ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child first British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KenBossini
India

Child first British passport

Post by KenBossini » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I have ILR since last 3 years. My daughter was born in March 2020 in London. I just got her birth certificate done. I now need to apply for her passport. I know that the passport application services are currently very restricted due to Covid-19. However, can someone please advise if there are any other documents I need to apply for (apart from her birth certificate) to prove that she is a British Citizen before applying for her passport?

Thanks,
K.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child first British passport

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Your ilr brp card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Your ilr brp card.
Thanks CR001. Does it mean I have to physically send the ILR BRP card or is it an online application only where I attach a scanned copy of the card?

Regards,
K.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm

KenBossini wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:36 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Your ilr brp card.
Thanks CR001. Does it mean I have to physically send the ILR BRP card or is it an online application only where I attach a scanned copy of the card?

Regards,
K.
HMPO requires you to send original ILR BRP. Once you apply online, you will have to send them original documents as advised by the checklist provided by the online application.

Note: Do keep your original ILR BRP for child’s future sake as it is child’s proof of British Citizenship.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm

HMPO requires you to send original ILR BRP. Once you apply online, you will have to send them original documents as advised by the checklist provided by the online application.

Note: Do keep your original ILR BRP for child’s future sake as it is child’s proof of British Citizenship.
Thanks Cullinan. I would be grateful if you could help with a couple of more questions:

1. I had applied for my British Citizenship in Feb 2020, still awaiting response. If my British Citizenship is granted, won’t I have to return my ILR BRP to Home Office in a few days after receiving my citizenship certificate? In that case how can I keep my BRP in the future?

2. While passport services are currently closed (with a few exceptions), it seems the citizenship ceremonies are gradually starting. In these circumstances, it seems more likely that I will receive my citizenship certificate (and hence will have returned my ILR BRP) before I apply for my daughter’s passport. If this happens, what can I send in lieu of my ILR BRP for my daughter’s passport application?

Regards,
K.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm

KenBossini wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Thanks Cullinan. I would be grateful if you could help with a couple of more questions:

1. I had applied for my British Citizenship in Feb 2020, still awaiting response. If my British Citizenship is granted, won’t I have to return my ILR BRP to Home Office in a few days after receiving my citizenship certificate? In that case how can I keep my BRP in the future?

2. While passport services are currently closed (with a few exceptions), it seems the citizenship ceremonies are gradually starting. In these circumstances, it seems more likely that I will receive my citizenship certificate (and hence will have returned my ILR BRP) before I apply for my daughter’s passport. If this happens, what can I send in lieu of my ILR BRP for my daughter’s passport application?

Regards,
K.
You should not return your ILR BRP (even after naturalisation) and keep it since its your child’s proof of British Citizenship. Instead write a cover letter and explain.

https://www.immigrationboards.com/briti ... 00820.html

Read Vinny’s comment in the above thread.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm
KenBossini wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Regards,
K.
You should not return your ILR BRP (even after naturalisation) and keep it since its your child’s proof of British Citizenship. Instead write a cover letter and explain.

https://www.immigrationboards.com/briti ... 00820.html

Read Vinny’s comment in the above thread.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Regards,
K.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi,

For my child's passport, I have a couple of more questions and would be grateful if you could help.

The list of documents to be submitted mentions

1. 'the non-British passport they (one of the parents) had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain'

Is it necessary to send my current Indian passport? Or is sending my ILR BRP sufficient?

2. 'Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents:
a. full birth or adoption certificate
b. grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
And all of the following for both paternal grandparents:
a. full birth or adoption certificate
b. grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
'

I have none of the above grandparents' documents, and I do not think they are relevant in this application either, as I applying on the basis of my ILR. Should I write a cover letter to explain this?

Thanks,
K.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm

1. Brp card proving ilr.

2. Not required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm
1. Brp card proving ilr.

2. Not required.
Thank you.
K.

KenBossini
India

British passport application query

Post by KenBossini » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 am

Hi all,

I have recently acquired British citizenship and am in the process of applying for British passport. The online application asks me to submit :

1. naturalisation or registration certificate
2. the passport used to enter the UK
3. any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been
cancelled

I have 2 Indian passports. The recent one was issued Mid 2015 (a few months before the expiry of the previous passport). The previous one was cancelled when the new one wss issued. I have used both passports to enter the UK since I first arrived in 2010. Can you please advise if I need to submit only the recent or both passports for my application?

It may seem like a trivial question, but these passports are property on the Indian government and I do not want to send them unnecessarily to HMPO.

Thanks,
K.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 am

HMPO require current and expired passports whichever nationality you hold. If the old passport was cancelled (i.e. stamped as such, corners cut or similar) then it's not required. They will return all documents. It's the case with most passports, they are the property of the issuing authorities, HMPO will not mark or destroy them.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

KenBossini
India

Post by KenBossini » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 am
HMPO require current and expired passports whichever nationality you hold. If the old passport was cancelled (i.e. stamped as such, corners cut or similar) then it's not required. They will return all documents. It's the case with most passports, they are the property of the issuing authorities, HMPO will not mark or destroy them.
That's helpful. Thank you very much.

Regards,
K.