ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife of a Refugee - Same Rules Apply?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Anon132
Sudan

Wife of a Refugee - Same Rules Apply?

Post by Anon132 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some answers. I am looking to apply for citizenship next year after completing 1 year on ILR. My husband was granted 5 years definite leave to remain as a refugee before obtaining ILR.

I am wondering if renewing my passport will have a negative effect on my citizenship application in the future? I understand that refugees should not contact their home country's embassy or have anything to do with them, but does this apply to the wife of the refugee?

I do not intend on visiting my home country, however it's the only way to visit my family who currently reside in the UAE, and unfortunately the UAE does not accept travel documents, it would have to be a passport.

Please bear in mind that his BRP card states "REFUGEE settlement" but mine only states "settlement". Also in all previous paperwork, it states that I'm his dependant and he is my sponsor, but nothing to show that I'm a refugee myself.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Wife of a Refugee - Same Rules Apply?

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Anon132 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some answers. I am looking to apply for citizenship next year after completing 1 year on ILR. My husband was granted 5 years definite leave to remain as a refugee before obtaining ILR.

I am wondering if renewing my passport will have a negative effect on my citizenship application in the future? I understand that refugees should not contact their home country's embassy or have anything to do with them, but does this apply to the wife of the refugee?

I do not intend on visiting my home country, however it's the only way to visit my family who currently reside in the UAE, and unfortunately the UAE does not accept travel documents, it would have to be a passport.

Please bear in mind that his BRP card states "REFUGEE settlement" but mine only states "settlement". Also in all previous paperwork, it states that I'm his dependant and he is my sponsor, but nothing to show that I'm a refugee myself.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
What is your immigration history? I am assuming you joined your husband as a family reunion. You do not classify as a refugee as far as I know. Plus, once you have ILR, you are not dependent on your husband anymore now. You can apply for citizenship in your own right. Having your home country passport renewed will have no affect on your application.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm

I really appreciate your quick reply CULLINAN.

Yes, you're right, I was born and bred in the UAE, so applied for family reunion visa from there rather than my home country (Sudan), since then moved to the UK as my husband's dependent and recently obtained ILR earlier this year.

Many thanks again, I'm very grateful.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:34 pm

Anon132 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm
I really appreciate your quick reply CULLINAN.

Yes, you're right, I was born and bred in the UAE, so applied for family reunion visa from there rather than my home country (Sudan), since then moved to the UK as my husband's dependent and recently obtained ILR earlier this year.

Many thanks again, I'm very grateful.
As far as I know, for someone on a family reunion does not have any restrictions to even go back to the home country or anywhere because you are not classified as a refugee.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:39 pm

That's good news.

I've also applied for the Conventional Travel Document recently but haven't heard back yet due to Covid-19 delays. The reason I applied for it is because the Sudanese embassy here does not issue nor renew any passports. My only option is to obtain a travel document to travel to Brussels and get a new Sudanese passport issued. That's why I need the travel document.

If I was able to get a new passport, do I need to inform the Home Office and return the travel document? Or is it not required?

Thanks again for your kind help.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:43 pm

“ A person granted entry clearance or leave to remain for family reunion purposes will normally be expected to keep their own national passport valid or obtain a passport from their own country of origin. This is because they have not been recognised as refugees in their own right.

All Convention Travel Documents (CTDs) issued to successful family reunion applicants since 21 February 2011 should contain an endorsement making it clear that the holder cannot be a sponsor under family reunion rules in their own right.“

Page 29

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 am

Did you apply for a Blue Convention TD OR Black Certificate of Travel?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1_2018.pdf

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 am

The links have been really helpful and basically answered all my questions. I've applied for the blue travel document along with my husband's travel document application to renew his.

The weird thing is he got his new travel document back pretty much straight away but I haven't heard anything from them yet since early March. It probably has to do with the pandemic situation as well as it being my first time applying for one. But the links you've sent me have put my mind at ease that I'm unlikely to be refused considering the rules they set out themselves.

You're a star. Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:51 am

Anon132 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 am
The links have been really helpful and basically answered all my questions. I've applied for the blue travel document along with my husband's travel document application to renew his.

The weird thing is he got his new travel document back pretty much straight away but I haven't heard anything from them yet since early March. It probably has to do with the pandemic situation as well as it being my first time applying for one. But the links you've sent me have put my mind at ease that I'm unlikely to be refused considering the rules they set out themselves.

You're a star. Thank you.
Cheers. Good luck