ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Total Immigration Cost From Fiance(e) Visa to British citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SteveHM
Newly Registered

Total Immigration Cost From Fiance(e) Visa to British citizenship

Post by SteveHM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:52 am

HI, I'm trying to get my head around all the cost of getting my fiancee married in the UK, up until the British citizenship.
This is what I understand the process to be. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • Visa application 1: UK fiancé(e) visa (6 month duration) - applying from outside the UK
  • Visa application 2: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK
  • Visa application 3: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK
  • Visa application 4: Indefinite Leave to remain - applying from inside the UK
  • Visa application 5: British citizenship - applying from inside the UK

Visa application 1: UK fiancé(e) visa (6 month duration) - applying from outside the UK
Initial Pay the Home Office fee. - £1,523
***Immigration Health Surcharge. - £1,200 when submit the FLR(M) visa application (1)

Visa application 2: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK
The FLR M Home Office fee is - £1,033
***Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) - £1,000

Visa application 3: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK - taking you up to the 5 Years
The FLR M Home Office fee is - £1,033.
Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) - £1,000

Visa application 4: Indefinite Leave to remain - applying from inside the UK
Indefinite leave to remain - £2,389

Visa application 5: British citizenship - applying from inside the UK
British Citizenship exam - £150

This is were I'm confused
The *** text highlighted in blue I'm not so sure of. Whether the £1,200 (IHS) you pay within the UK fiancé(e) Visa is the cost to cover the first FLR extension 1 of £1,000 (IHS) ??
Also, does the £1,523 cost of the UK fiancé(e) Visa cover the FLR extension 1 ??
Basically negating these costs

So maybe the total cost is about £2,033 less ??
The Total cost is £9,178 -£2,033
Bringing it to £7,145.

Be grateful if someone could help clear this up for me.
Many thanks.
Steven

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Total Immigration Cost From Fiance(e) Visa to British citizenship

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 am

Note that the fees stated are the CURRENT fees. All fees increase in April each year. Immigration Health Surcharge is increasing in October from £400 per year to £625 per year.
Visa application 1: UK fiancé(e) visa (6 month duration) - applying from outside the UK
Initial Pay the Home Office fee. - £1,523
***Immigration Health Surcharge. - £1,200 when submit the FLR(M) visa application (1)
There is no IHS payable for a 6 month fiance visa, so the £1200 is irrelevant here.
Visa application 2: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK
The FLR M Home Office fee is - £1,033
***Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) - £1,000
The £1033 fee will likely increase in April. IHS will be ££1,562.50 for the first FLR(M) after the fiance visa as this will likely be AFTER October 2020.
Visa application 3: FLR(M) visa (30 month duration) 2.5 Years - applying from inside the UK - taking you up to the 5 Years
Again, the £1033 fee will increase by the time you get to the second FLR(M) and the IHS will be more, likely to remain at £1,562.50 for a 2.5 year visa.
Visa application 4: Indefinite Leave to remain - applying from inside the UK
Indefinite leave to remain - £2,389
This is the current fee. Will also increase each April and will likely be much more by the time you get to this stage.
Visa application 5: British citizenship - applying from inside the UK
British Citizenship exam - £150
It is currently £50 for the Life in the UK test and £150 for the English test (which is also required for ILR anyway so need to do twice). The current fee to apply for citizenship is £1330, excluding the passport application cost. This is also highly likely to be more by the time you get to this stage.
This is were I'm confused
The *** text highlighted in blue I'm not so sure of. Whether the £1,200 (IHS) you pay within the UK fiancé(e) Visa is the cost to cover the first FLR extension 1 of £1,000 (IHS) ??
A Fiance visa does NOT have an IHS fee payable. You pay the visa fee for the fiance visa of £1523, which is completely separate to all the fees due to FLR(M) and IHS.
Also, does the £1,523 cost of the UK fiancé(e) Visa cover the FLR extension 1 ??
No it does not. For the FLR(M) visa you have to pay the visa fee of (currently) £1033 PLUS the IHS of £1,562.50.
Basically negating these costs
IHS is increasing in October.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SteveHM
Newly Registered

Post by SteveHM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:33 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
They really have you over a barrel once you have your first Visa. The consistent increase in fees, the worry of Jobs stability and the number of applications to get to Citizenship. Sounds very much like a stressful 5 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Also note that applying for naturalisation (British citizenship) is not an immigration application - it's under the British Nationality Act which has different requirements (around residency and "Good Character" mainly). Immigration is under regulations which can be amended by the government at any time, unlike an act of parliament, the BNA.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 am
A Fiance visa does NOT have an IHS fee payable.
This means she will need to buy health insurance as she will only be able to use the NHS without having to pay, when she gets her FLR(M)visa (because she pays the Immigration Health Surcharge with FLR(M)).

If she doesn't have insurance to pay, they add 50% to the bill.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
This means she will need to buy health insurance as she will only be able to use the NHS without having to pay, when she gets her FLR(M)visa (because she pays the Immigration Health Surcharge with FLR(M)).

Private medical insurance can never operate unilaterally without the involvement of NHS. A lot of claims aren't processed without the NHS referral for which still the person can be charged by NHS.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 am

seagul wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am
JB007 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Private medical insurance can never operate unilaterally without the involvement of NHS. A lot of claims aren't processed without the NHS referral for which still the person can be charged by NHS.
She can use the NHS on her fiance visa, but not for free if that is a billable service.

The NHS can refuse to treat before payment is given if it is not life saving. They add 50% to the bill if there is no insurance.

Life saving treatment is given without payment up front, but if billable, will be billed and will have 50% added to the bill if there is no insurance.

