ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA family member holding Permanent Residence to claim child benefit while application for settled status .

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Unluckyeea2

Non EEA family member holding Permanent Residence to claim child benefit while application for settled status .

Post by Unluckyeea2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 am

Dear moderators and member ,
I am dual national EEA/Uk and my wife is non EEA and holding Permanent Residence Card( 10 year card ) made application for Settled Status and got COA and waiting for Settled Status approval . She is not working because of looking after kids and so no HMRC records . Can she Start claim a child benefit for our UK born British child on her name only? What will happen if she continues claim child benefit beyond 31 December 2020 and settled status application still going on that time? After 31 December 2020 Permanent Residence Card is no longer valid . Please share your knowledge .
Thank You.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Non EEA family member holding Permanent Residence to claim child benefit while application for settled status .

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Unluckyeea2 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 am
Dear moderators and member ,
I am dual national EEA/Uk and my wife is non EEA and holding Permanent Residence Card( 10 year card ) made application for Settled Status and got COA and waiting for Settled Status approval . She is not working because of looking after kids and so no HMRC records . Can she Start claim a child benefit for our UK born British child on her name only? What will happen if she continues claim child benefit beyond 31 December 2020 and settled status application still going on that time? After 31 December 2020 Permanent Residence Card is no longer valid . Please share your knowledge .
Thank You.
I don't know the answer to your question but as you hold British citizenship, why don't you start the Child Benefit claim in your name, then when your wife gets Settled Status you can change the claim to her name? A Child Benefit claim can only be backdated for 3 months.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Non EEA family member holding Permanent Residence to claim child benefit while application for settled status .

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Have you check the official website:
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/eligibility
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Unluckyeea2

Post by Unluckyeea2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:03 am

JB007 and Alterhase58 ,Thank you for reply .
I can claim child benefit on my name but I think if my wife starts claiming on her name
It will help to show her recods with HMRC as she hasn’t been working for five years and no records with HMRC may impact for her Settled Status application. Thank You.