ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What benifits can we claim ?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

surfsumi
Mood:

What benifits can we claim ?

Post by surfsumi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 am

I hope you all are keeping well during this difficult time.
I'm a settled person & my younger child is British. But my spouse & elder child on family visa ( with NRPF).
My wife lost her Job just before the lock-down & searching for jobs ever since but no luck so far. Some days she applies for 5-10 jobs including very super market / care etc but no luck so far.
I'm working full time ( 2 jobs) around 24K per annum ( London) but our finances getting so desperate now. Literately credit cards are subsidising expense now even though we live well below our means.
I'm claiming Child benefits since last month for both children. I'm wondering what other benefits we could claim without breaching immigration rules. My wife & child due to complete their 10 years in uk next year so I know I have to be careful when it comes to public funds. I would appreciate respected guru or senior member would kindly advice on this.

Have a great day.
Stay safe.
SURESH

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: What benifits can we claim ?

Post by JB007 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:07 am

How old are your children?

surfsumi
Mood:

Post by surfsumi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 am

10 & 5 years old.
SURESH

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 am

If you haven't signed an undertaking to keep your wife and she has contributed to the UK for 2 tax years (legally worked and paid Type 1 National Insurance) she can look at claiming New Style Jobseeker's Allowance. It's limited for 6 months and she will have to prove she is looking for work, but they won't take your earnings and joint capital into account as this is a contribution based benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

If you have Settled Status or ILR, you can look at claming Universal Credit.
https://www.immigrationboards.com/claim ... 02126.html

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

You claim UC as a couple but unlike the Working Tax Credit benefit, UC does not give extra benefit money for your NRPF partner. You have a maximum allowance which will be higher as you have a child. Any money you earn abouve that allowance is reduced at 62p in the pound. Any New Style Jobseeker's Allowance payment for your wife will be reduced from your UC claim pound for pound.

If renting, it's unlikely the benefit maximum allowance for a private rental will cover the monthly rent as benefits only pay at the 30th percentile of rents in the area. Sometimes it doesn't cover the full rent of of social housing either.

Be aware that the extra £20 a week on the standard allowance of Universal Credit, is only temporary due to coronavirus and will end in April 2021.

The UK now has a two child limit for Income based benefits (which Universal Credit is) which means there is not extrra money for more than two children.

When your wife has been granted ILR, she can be added to your Universal Credit claim. Unlike the benefits Universal Credit replaces, Universal Credit has work requierments, for both parents. If you are an employee, you will be required to earn a minimum of 35 hours a week at National Minimum wage (which you do) and your wife 25 hours a week (based on the age of your yourngest child) to avoid the Universal Credit conditions. Once your youngest child is age 12, your wife will be required to also work at least 35 hours a week at NMW (70 hours a week at NMW between you). Self Employed low income claimants have different rules with Universal Credit as the UK welfare state will no longer support a failed business.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 am
If you haven't signed an undertaking to keep your wife and she has contributed to the UK for 2 tax years (legally worked and paid Type 1 National Insurance) she can look at claiming New Style Jobseeker's Allowance. It's limited for 6 months and she will have to prove she is looking for work, but they won't take your earnings and joint capital into account as this is a contribution based benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

You claim UC as a couple but unlike the Working Tax Credit benefit, UC does not give extra benefit money for your NRPF partner. You have a maximum allowance which will be higher as you have a child. Any money you earn abouve that allowance is reduced at 62p in the pound. Any New Style Jobseeker's Allowance payment for your wife will be reduced from your UC claim pound for pound.
If your wife is awarded New Sytle Jobseeker's Allowance, that will give her a Type 1 National Insurance Credit towards a UK state pension. Universal Credit only gives a Type 1 NI credit (and she can't have this why she is NRPF) and although a NI Credit is not the same as a NI contribution, this Type 1 credit from JSA might help her meet part of the requirements to claim New Style JSA again in future if she loses her job again.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 pm

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits
JB007 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 pm
Universal Credit only gives a Type 1 NI credit
Correction to above type, Universal Credit only gives a type 3 National Inusrance credit, whereas New Style Jobseekers (for those who have contributed to the UK) gives a type 1 NI credit.

surfsumi
Mood:

Post by surfsumi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 pm

Thank you very much for in detail " make sense " reply. She has applied for "contribution based" JSA through HMRC website but yet to receive a confirmation may be they are really busy :). Thank you once again & stay safe.
SURESH