ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reg Naturalization and passport issues

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sirita975
Newly Registered
India

Reg Naturalization and passport issues

Post by Sirita975 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi

I have applied online for British citizenship. My Indian passport expires on 11th July 2020. Haven’t been able to book appointment UKVCAS yet. Pls advise what do I do?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Reg Naturalization and passport issues

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Your passport expiring is not an issue - it was valid when you applied online.
You will have seen many threads here regarding suspension of UKVCAS appointments and recent re-opening and catch-up. Unfortunately you'll have to wait until yours becomes available - I believe they are processing biometrics in order of application date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Sirita975
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sirita975 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

As the passport will expire, will I have any problems staying here ? Also, when I do get an appointment it will ask for a valid passport as one of the documents to be submitted. In that case, my passport would have expired by then. If you could pls advise what do I do?

Do I apply for a new passport but again then my current citizenship application will have the passport number which will expire in July. I am so confused now. Pls advise.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm

You have ILR so isn't an issue for staying here but travel will be impacted of course. I would always renew my passports as and when they near expiry. The appointment is for biometrics only, not for checking your documents. However, it's probably best you take your BRP as well as your expired passport with you as that is still valid, presumably. So don't see a problem - your application is valid.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Sirita975
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sirita975 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

Sorry to bother you with this question. Do you advise then that I should apply for a new passport now?

Or just keep my current passport until the UKVCAS appointment even if that will be after 11th July?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:28 am

As I said it's ok to take the passport even if expired to your appointment, also take your BRP just in case. Even if you were to apply for a new passport it might take months before you get it from your country's authorities as they are also trying to catch-up with the backlog. Your application as such is ok as your passport was valid at the application date.

Sirita975
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sirita975 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks a lot for all the advice.