ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Benefits with ILR status

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

michaelkane
Newly Registered
Sweden

Claiming Benefits with ILR status

Post by michaelkane » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Dear community,

I am looking for some advice on claiming benefits, our family managed to get ILR status as of Feb 2020 just before the lockdown period. I have two kids, 4 and 6 years old, one of them (4yo) is born here and still on Tier 2 dependent visa, eventually we will apply for citizenship.

Myself, my wife and my daughter (6 yo) now hold ILR status and till now managed without claiming any benefits. I am now thinking of applying for benefits considering below information:

- I earn approximately close to £2500 per month
- My wife is severe asthma patient and not able to do any work, I have to tend to her on weekly basis
- We are not claiming any benefits

Are we entitled to any benefits?
Second if we claim any benefits would it affect our naturalization process in any way?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Claiming Benefits with ILR status

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Are we entitled to any benefits?
Based on your earnings, probably not very much. You can claim child benefit for both your children.
Second if we claim any benefits would it affect our naturalization process in any way?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

michaelkane
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by michaelkane » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm

You can claim child benefit for both your children.
Great thanks! I will look into it, what about my son who is born here and still on Tier 2 visa.

Although we will apply for naturalisation/citizenship shortly, claiming benefits would affect his application on this visa?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Great thanks! I will look into it, what about my son who is born here and still on Tier 2 visa.
It is the parent than claims, NOT the child.
Although we will apply for naturalisation/citizenship shortly, claiming benefits would affect his application on this visa?
No, it is NOT the child that claims.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.