NHS debt over £500 will affect any Leave to Enter/Leave to Remain visas wanted, including but not limited to, a spouse visa and visitior. The NHS advise UKVI of any debt owed by that person.

Arriving in the UK without health insutrance is not a good idea. An accident or medical emergency can happen at any time.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am

JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 am
seagul wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am
JB007 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

She can use the NHS on her fiance visa, but not for free if that is a billable service.

The NHS can refuse to treat before payment is given if it is not life saving. They add 50% to the bill if there is no insurance.

Life saving treatment is given without payment up front, but if billable, will be billed and will have 50% added to the bill if there is no insurance.

NHS debt over £500 will affect any Leave to Enter/Leave to Remain visas wanted, including but not limited to, a spouse visa and visitior. The NHS advise UKVI of any debt owed by that person.

Arriving in the UK without health insutrance is not a good idea. An accident or medical emergency can happen at any time.
You almost given reply to yourself. Anyway the third party links are not allowed under the forum rules which you can Google search by yourself then will read the contents especially in smaller print of their (private medical insurance) policy documents. You will be amazed to see a sizeable exceptions/exclusions such as pre'exisiting conditions and also several treatments will be excluded from the cover means contrariwisely you will sit rely on NHS. Life threatening & emergency is open to all which already a commonly prevalent belief.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am
You will be amazed to see a sizeable exceptions/exclusions such as pre'exisiting conditions and also several treatments will be excluded from the cover means contrariwisely you will sit rely on NHS.
I doubt they will get an inusrurer to cover their exisiting conditions. They will need to make sure they have the money to cover their own medical bills if they need to use the NHS.
seagul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am
Life threatening & emergency is open to all which already a commonly prevalent belief.
It's amazing how many belive that, or think the NHS is free to all, but it's not true. Operations, stay on a ward, treatment needed afterwards, they will be billed.

Treatment in A&E and in the ambulance is free, atm. England ran a consultation to see if people wanted this free treatment to end as British citizens are not given this free treatment in other countries and the result was they wanted this to be billed too. Some countries already have reciprocal health agreements with the UK.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 pm
I doubt they will get an inusrurer to cover their exisiting conditions.
Which insurer? They themselves are insurer. You mean an insurer need another insurer. Also there is almost no policy where pre-existings get covered. Moreover, due to cvd19 the list of exclusions have been ceaselessly amplifying.

JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 pm
It's amazing how many belive that, or think the NHS is free to all, but it's not true. Operations, stay on a ward, treatment needed afterwards, they will be billed.

Treatment in A&E and in the ambulance is free,

Above is again your reply to your own presentation.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Which insurer? They themselves are insurer. You mean an insurer need another insurer. Also there is almost no policy where pre-existings get covered. Moreover, due to cvd19 the list of exclusions have been ceaselessly amplifying.

Above is again your reply to your own presentation.
I'm sorry but I always struggle to understand you are trying to say.

I was stating that those on a fiance visa have to pay to use the NHS if that treatment is billable and it is best to have insurance to avoid the 50% addition to the bill if there is no insurance.

Everybody has to ensure they can pay for any medical costs when going to another country for a short while and that includes coming to the UK.

If they have exisiting conditions, they need to ensure they have the funds to pay their medical bills.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 pm

JB007 wrote:

This means she will need to buy health insurance as she will only be able to use the NHS without having to pay,
Well to make that pinpoint by referring back to your exact evow as above, you said that private medical insurance can empower you to access the NHS freely which actually it isn't. You have been edified earlier that private medical insurance never include pre-existing, chronic illnesses and much more due to cvd19 implications. In nutshell the private health insurance system can never operate without NHS means you will still be liable to NHS. All that clearly debunk your first claim as highlighted at above and anything else you are saying is superfluously irrelevant to the subject matter.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 pm
JB007 wrote:

This means she will need to buy health insurance as she will only be able to use the NHS without having to pay,
Well to make that pinpoint by referring back to your exact evow as above, you said that private medical insurance can empower you to access the NHS freely which actually it isn't.
That quote is only half my sentence. I did not say that "private medical insurance can empower you to access the NHS freely ", you made that up.

Here is the full quote
JB007 wrote:

That latter part clearly also covered existing conditions and other conditions that an insurer will not cover e.g. pregnacy and birth. It's common sense that insurers will not cover exisiting conditions.

Nobody is stupid enough to think they can pay a few hundred to a travel insurer and in exchange get them to pay thousands of pounds of medical care for existing conditions, when they travel to another country.
seagul wrote:
You have been edified earlier that private medical insurance never include pre-existing, chronic illnesses and much more due to cvd19 implications.
That was later, in repoonse to you talking about existing conditions.
seagul wrote:
IIn nutshell the private health insurance system can never operate without NHS means you will still be liable to NHS.
No it doesn't. The UK also has private hospitals, private GPs/clinics. Some NHS GPs and consultants also do private work.
seagul wrote:
All that clearly debunk your first claim as highlighted at above and anything else you are saying is superfluously irrelevant to the subject matter.
Or you could reread the posts.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Well to make that pinpoint by referring back to your exact evow as above, you said that private medical insurance can empower you to access the NHS freely which actually it isn't. [/quote]

That quote is only half my sentence. I did not say that "private medical insurance can empower you to access the NHS freely ", you made that up.

Here is the full quote
JB007 wrote:

Your second para is referring to flrm where IHS will have to be paid but you actually avowed mainly over fiancee visa.
JB007 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 pm
No it doesn't. The UK also has private hospitals, private GPs/clinics. Some NHS GPs and consultants also do private work.
Again same as said above still the exclusions which have been mounting up due to cvd19 asymptomatic cases will remain uncovered means you will have to stick to NHS. Moreover, a number of covers demands first the referral from your NHS/local GP.