of uploading my documents and I am a little bit confused.
  • Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person, If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
Do I need to upload my P60's under this category? I have 6 years of continuous employment so no CSI needed.
  • Residence in the UK:
Do I need to upload council tax bills and bank statements that prove my addresses for the last 5 years? Is this where I upload the EU Settlement status outcome letter?

Thank in advance for your help.

sickmusic
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by sickmusic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:44 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:05 pm
Hello.
I have applied online for british citizenship under the EU settlement status route.

• Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person, If you spent some of that time in the UK as a student or as a self-sufficient person, and had comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), a copy of your sickness insurance policy
Do I need to upload my P60's under this category? I have 6 years of continuous employment so no CSI needed.
  • Residence in the UK:
Do I need to upload council tax bills and bank statements that prove my addresses for the last 5 years? Is this where I upload the EU Settlement status outcome letter?

Hi,

I recently applied for Citizenship and the application was approved the other day.

I only provided P60s for the qualifying period and they didn't ask for any further documents.

I didn't provide the Settled Status letter either, as I had provided the ref number and the date I was granted the status on the online form.

Hope this helps.

Cotton_tail
Newly Registered

Post by Cotton_tail » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi, I'm new here and have already learned so much about the citizenship process, however I could not find any answers to my queries. So I thought I'll ask.
Since COVID has messed everything up I was wondering if it is possible to get a referee declaration before completing, not submitting the application form. For example could I send out the forms to the referees and have them sign it a 2 weeks before the English exam? My husband had his English exam postponed by 4 months so we have just been waiting. The application would be submitted on the day of his exam. My second question is about employment letters to prove residency in the UK. Can these be written and dated before completing the application?(within a month) We would just like to prepare as much as we can.

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm

sickmusic wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:44 pm
londuk1 wrote:
Hello.

• Residence in the UK:

Hi,

I recently applied for Citizenship and the application was approved the other day.

I only provided P60s for the qualifying period and they didn't ask for any further documents.

I didn't provide the Settled Status letter either, as I had provided the ref number and the date I was granted the status on the online form.

Hope this helps.
Hi

Thank you for your reply.
I am surprised that you didn’t provide any other proof of address. I have Read in other posts that people provided with council tax bills and bank statements to prove where They were living.

I have one more question. Can I provide bills downloaded online As I have switched to paperless bills and statements for the Last 2 years? Will these be accepted as proof of address?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm
sickmusic wrote:
londuk1 wrote:
Hello.

• Residence in the UK:

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Hi

I am surprised that you didn’t provide any other proof of address. I have Read in other posts that people provided with council tax bills and bank statements to prove where They were living.

I have one more question. Can I provide bills downloaded online As I have switched to paperless bills and statements for the Last 2 years? Will these be accepted as proof of address?
P60 are sufficient which is proof of residence (as no stamps in passport), you are not asked to prove your address. so bills, statements, etc not required..

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm
londuk1 wrote:
sickmusic wrote:
londuk1 wrote:
Hello.

• Residence in the UK:

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Hi

P60 are sufficient which is proof of residence (as no stamps in passport), you are not asked to prove your address. so bills, statements, etc not required..
Ok good to know. Thank you

These are the documents I have uploaded

1) Passports: current valid one and cancelled that I used to travel within the qualifying period, With scanned pages where I have stamps
2) U.K. Degree
3) a pdf of the full travel history that I created on excel (it doesn’t allow me to upload the excel file)
4) National Identity card from my country
5) screenshot of the Life in the UK test result and code
6) p60’s for the last 5 years + the most recent payslip to prove I am still employed
7) signed referee forms
8) EU settlement status letter just to be sure

Will all these be enough?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:45 pm

londuk1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
londuk1 wrote:
sickmusic wrote:

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Hi

1) Passports: current valid one and cancelled that I used to travel within the qualifying period, With scanned pages where I have stamps
2) U.K. Degree
3) a pdf of the full travel history that I created on excel (it doesn’t allow me to upload the excel file)
6) p60’s for the last 5 years + the most recent payslip to prove I am still employed
7) signed referee forms

Would all these be enough?
All fine except
- only current passport needed (you don't need to prove your absences from the UK)
- National ID card not required

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:45 pm
londuk1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
londuk1 wrote:

Hi

2) U.K. Degree
7) signed referee forms

Would all these be enough?
All fine except
- only current passport needed (you don't need to prove your absences from the UK)
- National ID card not required
Ok great thank you for your help! :)

on_the_contrary
Newly Registered

Post by on_the_contrary » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while, it's super useful!

