ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS Surinder Singh CoA: long or short?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

florence_bubblegum
Newly Registered

EUSS Surinder Singh CoA: long or short?

Post by florence_bubblegum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I have recently received the certificate of application for my paper EUSS application (Surinder Singh route, spouse of a British citizen) and super confused about which CoA I got: long one (with the right to work) or short one (just the confirmation of submission)?
What does the long one have to say explicitly?

Also, CoA says that I can rely on any rights under EU law that I have, does it mean I can reside in the UK with CoA even if I don't have EEA family permit?

Would be grateful for any feedback!

secret.simon

Re: EU Settlement Scheme Surinder Singh CoA: long or short?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Does your CoA explicitly state that you have a right to work or does it only confirm receipt of the application?
Processes and procedures for EEA documentation applications wrote:(Page 27)

A certificate of application (COA) is a document confirming the holder has submitted an application for one of the following documents under the regulations:
• residence card
• derivative residence card

The COA does not confirm that the holder has a right of residence in the UK:
• a ‘short’ COA confirms receipt of the holder’s application - it does not confirm any right to work for the applicant
• a ‘long’ COA confirms receipt of the holder’s application and confirms the applicant’s ability to take employment in the UK whilst their application is outstanding
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

florence_bubblegum
Newly Registered

Re: EU Settlement Scheme Surinder Singh CoA: long or short?

Post by florence_bubblegum » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 pm

It basically says that I can "continue to rely on any rights I have as a family member of a qualifying British citizen". And there's also Note for Employers in the back that says that the person who applied MAY already have a right to work in the UK, and Non-EU family members can demonstrate with their biometric residence document.

It doesn't really say I have a right to work, more like "you can rely on your rights to work". What does it mean?
I am genuinely confused now, because I don't have a biometric residence in the UK. Hence, no work or...?