ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused.com

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Oxteen3065
Newly Registered
Bahrain

Confused.com

Post by Oxteen3065 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:54 am

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that I can get a general guide from this forum about how to help my mother remotely.

My Mother is Resident in Nigeria but she is currently in The USA undergoing treatment for Stage 4 Cancer. She has a 5 Years USA VISA ( she is not a US resident or Citizen but my sister is a Citizen). She often goes to visit my sister and comes back to Nigeria. No overstaying or Visa Issues here.

In August next month, her Nigerian Passport will expire and if there was no Corona Virus, she could have flown briefly and renew the PP in Nigeria. MY Question here is, Must she renew the Passport in Nigeria or she Can still do it in USA, even though she is not a US resident with Social Security Number?

Thanks!!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Confused.com

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

even though she is not a US resident with Social Security Number?
Usually embassies abroad don't renew passports for visitors. This has nothing to do with US authorities but with Nigerian embassies abroad. Actually all embassies are like that. When you reach out to them, they want to see a residence card in the country or similar. If the person can only show a visitor visa, they don't renew the passport. Worst case scenario, if the passport has expired already, they can provide a temporary travel document to travel back home only.

xebec
Australia

Re: Confused.com

Post by xebec » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:07 am

Sorry to hear about your mother's situation. I think the best way is to ask the embassy. Her situation being a cancer patient requiring treatment could call for a passport to be issued on compassionate grounds. Unfortunately cancer patients are on the high risk category with the corona virus and if you write a cover letter to the embassy along with documentation, they might issue you a passport.