I'm applying for naturalization with the ILR under the EU Settlement scheme. However, my documents checklist says:
proof of Nationality. You must include your:
- passport or EEA national identity card
- UK permanent residence card
- evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions
You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship

this seems confusing, as I don't have a permanent residence card. Any ideas if it's ok to include the ILR reference number instead? Or am I filling a wrong form?

londuk1
Mood:
Greece

Post by londuk1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 pm

on_the_contrary wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm
Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while, it's super useful!

I'm applying for naturalization with the ILR under the EU Settlement scheme. However, my documents checklist says:
proof of Nationality. You must include your:
- passport or EEA national identity card
- UK permanent residence card
- evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions
You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship

this seems confusing, as I don't have a permanent residence card. Any ideas if it's ok to include the ILR reference number instead? Or am I filling a wrong form?
you just need to upload your passport and EU Settlement letter although they will be able to view your status with the reference code you need to fill in the application.

curious_man
Newly Registered

Post by curious_man » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to submit my Citizenship application in mid July. However due to Corona, my employment is sadly coming to an end on the 30th of June. I've been in the country for 12 years, studying and full time employment of 6 years, so I have fulfilled the qualifying period required. However if I have a two week or so unemployment stint before I submit my application could that be a problem? If so does anyone have suggestions how to overcome it?

Also, I don't know exact date I arrived 12 years ago, I only know the month. I might be able to dig deeper if I have to but is it important to know it down to the date?

Thanks,
Curious man

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm

curious_man wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to submit my Citizenship application in mid July. However due to Corona, my employment is sadly coming to an end on the 30th of June. I've been in the country for 12 years, studying and full time employment of 6 years, so I have fulfilled the qualifying period required. However if I have a two week or so unemployment stint before I submit my application could that be a problem? If so does anyone have suggestions how to overcome it?

Also, I don't know exact date I arrived 12 years ago, I only know the month. I might be able to dig deeper if I have to but is it important to know it down to the date?

Thanks,
Curious man
Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation, just declare periods of unemployment as applicable - you don't have to justify that.
Where dates are asked for and you don't have it precisely use the nearest estimate - month/year is ok.

Nikamo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Nikamo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Stupid question, when I upload my passport scan, do I have to scan ALL pages?

Thanks,
Monika

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Nikamo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 pm
Hi Everyone,

Stupid question, when I upload my passport scan, do I have to scan ALL pages?

Thanks,
Monika
A question that comes up regularly ....

Scan the biometrics and any stamped pages.
For a German passport I would also include pages 1+2 with the official entries (height, etc).

mike20
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by mike20 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation, just declare periods of unemployment as applicable - you don't have to justify that.
Where dates are asked for and you don't have it precisely use the nearest estimate - month/year is ok.
Doesn't this contradict the capacity which you're in the UK as (worker, self-sufficient, student, etc.)? Or for short period of times, it is considered to be okay?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm

mike20 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Doesn't this contradict the capacity which you're in the UK as (worker, self-sufficient, student, etc.)? Or for short period of times, it is considered to be okay?
Being in employment at present or in the past is not a mandatory requirement for citizenship.

Many who applied have been on dependent visas and never worked in the UK and had success.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shyamal017
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by shyamal017 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am

hi all
i am really confuse about one section in the application form..regarding previous immigration history..

Have you previously made any other UK immigration application in the UK or abroad? - Yes

Name in which you made the application - ?????

are they asking for name of the applicant or type of the application made previously..(tier-1 ,tier-2 ,tier 4 etc)

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 am

shyamal017 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am
hi all
i am really confuse about one section in the application form..regarding previous immigration history..

Have you previously made any other UK immigration application in the UK or abroad? - Yes

Name in which you made the application - ?????

are they asking for name of the applicant or type of the application made previously..(tier-1 ,tier-2 ,tier 4 etc)

thanks
Your name. Although you already appear to have applied in may based on your previous posts.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.