ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of Documents.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rothmans
Newly Registered

Return of Documents.

Post by rothmans » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi all,

FLR-FP granted (after appeal), but the home office said they can't return my passport because of social distancing rules!!!

Does anybody know what's going on, and why social distancing affecting the return of my passport? Is this considered common practice these days or it is just me?

I appreciate the help

Thank you

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Return of Documents.

Post by seagul » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:02 pm

rothmans wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:27 pm
Hi all,

FLR-FP granted (after appeal), but the home office said they can't return my passport because of social distancing rules!!!

Does anybody know what's going on, and why social distancing affecting the return of my passport? Is this considered common practice these days or it is just me?

I appreciate the help

Thank you
By surmising, you might not had the valid leave when had applied the flrfp. If so, then probably your passport might have been held with immigration authorities in order to facilitate the process of your detention and removal by virtue of section Section 17 of the Asylum & Immigration Act 2004. However, since you have now been granted the leave so it would be returned (if they haven't lost in their possession/post) to you despite with delays. The return of passport has no correlation with social distancing rules which might have been conjectured by the UKVI's telephone operators.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rothmans
Newly Registered

Post by rothmans » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:59 pm

My leave was fine when I applied. It is a long story and will summerise it. Back in September 2019, I applied for FLR-LR, however, because I did not complete the 10 years (missing two months), the home office had to refuse my application. I appealed the decision and the judge allowed the appeal based on private life and because of that the home office changed the application to FLR-FP and top up the NHS surcharge (£200).

I know, I could have withdrawn the appeal and applied again since I completed the 10 years now, but that is a bit costly for me at the moment. A couple of days ago they decided to grant the FLR-FP as the judge ruled, and send me brb without the passport. They explained that on the current social distancing etc. But I am not convinced. I hope they didn't lose my passport. I am a bit worried because I still need to apply, later on (different application) for SET(LR). If things eased a bit. Yea I am a bit worried about my passport

rothmans
Newly Registered

Post by rothmans » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:07 pm

This is exactly what they said in the decision letter:

"In line with current advice on social distancing, we have made changes to our working practices. As such, we are unable to facilitate the return of your passport currently. Once these current measures have been lifted, arrangements will be made to return your passport. For those customers that require urgent return of passports, they should refer to the information on our...."

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 am

If I had to guess, and this would only be a guess, it may have to do with a requirement for documents to be returned with a recorded signature on delivery and confirming ID of the recipient, which would not likely be possible with current social distancing guidelines. Delivery companies and Royal Mail have gotten away with using other methods for most items, but for documents like passports they may want to ensure they actually get a signature and see ID to ensure it goes to the right person.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm

geoeng wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 am
If I had to guess, and this would only be a guess, it may have to do with a requirement for documents to be returned with a recorded signature on delivery and confirming ID of the recipient, which would not likely be possible with current social distancing guidelines. Delivery companies and Royal Mail have gotten away with using other methods for most items, but for documents like passports they may want to ensure they actually get a signature and see ID to ensure it goes to the right person.
Except where there aren't sufficient vans and delivery drivers are available there is nothing much else has been affected. Because all deliveries have been made where instead handing over & taking signature the parcel is just kept at distance by taking your name instead signature. That's how delivery companies are behaving and complying with the rule.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rothmans
Newly Registered

Post by rothmans » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi all,

I don't think this has to do with the signature because they said the BRP card will be delivered and requires proof of identity as well.

I think they handle refused (appealed) cases differently. I assume my passport is held by different unit (in case of deportation or something similar) after my refusal with the first application and now they need to facilitate the return. I am not sure whether HO working in full capacity at the moment as well.

I think I can handle all of that except for the loss of my passport. 😔

Thank you all for the replies.

rothmans
Newly Registered

Post by rothmans » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:43 am

Update,
Thank God. The passport's posted through royal mail yesterday.